Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kincaidem

help with new cookware

hatethecold_gw
12 years ago

I am posting this on this forum since it is much more active than the cookware one.

I think i am ready to move up to a little nicer cookware that we have had for the past 15 years. Seems my new kitchen deserves it :) However, i am not ready to move up to Le creuset. My cooking skills and budget do not allow for that. Is there a good medium tier brand out there?

TIA- hate the cold

Comments (11)

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

I have quite a few Calphalon Tri-ply pieces, and really like them. I prefer them over All Clad, as I find the All Clad handles are very uncomfortable. I bought mine several years ago and they have stainless lids. I am not a fan of glass lids.

I have a Tramontina Multiclad stockpot, and am amazed at how nice it is -- I would certainly consider a set if it is as good as the stockpot.

I also have a large round Le Creuset soup pot which I love, but my DH does not, as it doesn't go in the DW.

• Specific ibex
    12 years ago

Check out the Cook's Illustrated equipment reviews. May be behind a paywall, but if so it's worth an online subscription ($19/year maybe?). I've taken their advice on chef's knife, skillet, roasting pan, saucepans and dutch ovens and saved a lot of money because they test and recommend without advertising influence. For instance, the chef's knife they recommend over a number of pricey options is about $25. You can find reviews for almost any pan type, and they also do a comparison for cookware sets vs their own a la carte recommendations. If there's a particular pan type you're interested in seeing their recommendation on, let me know and I'll look it up for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cook's Illustrated

• willtv
    12 years ago

The Cooks Illustrated recommendation is a good one.
    Also check into DeBuyer cookware.
    They have some good reviews on the cookware forum although, they have to be seasoned like cast iron.

• a2gemini
    12 years ago

hatethecold - I love the cold and snow!
    Seriously - I would look into cookware that can be used on any cook surface for the future.
    I plucked some nice CIA (culinary institute of america) vessels during a fall sale.
    I have an eclectic collection - most were "give our cookware a try" specials.
    If you keep your eyes peeled, you can snag some nice items at a significant discount as long as you don't care that they don't all match.
    I am going induction with our remodel - so the calphalon starter pans are going to the basement for now - in hopes of a vacation home or maybe I will sell on eBay/CL downstream - although my sister-in-law gets dibs on the All-Clad double griddle which doesn't work on induction despite its name.
    So my new kitchen will have
    All Clad specials
    -1 qt
    -1.5 qt
    -8 qt(one of my favorites)
    -egg poacher
    -Large saute pan (William Sonoma special)
    1 calpholon special
    1 Staub special
    1 Demyere ~4 qt (new and on sale at La Sur de table)
    CIA
    -non-stick fry pan
    -6 qt

So, nothing matches and I love it! Function over fashion!!

My last catch - I am looking for a griddle that works on induction - not sure I will find this one on "fire" sale.

Good luck

• ellabee_2016
    12 years ago

I'd strongly recommend against getting a set of anything. Different pans are used for different cooking processes, and some materials are better than others for each of those; there's no one type that's ideal for everything. Also, sets are likely to contain one or more sizes or types of pans that will turn out not to be useful to you.

Think about which pans you use most often, and for what. Which is the one you're most dissatisfied with? Start with shopping for a replacement for that.

It's almost impossible to make a blanket recommendation for someone else, as so much depends on your situation: Do you wash pots by hand, or must they go in a dishwasher? What kind of cooktop is in your new kitchen? How likely is that to change in the near future? How physically strong are you, and others who might use the pans?

To me, function is _way_ more important than fashion in cookware. That means being comfortable with the weight and balance, the feel of the handle(s), how easily you can do the kinds of cooking you want to do in it, and how it handles during cleanup.

There are few if any matching pieces in my line-up, but I love each of them, including how they look. Some are inherited from my mother (1930s cast iron skillet, Le Creuset enameled cast iron gratin), some are ebay scores (copper skillet and saute pan lined w/stainless), and some are the result of shopping-and-trying: Regal American Kitchen tri-ply skillet (wonderful long comfortable handle, U.S. made), Cuisinart Multiclad Pro tri-ply 2 qt saucepan (nice open proportions, pouring lip, comfortable handle).

• alexisls
    12 years ago

I'll heartily second Ellabee's advice against sets and replacing your current cookware one-at-a-time based on what you use most.

