Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ironcook

Help me get past the Chicken Nuggets button or move on...

ironcook
13 years ago

hi... stop laughing!

someone already posted about this, but i am completely serious.

i would like to get this range, but cannot decide because of the stupid chicken nuggets button.

i can't seem to choose a hood until i know the style of the range, and i can't place my cabinet order until i decide on the type of hood.

so, should this be a deal breaker? dh proposed a sticker... and there is always a sharpie. :)

Frigidaire hybrid induction range FPCS3085LF:

Here is a link that might be useful: Frigidaire hybrid induction range FPCS3085LF

Comments (63)

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I'm pretty easy going, but that idiot button would bug me big time.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I don't know... I think it is kind of funny.... I may even enjoy how stupid the button is as it would be a great conversation starter. It is almost like when you see a mocked up prop on Leno or Letterman. Hard to believe they seriously put that on an appliance.
    Now, every other range you could consider will seem stodgy/boring by comparison, lol
    If you view it as a novelty, it could be a good laugh....

• ironcook
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks, everyone... i think! ;)

unfortunately it's the only induction range, hybrid or full, at this price point except the samsung.

the samsung has an odd burner layout and rear controls.

next up in the price line is the ge, and dh said no way to the curves in front. note that it is also freestanding with rear controls without dials:

Here is a link that might be useful: GE Profile Induction Range PHB925SPSS

• User
    13 years ago

Do you currently have a working old range that you might consider keeping in the new kitchen, until someone puts out an induction model that you really like? It seems the choices in induction are expanding rather quickly.

• User
    13 years ago

...but since you want a slide-in that has ramifications for your countertop now, doesn't it? I didn't think of that before I posted above.

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

I vote for silver tape, but have no idea if silver tape is made that small.

• User
    13 years ago

I think you need to walk away from this issue for a couple days and come back to it.

It sounds like you'll just have to get over either the nugget button or the rear controls, or just spend more on appliances and less somewhere else. (Or, spend more on appliances, and more somewhere else, which seems to happen a lot on this board!)

I have a Frigidaire myself, not even one as nice as this, and I honestly don't even notice the buttons that I don't use, and I don't understand why anyone else ever would. The rear controls on the other hand, will definitely extend into your backsplash area. If you are splurging on a fancy backsplash, you should get a slide in.

A nugget button is not going to change the overall look and feel of the finished kitchen one bit. The focal points will all be elsewhere.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

In defense of Frigidaire, perhaps that button is somehow rigged to the induction coils to sterilize anyone who pushes it.

• northcarolina
    13 years ago

Does it have to be a range, or can you fit in a cooktop and separate oven? Ikea has an induction cooktop for about $1000 and it might still work with your budget after you add their oven. (Bearing in mind that I have no personal knowledge of these beyond what I see online.)

• morgne
    13 years ago

I had something related only to the "hybridity" of the item.

I took a client out one afternoon to show her an induction cooktop in use so that she could judge for herself. The nearest place to her house that had an active cooktop had an active HYBRID cooktop.

I turned on one burner and showed her how it boiled water without producing heat. She promptly clapped in delight, turned on a second burner and tried to burn herself. I screamed and grabbed her arm before she could set her hand down on the now blazing red burner. Because it was a hybrid SOME of the burners put off heat and the others didn't.

I would be the first to say that it's easy to know which ones are hybrids and which are not... but I will never, ever, ever, specify a hybrid again. The sheer panic that I had watching her reach towards the burner has turned me off of them for life.

Further, now that we have induction I find it really awkward in other peoples kitchens to remember that I can easily burn myself or others if I set a towel on the cooktop or something like that. After a while, the cooktop just started to read as a "safe" surface. Which is great! I love it! But it's another reason I wouldn't take a hybrid if you gave it to me for free. If only part of the surface is safe I would find it really scary.

Oh, and yeah, the chicken nugget thing is creepy.

