Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plywood vs Particle Board cabinet boxes and offgasing

Posted by pseudochef (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 22, 13 at 21:06

I know this question has been asked numerous times but I'll ask it again. We've been given a choice of Sequoia Cabinets (Shiloh's particle board box version) or the regular Shiloh brand with plywood boxes. The Sequoia option would lower our price by $5000 which is significant to us. My husband is concerned about the potential for offgasing with the particle board ones along with durability over the long haul. Both types of cabinets have the ESP certification for low formaldehyde but the requirements are stricter for plywood. Does the small difference in formaldehyde really make that much of a difference health wise since they both have some small amount of formaldehyde. Also, we have the option of getting Cardell cabinets through another contractor and his price on the all plywood box version would be lower than the Shiloh all plywood version. Decisions, decisions...

Does anyone have any good info on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plywood vs Particle Board cabinet boxes and offgasing

Orange juice has naturally occurring formaldehyde, and beets have so much formaldehyde that if they were a building material, they would be banned in California. Your liver MAKES formaldehyde as part of your normal metabolism - breast milk has formaldehyde in it

Don't worry about it as a consumer.

o
RE: Plywood vs Particle Board cabinet boxes and offgasing

I do hate the smell of anything new that's offgassing. Sooo annoying, and makes me dizzy. It's been a month of airing out my new Tempurpedic, stomping on it, finally sleeping on it...it still smells! Doesn't seem to matter what furniture I'm buying, at whatever price tag...everything is STINKY today!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here