Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Using the bathroom sink tips

Posted by sparklep (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 21, 13 at 21:00

Does anyone have tips for surviving your remodel when all you have is the bathroom sink and tub?

I have arthritis in my knees and am finding the tub difficult and the sink faucet a pain since it's so low. I make a smoothie for breakfast every day, but am finding it cumbersome to get my blender rinsed out.

I'm also worried about food causing a block. I do have a strainer to put over the drain, but am still worried.

Thanks!! One week down and 5 or 6 more to go!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Using the bathroom sink tips

Lots of paper plates, disposable utensils, and paper cups!

Seriously, we had the same issue....and I also have arthritis in my knees - although it wasn't that bad back in 2008. However, I had my DH, DS, and DD do the dishes - do you have anyone else in the house who can do the dishes for you?

If you live in a warm climate, you might consider setting up an outside sink - even if it's just a hose and a bin of some sort on a table...

o

Someone here posted that they installed a faucet with a higher arc in the bathroom to help with cleaning dishes during a renovation. This is what we are going to do. It doesn't help with large pots/pans (that won't fit in the sink), but will help with tall things like the blender.

I bought a cheap faucet at walmart that we will use.

o

Bar faucets are great in bathrooms--even after a remodel. I like a swivel spout! Also laundry faucets.

You'll have to use a dish pan to maintain your sanity. Possibly a few. And a dipper to pour water where you need it. Meanwhile, how about a stick/immersion blender?

There are potting stations with sinks that attach to your outdoor hose if weather permits. You could even buy the famous (among wimpy outdoorsmen) Coleman Hot Water on Demand which heats water fast with propane.

o

Unfortunately no one else to do the dishes, unless I train the cats! Ha!

I'll take a look at faucets this weekend, and see if that might work out. I'm in a 2nd story condo so doing anything outside isn't an option.

I'll also have to see if I can find my stick blender in my boxes. That might make life easier!

Thanks everyone!!

o

I highly recommend a pair of plastic dishpans that you set on a table. Fill a pitcher/bucket with hot water from the bathroom and pour it into the bins. Use one bin for wash water and one for rinsing. You'll find that bins on the table are about the same height as a sink, and are quite comfortable to work at. Dump the bins into the bucket when you are done, and then you can dump the bucket into the toilet if you don't want to risk clogging your sink drain.

Best wishes on your reno! : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here