You can find some very good prices on discontinued colors and "gently used" Le Creuset on eBay. To me, there's nothing better for a big dutch oven, but that's the only piece I consider "need to have" in that brand.

If you're near a TJMaxx, they often have great cookware at steep discounts. I've been very happy with the Chantal soup and stock pots I found there. I also picked up a large Calphalon saucier that I use all the time.

GreenPan non-stick skillets are great (and kinder to the environment than teflon etc) and you can get them at Target.

And of course Lodge makes excellent and affordable cast iron pans (and you can get them pre-seasoned).

• ellabee_2016
    12 years ago

Following up: Some of my favorite pans cited above are excellent examples of why not to get a set of anything.

The 10" and 12" skillets in Regal's American Kitchen tri-ply line are excellent, every bit as good as All-Clad skillets only with much more functional and comfortable handles, also U.S. made, at half the price or less. However, the saute pan in the line just came in last in the ratings in Cooks' Illustrated new issue.

Similarly, I like the proportions and feel of the 2-quart Cuisinart Multiclad Pro saucepan, but their 3-quart is too tall, and the saute pan is -- like the Regal -- too lightweight and thin to do the jobs you want a saute pan for.

Enameled cast iron conducts heat very slowly, accumulates it well, and holds on to it for a long time -- so it's great for oven braising and long simmers on the stovetop, and crap for skillet tasks like searing, sauteing, or making a whisked sauce, or any cooking where quick downward or upward changes in temperature are needed. An entire cookware set of Le Creuset is a dead weight in a number of ways.

• clinresga
    12 years ago

While I agree that sets are a poor investment, I would strongly argue that you cannot go wrong with a basic set of All Clad. They are not always "#1" on Cooks Ill or whatever, but they are always near the top. They are ubiquitous in restaurant kitchens where they survive abuse like no home kitchen will ever dish out.

Plus...as another poster recently noted, the semi-annual sale is ongoing at Cookware n More. They are the only authorized outlet for factory irregular All Clad, and they are on sale at an additional 20% off. At those prices you're comparable to stuff like Calphalon and Tramontina, but IMHO far superior in quality. I have a number of irregulars and in most I can't even tell why they were graded so--they look and cook flawlessly. You can fill in the gaps with all kinds of cool pots--and I agree, nothing equals a Le Creuset dutch oven for braising--but this is one great place to start a collection.

• Mizinformation
    12 years ago

I agree with everyone who says buy by the piece (for a specific purpose), not a set. Figure out which pieces/sizes you use most often, narrow to 2-3 options for each piece with the "expert" advice like Cooks Illustrated, but make your final decision on how it feels when you handle it + your budget. For example, I love the look and my ego would love to own high-end enameled cast iron, but when it came down to it, according to most reviews (and my experience) Lodge enameled cast iron works just as well as Le Creuset at a third of the price. The handles fit my hands, it hangs on my pot hooks how I like, I get a nice caramelized sear, etc. I have different brands for small saucepot, large sauce, saute, etc., all based on how they feel for the job + value. And the variety of shapes and material looks lovely hanging together! I'll be curious to see what pieces you end up getting!

• mabeldingeldine_gw
    12 years ago

Made soup last night and realized I forgot to mention my small 6 qt Kitchen Aid brand soup pot, which I love. It is stainless multiclad, with a stainless lid, and is perfect for a one-pot stovetop meal. Heats evenly, holds a low simmer well, goes in the DW for my DH. It has a nice shape for reducing or making small batched of jam or preserves.

As others have said, I think piecemeal is the way to go -- check each piece for weight and balance and how it feels in your hand. I finally gave my large All Clad skillet away after dumping a hot panfull of chicken curry when taking it off the stove. The handle was always uncomfortable to me, and this one time when I picked it up, just proved to be too much. I was very lucky no one was burned.

That just proved to me that each piece really has to be comfortable for the primary user, despite what the ratings say. I replaced that pan with the Calphalon Tri Ply in the same size, and have notice no difference in performance, but the handle is vastly more comfortable for me.

Have fun shopping and let us know what you choose!

• hatethecold_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you all for the advice- i will take it and not buy a set- even though that will be so hard for me! At this point in time after our kitchen re-do, i have decision exhaustion, so i was hoping to knock this out in one fell-swoop :) This way i can replace my current stuff a little at a time as i find the right pans. thanks!