Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloe_s_mom

My sink, faucet and butcher block are in!

chloe_s_mom
15 years ago

I'm glad to say that the island of my tiny kitchen has been somewhat sorted out - I still need to find, then install, a backsplash on the island, deal with the gap between the butcher block and the wall (instructions required a quarter inch gap), pick up some salad bowl oil for the counter (I'm worried about the sink area - using mineral oil right now), and then have DH figure out a way to reinstall one of the doors under the sink (we ended up hacking ruthlessly into an adjoining cabinet for the sink - perhaps with too must gusto. Oh well).

I have been all over town, looking at granite for the perimeter countertop. I really like the movement found in Juperanas. All in good time, I guess!

Here's my kitchen, in progress. New Kohler Smartdivide sink (love it!), Delta Pilar faucet (uses touch), and IKEA oak butcher block!

Comments (12)

• krissd
    15 years ago

Gorgeous! Love your lights.

• jenanla
    15 years ago

Your kitchen looks beautiful.

Have you considered using Waterlox on your counter? I also installed Ikea Oak Butcher Block. I love how it looks. We are not in the house yet, so I haven't lived with it yet. I used 4 coats of the Waterlox on both sides of the counter and all exposed edges (farm sink).

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

That's looking tremendous! Great job! I love the oak butcherblock!

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Really nice look you have going,
    lights are really cool too. Congrats!
    vic

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

i'm loving it! great lights... tell us where they're from please!

• redroze
    15 years ago

Oh my...your cabinets and that butcher block are droolworthy. I don't think I've ever seen butcher block that looks that good,like it's freshly oiled or something? Those lights are fantastic.

• chloe_s_mom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks!

Jenanla - I thought that Waterlox wasn't considered a good idea if chopping on the counter? Maybe, though, I could apply it around the sink/faucet alone (if it can go over previously oiled surfaces....)

Kateskouros - the pendants are from Home Depot! I really, really like them - shiny, but practical as the glass cylinder can be cleaned somewhat easily. I think that their are made by Bazz (?) And since they are transparent, they don't block views and don't feel heavy.

Redroze - it is rather freshly oiled, as IKEA suggests a rather heavy maintenance schedule for the first two months. Now, after seeing how happy wood can be, I feel that I ought to appologize to my other rather neglected cutting boards.

What I especially love about mineral oil is that it isn't combustible. I don't care what anyway says, chopping on a surface where the rags used to apply the product cannot be put into the dryer and are spontaneously combustible, seems rather unappetizing to me.

I did find that the oil raised the grain, so I knocked it down with a super fine sanding block, and it is silky again. The first night that we had it, I put a hot pizza (on carboard) on it and found that it raised the grain oddly. but I oiled it, sanded it, seems fine.

I think that it will take some getting used to, chopping/cutting on the counter. I've been so used to NOT doing that, all these years :)

• palimpsest
    15 years ago

How about back-painted glass behind the range. Use starfire or other ultraclear glass to reduce the green cast.

• chloe_s_mom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Palimpsest et al - Thoughts on the backsplash behind the butcher block? I was thinking something simple, like white. BUt it could be that I'm just panicking from the amount of decisions required :)

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

It looks great! I used a similar palette in my kitchen. I like glass tile for the backsplash, probably influenced by the fact that I used that in my own kitchen, LOL.

Those pendants are perfect!

• mom2reese
    15 years ago

Oh, I really like the stripes in your dining nook, too!

• jenanla
    15 years ago

I don't know if Waterlox can be used over oil, but the folks at Waterlox are very helpful. I don't plan on chopping on my counter so I went with the Waterlox as opposed to oil.