• ironcook
    Original Author
    13 years ago

very interesting responses! the problem with the other thread is that it kind of meandered off topic.

@janet_425: you are a very rational person and absolutely right... if you are talking to the left side of my brain! if only the right side would listen. :) this range has been on the back burner (sorry) for awhile, which is why i just need to decide or move on. the issue is really induction or not (because of chicken nugget button)... spend more, better not.

@morgne: now that's a very interesting story... and something i would not have thought of at all. i'm getting forgetful enough as it is, so i need to reflect on that. thanks for pointing that out.

• macybaby
    13 years ago

Wow Morgne, I had never considered that, but after having an induction cooktop, I could see myself doing JUST THAT with a hybrid. I know I'd forget, put something on the radiant burner, get ticked that it wasn't heating and move it to the induction.

And then forget that the burner was HOT and put something else on top of it.

I've only had the induction for a year, but after one week DH said we will NEVER have a radiant cooktop (range or separate) again. I think if I went back I'd be cussing out the cooktop all the time. The control with the induction is so much better, the cleanup is so much easier (with hybrid you'll have one side easy to clean and one a royal pain - interesting . . .)

The only reason I could see for getting a hybrid is if you have a pan that you simply can't do without and it won't work on the induction. I actually have two like that, they are my aluminum pressure canners. And those boys don't come in stainless!

• blondie859111
    13 years ago

Oh, this is killing me. I bought the whole line of these applicances, and they were delivered recently. They are really beautiful, but the idea of a chicken nuggets button really stopped me in my trackes. I don't know if I have ever eaten a chicken nugget, and am not sure what nugget meat is, but alas, its boldly displayed on my "Professional" range and again on my wall oven.
    What were they thinking!
    I do have to say the fridge is beautiful- but I am a long time fan of their appliances so I am biased- as is every other appliance. I have had people gasp when they look at them they are so amazingly good looking all lined up (in my living room because we're still under construction).
    I just have to look past that humiliating button...... and enjoy the beautiful appliances!
    Good luck with your decision!

• noellabelle
    13 years ago

I was all set to buy their double oven range that also had the dreaded chicken nugget button. I was going to suck it up b/c the next one closest in price was at least $500 more.

I ended up finding an electrolux duel fuel double oven on cl for much less than the frigidaire, so I will hopefully have that hooked up within a week.

• billp1
    13 years ago

Looking for one with a Happy Meal button.

• kngwd
    13 years ago

OK....so I don't have a "professional" style range, but I have the chicken nuggets button. And it doesn't bother me in the least! I do have 2 chicken nugget-aholics, but I never use the button and never even notice it anymore. I will admit, however, to probably being the most laid-back person I have ever met....besides DH!

• Fori
    13 years ago

I think it's a gorgeous range, nuggets or no! But can I repeat the badness of hybrid? Bad bad bad bad. Are you sure you can't do something else?

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Blondie - think chicken slurry. Chicken nuggets are the result of pressurizing chicken to the point of liquidity and shooting them into a metal die for molding. mmmm.

I'd use a coleman camp stove before accepting something with a built in button for chicken nuggets.

Maybe. OTOH, we are adults and life is about compromise, right? I'm pretty sure you'd not notice the thing soon enough. Just take a sharpie to it and blank out the lettering. It might look icky but probably less icky than the daily reminder of such an offense to the avian world in your yummy new kitchen.

I'm really, really bemused to see so many people agreeing with this knee-jerk horrified reaction. It was my immediate reaction and then I scolded myself for being so petty... until I read all the legions of others simililarly petty! Could be that once you realize how many people completely agree with you about how violating this stupid button is, you can move on and just accept that you like the range for other reasons and you'll accept the more important reasons over the petty one.

