Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mbf16

Backsplash help

MBF16
13 years ago

Hi! I am trying to figure out a backsplash. I will try and post pics of my kitchen. We have Black Galaxy counters, white white cabinets which I hate, but they were here and there is no changing them now :) Stainless appliances, shaker beige paint. Restoration Hardware type chunky pendants over island.

Anyways- I like the kitchen enough, but I feel like it is so cold. There is probably no backsplash to magically warm it up, but here are my thoughts so far:

I don't like busy at all- so while I LOVE the beautiful glass mosaics on the samples, I think it would bother me as a backsplash. Also the Black galaxy sparkles enough on it's own.

OK- so white ceramic subway: Boring, but a good neutral. Remind my husband of a "high school bathroom" and they do seem so basic to me, but then when I see pics online on this site, the kitchens look so good!

Glass white subway- we both like enough, but again, so "Cold" and have that grayish/greenish look- and so modern.

Husband likes ultra-modern, I like transitional. They may add some interest, and that is probably the frontrunner...

Marble Subway Tile- i thought about Carrara (but no brown tones, so might not work with the copper flecks in BG), Calacutta Gold- liked, but concerned it may be too busy

Crema Marfil - may be too beige with stark white cabinets...

So basically all I think i know is I want larger tiles (like subway) as the smaller ones make me dizzy :) and a neutral of white/cream look.

THANKS!!

Comments (8)

• nugardnrinnc
    13 years ago

You know if you really don't like the cabinets then take the doors off and paint em. Then decide on a backsplash!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Do you have a favorite color other than the shaker beige?
    Can you post some images of your kitchen?
    There are many on GW who would be happy to give some ideas
    of how to warm the space up and still create a peaceful
    space without too much movement that creates that dizzy
    feeling.

Here are a few ideas of backsplashes. I have plenty more but
    I am not sure what your space looks like. You might
    want to visit the FKB to see what others did to compliment
    their black galaxy granite. Have you take the sweeby test?
    Is there a specific style that you like? Clean lines,
    Contemporary? Transitional? Scandinavian? Urban? Country?

hth
    ~boxer

Walker Zanger Marble mix with blk granite

Marble, Travertine and Blk granite Walker Zanger

Subway

Trikeenan tile

Basktweave

White tile

Glass mosiac tiles ( I know this can be busy but small and simple can be soothing)

French Country Sunflower backsplash

• calimama
    13 years ago

wow! tough without pictures, but IMHO the more reflective the surface, the colder it looks. The pictures that Boxerpups posted I think support that theory - the honed stone and matte finish tiles seem warmer. But that's just me. I remember when I was looking for backsplashes, there were these white pillowy, matte finish subway tiles that just screamed "touch me", and everyone that walked past HAD to touch them. Maybe something like that?

• mbw1
    13 years ago

We are in the home stretch with our total DIY kitchen reno...not ready to post photos yet as I want to take them during the day.......

I wanted white subway,,,hubby was dead set against them, and really it's his house too and he went along with all of my other choices, so we compromised kept looking and I ended up loving our tiles........

Here is a sneak peek

{{!gwi}}

• momtofour
    13 years ago

Crafterbeth, What are your backsplash tiles?

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Crafterbeth,
    You made a lovely concession with that tile.
    IMHO I think it looks far prettier than any glossy
    subway tiles. You won't regret the beauty.
    Give your DH a big hug.
    ~boxer

• mbw1
    13 years ago

Thanks Boxer....he was right....I love some of the kitchen's I see with the bright white subway but it just didn't suit our house.

I really love the way it warms up our kitchen and really ties together the cabinets, counter and Wilmington Tan paint. And I was very happy to find this color with no pink undertones.

I will be taking photos on the weekend and posting the finished kitchen! so excited!

Momtofour..........i'm embarrased to admit that I don't know exactly.......we looked for 2 months for something we both liked, found it in another city (she said they were new samples, don't know if that means new to thier supplier or new on the market)

All I know is Capri Giallo.......

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

Looove your backsplash, Crafterbeth!

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone