Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what style/finish kitchen should this house have?

Posted by southernmum (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 26, 13 at 20:46

I've found the other thread on here today about a white kitchen in a craftsman style house very interesting! I love the way so many of you know all the architectural styles and terminology. (I'd love to know more about all that!) Anyway, for months now I've been trying to figure out the real style of my house we're building. I think it's actually a combo of several styles. Would love to know what kind of kitchen you guys see for my house! *(Long story but I'm now with a new cabinet company starting kitchen design all over, so the sky is the limit!) Do you see it white or wood-toned? or a mix? Excuse my little watercolor photo -- this is what I do for fun, to get good color combo ideas for the exterior! Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what style/finish kitchen should this house have?

Don't know what your plans are for the inside, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't have white or wood. Traditional or transitional in style.

o

Thanks, island! This is the first build/remodel that I'm actually aware of the term "transitional style", lol! I'm such a traditional girl, but I'm actually liking some of the new kitchens I've been seeing. Every time I watch "Love it or List it" I notice how Hilary really does a lot of transitional kitchens!

o

Anyone else? Would love input!
Thanks

o

House looks basically Georgian Colonial and Cape Cod, with some Victorian touches.

You have many kitchen style options: traditional, transitional, even contemporary if you are so inclined. When I watch HGTV home shows, I'm seeing a LOT of transitional and contemporary kitchens because that's where most people are; few are at the traditional and fully modern ends. (My wife and I have traditional at one home and full Danish modern at our main home.)

o

Thanks, Davidahn! Hmmm, I need to check out Danish modern.
Not familiar with that... See, part of my problem is that I WISH
I was building a Cape Cod/ Coastal home, but I live on a
Mtn in Tennessee! ;) I welcome thoughts on kitchen style for this exterior from to all -- I love all the expertise here!!

o

*Renovator8, if you see this post, I'd LOVE your input! :) I just want to get my kitchen right and make sure it matches the look and architectural style of the house. All suggestions welcome!

o

I can't help but take my cue from your lovely rendering of your home. I see your kitchen having warm wood tones a green backsplash, and perhaps a soapstone counter. But that doesn't mean you can't also incorporate white. The image below is from ayerg73's kitchen - link to finished kitchen thread is below (just ignore the blue paint on the walls). In this kitchen the perimeter cabs are white with a wood island. You could do something similar, or have wood cabinets on the perimeter with a white island.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ayerg73

o

Southernmum, my wife's family lived in Chattanooga for years... it's beautiful out there! You do your thing, Cape Cod style if that's what you like. :)

Here are a couple of good looks for your kitchen:

o

Thanks so much! Great photos you guys provided!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here