And then, all that said, I hope you're listening really, really carefully to the much more substantive horror of the hybrid range. That sounds like sufficient, "grown up" reason to reject it actually! And your innocent question has enlightened and gotten a whole lot of people thinking too. That's really a great, good thing. Thank you!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

Well, you know, for me the hybrid thing is actually not a bad thing. I mostly cook just for myself and realistically the two induction burners will be all I'll need about 90% of the time. On the other hand, in this area NOBODY knows what induction is (the appliance sales guy in HD explained to me that it's for people who are "prententious"), so if I had to sell unexpectedly the radiant side would actually be a bigger plus to my potential buyers.

But ironcook is right--the layout on the Samsung is just plain horrible. To me, it's a bigger deal breaker than hybrid is, and the back of that Samsung is hugely tall, too.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Suggest you send a link to this thread to Frigidaire's marketing dept.

• morgne
    13 years ago

Macybaby,

I think it may be that until you actually HAVE an induction cooktop It's just impossible to believe how quickly you get used to there being no heat there. I always think to myself that I'd remember... but then I think about the couple of times in my life maybe I've scorced a dishtowl on a plain ol electric coil stove... and then I watch my husband lean on the ctop.

• advertguy2
    13 years ago

All of you have obviously never had underdone or overdone chicken nuggets. It is so frustrating trying to get it just right. Kudo's to Frigidaire for making life easier for the common man!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Morgne, you make a very important point--for everybody but especially for those with children. Thank you!

• blondie859111
    13 years ago

Correction- I bought the electric range. Not the hybrid. I read a lot of reviews on the hybrid and was not brave enough to try it.
    Alaris- I am pretty sure after reading what you wrote a chicken nugget will never pass my lips.
    advertguy- The idea of the nugget option on a "professional" line (even though many argue that this is not really a professional line but it looks super) is that one has some cooking ability- hence the word professional. On my range, and on the wall oven- it's so offensive. I would guess they did not query woman with cooking experience when that put that option on.
    We've all had overcooked/undercooked meals- but are chicken nuggets so important to the consumer they need a special button to get them right?
    I splurged for these appliances because I am an experienced baker and wanted to enjoy a great looking- well performing set of ovens, not because I demand perfect nuggets. Nugget button is a real miss in my opinion.

• ironcook
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks everyone; this has been a great discussion! fun, too.

if you didn't read morgne's post about the danger of a hybrid cooktop, please do. it was a very important contribution to this thread. thanks, morgne for sharing it.

just to give you an idea:

4 votes for no way/no way hybrid/no frigidaire;
    7 votes for okay if the only choice/but it would bug me;
    3 votes for i have it/i deal with it;

the rest were other comments/observations.

we are still leaning toward getting this range because we only use two burners 95% of the time. if we like the induction, the others won't get used. fortunately the burner/knob layout is conducive to this.

and this is the best choice price-wise for us to try induction at all. if we end up being the one in one bazillion people who don't like induction, we aren't stuck, either.

thanks for sharing your feelings, too. it made me feel not so alone! this is a great group. :)

• ironcook
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oops... maybe "votes" was not the best word choice... but you know what i mean... i think.

and i was mainly referring to the "chicken nuggets" button, not the hybrid issue.

• Fori
    13 years ago

It looks so very nice. Hey--I have a ~10 year old Frigidaire freezer and the sticker that says "Frigidaire" peeled right off (and got stuck back on upside down). You need one of those right over your nugget button.

If you're truly OK with hybrid, okay.

The nugget button you can defeat.

It's a great looking stove.

Go for it.

• traceee
    13 years ago

OOOOOOOh....I recently posted a question about this EXACT range on the Appliance Forum. I am trying to help SIL find
    a decent induction slide in range for under $2000.00.

Problem is brands are limited. GE not popular, here on GW and Electrolux is overbudget. I sent her this posting and told her to revisit induction cooktop.

Any hope of finding a slide-in induction range under $2000.00? She is running out of choices!!! Any suggestions are welcome!

