Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherriz_gw

Warming drawer - do you use? Where in kitchen?

sherriz
14 years ago

I'm considering adding a warming drawer to our new remodel. I would love to hear from people who have a WD and if they use it (how often and for what) Or do people regret losing the space?

Also, where do you have the WD located? Specifically, at what height do you have it? On the bottom drawer level, middle or top? I don't anticipate using it everyday so don't want to lose access to top drawers but bending over with hot foods also doesn't seem appealing.

Comments (7)

• Buehl
    14 years ago

The most important thing that distinguishes a regretted Warming Drawer (WD) and a much-used WD is...location, location, location!

The best location for a warming drawer is next to or under your cooktop or range. It should be close enough that it's easy to use and you don't have to walk far w/the hot pan/dish.

Probably the best height is in the position of the middle drawer of a standard height 3-drawer drawer base...not under a wall oven, the bottom of a range, or the bottom drawer position in a drawer base. However, if you have no choice and it's b/w locating it far away or near the floor, then I think height is less important than proximity to the cooktop/range...i.e., better close by and low than far away and high!

When asked here a couple of years ago who used/did not use their WD, the overwhelming majority fell into two camps:

Those who had placed their warming drawer a fair distance from their range/cooktop and did not use it

...and...

Those who had placed their warming drawer next to or under their cooktop/range and did use it (for its intended purpose!)

The other thing you have to get in the habit of doing is turning it on 10 minutes or so b/f you use it. I usually turn it on when I begin cooking. You want it warm when you put the food in it, not after!

So, to answer your questions.... I use my warming drawer quite a bit, 4 or 5 nights a week, at least
    I use it to...

....* keep veggies warm b/c I usually cook them separately in the MW

....* keep a meal warm if someone has a meeting or game and cannot be home

....* keep any food warm when the rest of the meal isn't ready

....* to warm plates for dinner and serving bowls for potatoes, veggies, etc. It's located next to my cooktop and in the position of the middle drawer in a 30" 3-drawer base.

Warming drawer with cooktop to the right...

• theanimala
    14 years ago

buehl, never thought about location, but it makes sense. I have mine between my ovens and my cooktop, so the locatoin is pretty handy.

One question I have for you is what temperature do you use? Mine has a pretty large spread, and I'm not sure what to use for say warming plates up vs keeping food warm without over cooking them. Any recommendations?

• sherriz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all who commented. The middle drawer location makes sense b/c I couldn't imagine bending so low to the ground with hot food. A # of people have said that since I will be having a DO, I can use one oven for warming at 100 degrees. So, what exactly does a Warming Drawer do differently than an oven? Is it that I can keep plates in the WD and not the oven? Is it more economical to use?

• chicagoans
    14 years ago

Our warming drawer is in the island (right under the counter; 2 regular drawers are below it) on the side that faces the oven wall. We use it quite often for keeping pancakes, pizza, appetizers, etc. warm, and warming plates. It is especially handy when we have a group for dinner and the oven is being used for other things, or when we don't want to heat the oven for small things (e.g., bread, pancakes.) I use mine enough that I've never considered it a luxury. (But I don't have a double oven. My second oven is in a small kitchen area in our lower level.)

• tracie.erin
    14 years ago

I think warming drawers usually have some kind of humidity control so you can leave the food in there longer without drying it out, as opposed to warming in a regular oven.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Yes, most WDs have a crisp/moist control. Additionally, you have greater control by having a range of settings. My WD also has a "Proof" setting, but since I don't make bread outside my bread machine, I don't use it.

It also takes less energy to warm a WD than a full-size oven.

That being said, if it's b/w having a single oven + WD or double ovens, I would take the double ovens b/c, as others have said, you can use an oven as a warmer even if you don't have the moist/crisp options...just keep an eye on whatever is in the oven staying warm so it doesn't dry out.

Some MWs (like my MW Drawer) have a "Keep Warm" option. However, I have found it's really only good for soup, chili, & sauces. Anything else gets overcooked when using "Keep Warm".

Other uses for a WD include keeping take-out food (pizza, etc.) & appetizers warm and crisping stale items.

My WD has 3 temperature options: Proof, Low, Medium, & High

I usually use Medium but have occasionally used Low & High. I've never used Proof.

This is what my WD temps are: Proof: 80oF
    Low: 140oF
    Med: 170oF
    High: 210oF
    Note: The temperature settings may be infinite b/w Proof & High b/c there are no "notched" settings...the knob freely & smoothly moves b/w the settings.

Food Type..............Temp.....Moisture
    **Plate Warmer.........Low......N/A (doesn't matter)
    For CRISP foods:
    **Bacon................High.....Open
    **Bread/hard rolls.....Medium...Open
    **Fried foods..........High.....Open
    **Pies/two crusts......Medium...Open
    **Pizza................High.....Open
    **Potatoes/baked.......High.....Open
    **Tortilla Chips.......Low......Open
    For MOIST Foods:
    **Beef/med/well done...Medium...Closed
    **Bread/soft rolls.....Medium...Closed
    **Casseroles...........Medium...Closed