Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Copper sink - pros and cons?

Posted by thedork (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 2, 13 at 20:51

I love the way it looks with off-white glazed cabinets but maintenance? Please share your thoughts. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Copper sink - pros and cons?

I have two copper sinks and love them. They are one of my favorite things about my new kitchen. If you understand they have a "living finish" the maintenance is very easy. I wash them down with a soapy cloth and that is it. No scrubbing pot marks, no chipping.
If you want the copper color to look the same and be consistent throughout you will go crazy. Occasionally I will get a bright copper spot in the sink from where something acidic was left in it. It will darken back naturally in about a week or two to match the rest of the sink. (There is a sulphur solution that can be used to speed up the patina if needed or desired.)

There is a GW thread from the past that has a list of who makes a good copper sink owner and who does not. If I find it I'll pass it on to you.
Good luck with your decision.

o

Agree with everything camphappy said. I've got two Rachiele copper sinks in my kitchen and love them. They are pretty darn bulletproof and really easy to clean. I love the living finish. It's kind of fun watching it change.

The complaints that I've heard about copper sinks have been from people who purchased one with a sealed finish or are trying to keep the sink finish uniform. If you can't embrace coppers living finish, then a copper sink isn't for you. If you can, I can't imagine a better sink.

o

I am considering copper sinks but heard that one needs to wipe them dry after each use and not let water sit in them. Have you found this to be the case? I love the look but am concerned about the upkeep (we have well water also).

o

Nerd, I'd never use a sink that had to be dried out after each use. I'd always wanted a copper sink but was put off hearing the same thing. I ended up putting two copper sinks in my current kitchen after learning that it was the sealed finish on copper sinks that I wanted to avoid.

If you have a copper sink that has a raw copper interior, you won't need to dry it out. But the finish won't remain uniform. Over time it will turn the same color as an old copper penny. Acidic foods will strip the patina back to raw copper which will change back to the darker patina over time. I've also found the my sink reacts with some metal pans left to soak overnight. One of the things I love about my sinks is watching them change. Maintenance is easy, I just use a sponge and soapy water to wash them. If you can embrace copper's living finish, you'll love having a copper sink.

The apron of my 36" copper farm sink has a sealed finish that won't change.

photo DSC07586.jpg

This is the interior of the sink after I used ketchup to write a birthday message to my daughter. The message started to fade within a few days. You can see how the finish looks in the rest of the sink with lighter spots here and there.
 photo Happybirthdaysink-2.jpg

I ended up buying my copper sinks after reading about them on this forum. Both my sinks are made by Rachiele, a small company in Florida. You can find lots of information on their site.

I hope that helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rachiele copper sinks

o

Poohpup, how long did it take for the birthday message to disappear? I have to say, your kitchen is absolutely stunning. Do you mind if i steal the birthday photo for my site? (Dino)

o

Poohpup, I am in love with your Rachiele copper sinks. I still have my kd looking at Kohler enameled cast iron. I am not sure price wise and not sure if I could deal with the bright spots. My DD has a copper sink in her kitchen and I love it! I figure the Rachiele would double or triple my sink expenditure.

o

@holly-kay - We were wanting a copper farmhouse sink for our upcoming kitchen remodel, but thought that the price would be too extreme. We actually found a nice hammered one on the Home Depot website for only $699. The reviews on it are very good. The online photos show it mounted over the counter, but you can install it as an under mount, which we plan to do.

We ended up ordering that same sink from Menards, as they had it on sale recently for $559 plus free shipping. We received it last week. It will look awesome once we have our new cabinets and crema bordeaux granite installed!

Here is a link that might be useful: ECOSINKS copper farmhouse sink - single bowl

This post was edited by gpraceman on Wed, May 1, 13 at 14:24

o

Poohpup sent a follow up photo after 5 days. This is what her sink looked like. I thought this would be helpful to see.

o

I know this is an older thread, but just regarding gpraceman's post above about getting a copper sink for a low price. You have to be wary about those. Those lower-priced copper sinks are usually lacquered, which leads to trouble, and also not good-quality or pure copper, which leads to trouble. For a copper sink, you get what you pay for. Copper is expensive and expect to pay $1700 minimum for a copper sink. If you cannot afford that, there are many other types of excellent sink materials that would be a great choice and affordable, but don't buy instead an "affordable" copper sink. I am linking a thread that shows the consequences of an inexpensive copper sink.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Copper Sink

o

The Ecosink referenced is essentially the Lucca made by Thompson Traders. I spoke with the manufacturer, and these are 14 gauge copper, and are not lacquered. The reviews on the Home depot site are outstanding.

o

Best to buy a copper sink with no sealant on it and let it patina naturally. You can't stop the patina process, and why would you want too? It looks amazing, and any sealants will stop the natural anti bacterial benefits and great colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: World CopperSmith

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here