• clg7067
    13 years ago

First, it IS hilarious! LOL! Second, it is otherwise a beautiful range. I think I could live with the chicken nugget feature and the hybrid, since I also just cook for myself. So, it's going on the top of my list. By the time I'm ready for it in about 2 years, I'm sure it will have changed.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Can't you just imagine a bunch of sage men sitting around a boardroom solemnly OKing the newest product line in professional cooking ... with a chicken nugget button?

If you like the idea of chicken slurry in manufacture of chicken nuggets, check out this week's Wait Wait Don't Tell me on the Taco Bell thing. I suspect it's the same kind of deal. Ew ick.

I know about the chicken nuggets because many long years ago the classmate of a cousin's was the child of whoever came up with the brilliant idea of casting chicken in a die. Made him mighty rich. That man has a lot to answer for. I gather the pressurized chicken slurry was a technological breakthrough. So gross. That could well be what tipped me to forswear meat for the following 25 years or so. I probably coached it in some heavy political vestments but at root, I'm guessing I was grossed out by the image of chicken slurry.

• blondie859111
    13 years ago

I really do understand where people are going with the Electrolux. I tried very hard to love their line because the money difference would have been fine with me- but I thought their current styling would look outdated very quickly. What really tipped the scales for me with the Frigidaire Professional line was the really wonderful silver/white treatment of the glass openings- no "black holes" look with their pro tint finish. It will really look great with my white cabinets.
    If we pen in a french accent mark over the "e" and it can be a quick way to prepare the very difficult-to-master french classic "chicken nugee".
    ;)

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

Regarding the Samsung. I have owned it for 2 months but am returning it to buy a 36 inch gas range. (have a great relationship w/ the appliance store) The burner placement has actually not been a problem for me. I've had all 4 going at once - large skillet, pasta pot, and two smaller sauce pans. The induction means that as long as there is a "connection" it's OK.

And no chicken nugget button. I only paid $950. for it which is really a great price for the unit.

• Dea_NY
    13 years ago

Delurking just to post on the Chicken Nugget button! I am seriously considering this range too. For me, the nugget button is not a deal breaker, though I totally get the negative reaction to it. I find that I am very swayed by global aesthetics, but a tiny button in a line of buttons?...meh...it just doesn't happen to bug me (for which I am grateful, because I already have so many pet peeves, it's nice to take a pass on this one). I find it kind of funny...you can perfectly imagine the focus group that led to that button.

I am having trouble finding an induction stove that I like the looks of. This is the best so far on that score (and the 6K Viking model--just cannot go there). Like you, I am having trouble loving the Electrolux slide in induction--even though I've read such good things about it. It just seems too modern for my space. This one has a more classic/retro vibe. And like your DH, the curved shapes on the oven door of the DH profile is deal breaker for me because our cabinets are going to be so linear (shaker style).

As for the hybrid issue. That's a negative for me as well. Would prefer all four burners to be induction for all the reasons mentioned above and then some. On the other hand, it's just two of us here (and no kids) and even though we cook all of the time, I cannot remember the last time that we used more than two burners. So, I think I can deal with that as well given the price of this unit.

The other one that I am considering is the new Kenmore Elite Freestanding (not slide in) induction range that is on the Sears website. I am normally far prefer the look of slide in, but this one is a maybe--it has a classic squared-off look that I like (though definitely has the "black hole problem" bigtime, and prob. wouldn't be wonderful with your white cabs.) I am going to try to look at it today.

Well..thanks for letting me get all of that off of my chest : ). Good luck with your decision!

• blondie859111
    13 years ago

Dea,
    Let us know how you fare today. I seriously looked at the Kenmore Pro line after seeing it on a season of a cooking show- although I have to discose I am not a Sears fan- but there was so much plastic! When the salesperson was showing me the cooktop the knob fell to the floor with a plastic "plink" sound. Although the double ovens looked impressive, I had the same issue with the plastic knobs there as well.I actually thought the line you are looking at is made much better than the Pro line.
    But the Kenmore stuff does rate well with Consumer reports, if those things matter to you.
    I love your comments about the focus group. I enviosion an 11:30 meeting of Frigidaire ad men in suits looking at their watches waiting for their McDonals lunches of...you guessed it- Chicken Nuggets!
    Off topic- but I am heading up top the homeless shelter nearby to meet with the women there- who are actually serving a breakfast for a group of us who helped them financially- and I am sure that will put the chicken nugget button into perspective for me!

