Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kitchen Layout- Where to start

Posted by cmc274 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 20:47

So we've purchased a house that is in need of a new kitchen. The existing kitchen, which does not have a DW, is a single wall layout along the 10'8" wall, however the rest of the space is completely unused except for the refrigerator. Based on our budget, I do not think modifying / relocating the hall closet is an option. The rear door thats unlabeled goes to a full bath (the only bath on 1st floor).

We'd like a 36" range and 30" sink, some type of eat-at bar for a few stools and would prefer not to have the range in an island. I think its wide enough to cabinets on both walls with a center island, however we cannot for the life of use figure what to do at the big bump out. We are also looking for a relatively clean look, like the link below

We intend to work with an ID/ KD firm, however we're trying to hash out some basic concepts / layouts.

Any thoughts, opinion would be very much welcome.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Kitchen

This post was edited by cmc274 on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 20:53

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kitchen Layout- Where to start

Is swapping the two spaces an option? If you use the current kitchen as your dining area, you could have an L-shape in cabinets with the refrigerator just next to the closet. Maybe some sort of peninsula around the column?

o

Not really an option due to window size and location. I was too lazy to draw in the dining room windows, but they would all be below counter height.

o

This is what I came up with before I saw your message :). Much better options with the walls without doors! That hall door so close to the wall really limits your options IMO.

There are many who are expert whereas I am not. Maybe they have ideas!

From Screen Captures

o

I couldn't make a 36" range go on a wall, but maybe the others will have ideas!

From Screen Captures

o

I like the peninsula location and size. Even with a 30" range, I think its hard locate on a wall and provide ample prep space in reasonable proximity. The reason we wanted to keep the stove on the wall was to minimize the visual impact of the hood. I've had a downdraft exhaust before and it was pretty useless. Hope folks keep the ideas coming.

o

I guess you could put he sink in the peninsula. I just like mine under a window. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here