Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwrunner_gw

Almost done ... except cabinet glass, handles, and range back

NWRunner
11 years ago

THANK YOU EVERYONE for your direct feedback as well as all the info from reading the forum.

I had hoped to wait for the final staged pics ⦠but I would appreciate a little more help! Suggestions for
1) the cabinet glass (thinking opaque and cheap ⦠unless I put in radiator tin??)
2) the 51 handles! (thinking simple, no ends to catch and again cheap maybe from Home Depot!)
3) backsplash for range (thinking metal tile or could put plain stainless.)

We came in under $30K including appliances but not floor repair/refinishing. We acted as our own general and did pullout, painting, electric, drywall and plumbing (except gas) ourselves. Pull out was Jan 18th and countertops were installed Feb. 18th - winter made for quick turnarounds. People donâÂÂt seem to include prices on this site but that was what I was I was always looking for so ⦠prices include tax.
- Cabinets ��" Schock from Oregon color coconut $13.3K
- Install $2K
- Countertops ��" Granite African Rainbow 102 square feet @ $71/sq ft $8.1K
- Sink Blanco Silgranit Metallic Grey $.6K (yes, overpaid)
- GE Café Range, generic strong hood, GE low end fridge, Blomberg dishwasher (Bosche knock-off), microwave from Costco $5.3K
- under counter Designer Series LED Light panels $.2K
- misc other like wrong designer, right designer, gas man, electric parts, drywall, etc.

Regrets
+ Too overwhelmed to pick a backsplash so granite default. Wish I had gone with long cream subway tile.
+ Hired an artist friend that needed work for colors and she picked the wrong green. Hired a real designer who quickly switched us to Devine paintâÂÂs Green Tea.

Learnings
+ Can sell used appliances and cabinets quickly on Craigslist. Had a bidding war for our peeling plastic wrap cabinets.
+ CHECK your vendorsâ math. Thanks to a post on this board, I requested details on found they had over-estimated our counter footage by 22%

Comments (16)

• NWRunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

buffet area

• NWRunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

close up on glass area

• NWRunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Old kitchen with the demolition team

• Kathy Rivera
    11 years ago

Proof that sometimes a peninsula is better than an island!!!

Any chance you can get a remnant of that beautiful granite for behind the range? Then your 4" 'too tired to decide' becomes an intentional (and beautiful) continuation!

• NWRunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just for fun ... the wrong green :)

• NWRunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Re behind the range adding granite - I don't think I can put anything sticking out since there is a vent there. Will ask the granite owner tomorrow when he is here to decide what to do about the chip!

• Molly Phillips
    11 years ago

Oh, my. That artist-friend green is....interesting. I love the new color, though!

Nice work! Lovely kitchen, and thanks for posting prices. I think that's very helpful.

• dccurlygirl
    11 years ago

NWRunner, what are the dimensions of your kitchen (let's say, to the outside of the fridge)? Nice job, btw!

• NWRunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

back 157" across, back thru fridge panel 103"
    It is a big kitchen. I would have rather had more room allocated to the mud/laundry room, but I recognize I am lucky to have it.

Guess I am going with frosted glue chip glass - wish there was something more opaque that did not remind me of a shower door!

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

NWrunner - I love your granite. I think your 4in backsplash looks great with your paint. I would second the earlier suggestion from KathyNY to just use the same granite behind the cooktop till the hood and save yourself some money.

• deedles
    11 years ago

I also like the idea to use the granite behind the stove. Your kitchen looks clean and streamlined and the green is beautiful with the rest.
    Are you looking to use handles or knobs or both?

I think Ebay might be a good place to find some deals on hardware.

• NWRunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

As I look at existing kitchens, I am thinking knobs above and pulls below with maybe one extra-wide pull for towels on a drawer beside the fridge. Do you have any suggestion? Send me a pic and I will likely do whatever you suggest!

We got a regular depth fridge and paid extra for deep panels to wrap it. Cabinet sales rep recommended against this approach (just get a second fridge for the garage is a solution?!) but we like it. Hides the left corner of the kitchen where we leave out the appliances!

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

I love your granite. It all looks great!

• NWRunner
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks. We are very fortunate the vendor led us to this choice - I can't take credit. I am enjoying standing int here looking at it! Guess I will need to start actually cooking though ...

Quote for matching granite behind range was not priced as a remnant - $430+ tax for 30x29! We are going to just put a stainless panel there - no more funding is available.

• Kathy Rivera
    11 years ago

Bummer on the cost! But stainless will look great, too, with your granite. And be budget and cleaning friendly.

• deedles
    11 years ago

Stainless will absolutely look great. Make sure to post a pic!