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

LOL @ boxer

10K, why are you returning the Samsung induction for a gas range? I think you're the first person I've encountered who didn't really like induction.

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

aliris 19, do you have a link to the WWDTM Taco Bell story you mentioned? I found several NPR stories but none from WWDTM... I'm interested to hear it though!
    Thanks,
    Stacey

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

warmfridge -

You asked why I am returning my Samsung induction? Actually I really enjoy the way it cooks - induction is SO COOL! And it is that "cool" factor - literally - why I originally purchased it. My fire was caused by a singed oven mitt. I didn't notice it was burned and placed back in the drawer with the other dish towels & hot pads. Luckily, DH came home for lunch, or the whole house would have gone up in flames. I was so fearful of flames after the fire that I immediately bought the induction since it couldn't cause a fire. But alas, then I got TKO'd and decided to go with a 36 inch gas range. I did however, purchase silicone oven mitts!

• pcweary
    13 years ago

Well, for what it's worth, I have a Frigidaire Pro Series electric range with the "chicken nuggets" button on the display and I do not even notice it. For me, glasses would be needed to see it and if any friends come by and notice it, they would have to get real close to see it.
    Fortunately, none of my friends are snoops.
    Regarding the pizza feature...I have the touch display.
    Hit the pizza button once for frozen or twice for fresh.
    It works great!
    Never cook chicken nuggets so I do not know how that feature works but if it had a souffle button, I wouldn't be using that either.
    This range had the look, price and hefty feel that I wanted so it has been a win-win for me. Good luck to you.

• Dea_NY
    13 years ago

I am just back from Sears and a local appliance store where I checked out the Chicken Nugget Range, the Kenmore Elite Induction Slide in (the freestanding was not on display, but I saw the radiant heat version, which looked good, but not good enough to make me go that route).

I thought the Chicken Nugget Range looked great. Better than I thought it would even. For the price and the fact that you have some induction element, it looks really sharp. However, (heads up Blondie!) the front panel is plastic just like the Kenmore. Because it was stainless colored plastic, it wasn't obvious--I had to tap it to tell, unlike the Kenmore where it's obviously plastic.

As for the chicken nugget button: they replaced it with a souffle button. Just kidding. It was present, but truly tiny and in a row of other labels. It just doesn't seem like a big deal. But that's me.

Unfortunately, I happened upon a different problem: The racks were really clangy (spell check tells me that is not a word: they clang). I thought that one had sort of popped out of its track, but no, that just seems to be how it is. I confirmed this at a second store. Same clanging of the racks. And I mean just open opening the doors...I didn't even slide them to get that sound. The Kenmore Elite racks felt much more solid and smooth. The Electrolux racks were like butter.

So, I am pretty confused after all that. I didn't need a new variable--rack clanging--to think about. I think the rack clanging is going to push me in the Kenmore Elite or the Electrolux direction.

• blondie859111
    13 years ago

And herein lies the tales of our rack-clacking, nugget button, mitt burning ranges!
    Not sure about the rack noise dea- I don't notice any, but one would have to be sure the rack was connected properly to the oven door, as the lower rack extends out when the door is opened.

• marie_sf
    13 years ago

Ironcook, I am with you 1000%!!
    I was looking at ranges online just yesterday and noticed that "chicken nuggets" button ... and on a range that is supposed to look "professional" ?!

Dreadful. It would definitely be a dealbreaker for me :)

• louisianapurchase
    13 years ago

To play the devil's advocate: The chicken nugget button maybe of use to someone who has an autistic child or other dietary disorder. Although chicken nuggets are not in my precious boy's dietary repertoire, I could definately see where that may be of use to someone (if it actually works). I could definately use that pizza button; however, that is not an option on my dinosaur range!

At one point in my life, I would have found that appalling as well but things change. Gotta roll with the punches! My oldest DS is healthiest eater I have ever seen and has been like this since birth so I never though I would have one who only eats a very few items which is mostly cr*p.

As far as the hybrid issue, the safety issue is a little scary. And a note about the Frigidaire, I have a DW that is only a couple of years old and has already bit the dust. Hope this helps!

Shannon

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

"Can't you just imagine a bunch of sage men sitting around a boardroom solemnly OKing the newest product line in professional cooking ... with a chicken nugget button? "

This reminded me of a scene from the movie, "Pirates of Silicon Valley" (story of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates) when the scientists from the Xerox Palo Alto Research Center went to the Xerox board and the chairman's reply was, "Xerox will never be associated with something called a 'mouse'." Instead, they let Steve visit and steal it themselves for the MacIntosh.

Who knows? Maybe all ovens will have this after a while. My microwave has one for popcorn...

• ironcook
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wow, this thread keeps on going! i've been reading along, too. :)

i hear you on the frigidaire dishwasher, shannon. have had two, in two different houses. same story. i'm only hopeful because frigidaire and electrolux ranges are the same company, not that electrolux has been flawless for everyone. :(

have to say, though, i'm still thinking of getting this range. blondie has encouraged me to think it's okay, since she is an experienced baker, and i only hope of becoming one... someday.

i do laugh about the range a little more thanks to all of you. :)

• blondie859111
    13 years ago

I am happy to say the dishwasher was free, or I would have gone with Bosch- which I have currently and love.
    I have to agree with ironcook- not when I visit the new house and see the range- I think of all of you and our combined comments and laugh. Also- it's a geat reminder not to take myself too seriously!
    I stopped by Tim Hortons the other day for a quick bite to eat while on the road and ordered their sinful mac and cheese. I thought to myself- who's the chicken nugget button snob now, miss fast-food-mac-and-cheese-and lovin'-it?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

I've just been reading through the manual for this range and I noticed a couple of things that may be of interest to those considering this range, although neither really affects me: it uses power sharing for the two induction burners, and for those who use Sabbath mode, the induction is locked out when that's turned on.

• blondie859111
    12 years ago

I have to follow up on this post becasue I wanted to tell you how much I enjoy the Frigidaire Professional range. I made two swiss chard and leek tarts and they came out so perfectly browned and tender they looked like they could have been in a magazine! Beautiful. The range will also allow me to put a pot of cold water on the front right element and brings it to a full boil in just over 4 minutes. Amazing!
    I am so loving this range that they could put a "Bozo the Clown" button on it and it would not bother me. Also love the FP bottom freezer fridge, and the built in mictowave. Haven't tried the dishwasher yet because it's not hooked up yet. My kitchen is still under construction but here's what the appliances look like:

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Stacy - I only just looked back at this. Here's the link:

http://www.npr.org/2011/01/29/133311016/Whos-Carl-This-Time

It's at about 7 min in the "Who's Carl This Time" section.

Ironcook -- what'd ya do?

• John
    12 years ago

Blondie859111 - From the pictures of your new fabulous kitchen, I see that you have the Frigidaire Professional wall oven. We're seriously considering the Professional double ovens (3085). My wife is a baker as well. How does your wall oven perform? Do cakes bake evenly? Does the convection system work well? Have you used the self cleaning feature yet? How well does that work? We had been considering the KitchenAid KEBS208 but I'm just not sure that compared to the Frigidaire Professionals, if the KitchenAids are worth the extra $1500.

Any additional insight regarding your ovens would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all who post their thoughts on these boards. They are quite informative.