Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

TA-DA!!!! Finished soapstone and it's unreal.. way pic heavy

remodelfla
13 years ago

Let me first say that Joshua and his assistant Kurt were so wonderful, professional, took so much pride in their craft, and were really concerned about the satisfaction of the client. It was an amazing day. So....here's way too many pics:

See my flush mounted sink?

From Drop Box

Sink to cooktop:

From Drop Box

Crazy corner... I adore this veining

From Drop Box

Can you find the seam? I can't... Josh is phenomenal

From Drop Box

I even assembled and installed a couple of my QS oak drawers!

From Drop Box

Not great pic of the overhang... it's far more spectacular:

From Drop Box

So I hope it's OK I'm screaming the praises of my own stone. OH... and for those who tease me for sneaking pics of me into my post... as soapstone lover and the tired masters:

From Drop Box

Thanks for putting up with me my friends...xo

Comments (83)

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

Stunningly Gorgeous! Your wild movement in your stone makes me wish I'd had the guts to pick one that's not so quiet. Josh is such a master of the stone! I haven't the faintest idea where the seams are. (Ok, I have an idea, because I saw the install post, but I can't see them at all in the finished pics) Be honest, you laid right ontop of those counters and rolled around a bit, didn't you?

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Wowzer. I think you are now the Queen of GW Soapstone! That is absolutely incredible.

It must have been such an amzing day for you, I am so happy that it is in and you are so thrilled with it.

Isn't it fun to think you traveled all the way to NYC to see your stone and now, here it is in your own kitchen! Yay!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's weird how we share things about our lives and you all know about/remember it. It was such a memorable trip to go up to NY around Christmas, have my grown big boys pick me up and take me to NJ to pick out the slabs, and then drive me into the city to tool around all the Holiday stuff and have a great meal together. Of course I got to crash at my son's place too and the three of us just hung together like when they were little. Perfection...
    And so I'm a sap and this it's not just a counter, it's attached to a great memory.
    TMI coming... be forewarned... turn off your computers... take your children into another room...

laxsupermom.... I didn't quite roll on the counters but DH did say (in front of Josh and Kurt no less)... "Geez... I wish she'd touch me like she strokes those counters"...
    I was embarrassed!!

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

"WOW" doesn't seem to do them justice. your counters are simply phenominal!

I think I would've slept on them last night.
    :)

CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

• corgi_mom
    13 years ago

Add me to the list of GWebbers who are loving your soapstone! It is beautiful. I'm assuming this is unoiled? I'd leave it just the way it is. Fabulous!

• kngwd
    13 years ago

Now I think I'm going to have to start nagging DH about soapstone again!! GORGEOUS!!!! How can he say no to these pictures?????

• cj47
    13 years ago

Those are beyond gorgeous--I want to reach into the picture and run my hands over them. I love that veining--it's absolutely incredible. Beautiful choice, beautiful job!!

Cj

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

wow...oh wow! incredible! it reminds me of water also. so good to see you and the guys! and puppy...who just HAD to be in there looking right at the camera too!

"It's so unbelievable that God creates these stones."

well, yes - and no! lol! just a sliver of His awesomeness! It is a great everyday reminder of it.

breathe deep - and enjoy it!

• macybaby
    13 years ago

Very nice, but then I'm biased since I've got the same stone in my kitchen.

It really is wild, and so very interesting. Does yours have little sparklies all over? that was one thing the sample I have didn't have, but the counter is full of them. I also love the way that it looks textured in the right light, but it's smooth to the touch.

I just love the way the stone looks different from day to day as the oil evaporates.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Drool-worthy. Absolutely gorgeous.

• homey_bird
    13 years ago

Beautiful stone. I'm looking forward to the finished pics of the whole kitchen. Make sure to include some close ups of how wood grain comes alive with the stone.

• senator13
    13 years ago

Very beautiful.

Quick question-is the sink a tile-in apron? Just wondering as I was looking to flush mount ours like yours using a tile-in sink and everybody just looks at me weird.

• petra66_gw
    13 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous stone!!

• adel97
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! Are they oiled already? They look so alive...

• megradek
    13 years ago

simply gorgeous! even the tired crew isn't too bad looking ;) love the cabs too. I can't wait to see it all finished!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

senator... I"m not sure what you mean by a tile-in sink but here's a closeup of mine. DH modified the sides of the cab and then built a support underneath. It's very very sturdy since he's into overkill a bit. BTW... I GOT MY BARSTOOLS IN!!! They fit perfectly and I love how they tie into my dining table.

And I'm so excited about these stools after holding onto them in my garage for almost 2 years ... here's another view

I can't help myself. Everything had been purchased piecemeal off craigslist or ebay for 3 years. I've been passing by things wondering if I'd ever really use them and if they'd work.
    And oh yes... I used Beeswax on the counters

• dmlinparadise
    13 years ago

Absolutly beautiful, can't wait to get our new home going!

• kaysd
    13 years ago

The color and movement of those counters is truly gorgeous! I'm sure you have posted elsewhere, but what is the name of the soapstone you used?

• mikomum
    13 years ago

holy drool batman! You soapstoners are making it very hard for me to settle for something else!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's called Monsoon Wave and distributed my M. Teixeira

Once again, thanks for indulging my joy!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Ohhhh my, it's exquisite!!! Amazingly beautiful with all that wonderful veining! Wish I could run my hands all over it! Love your sink, drawer fronts, and barstools, too. In fact, your sink is making me rethink the super single silgranite sink I had planned. Can't wait to see more pics of your progress.

Also, love the last pic of the 3 of you and your cute little doggie. Such tired but supremely happy faces!

• ironcook
    13 years ago

oh remodelfla! You are a joy... no indulging required!

i will be a spoiled sport and say that i will be kinda sad when your kitchen is finished... these updates have been such fun. :)

that is the most beautiful soapstone i've ever seen!

thank you for sharing... i just love the happy pic of you with josh and kurt... and the little sweetie.

i'm really, really happy for you!

joy on!

• homeagain
    13 years ago

Those are spectacular! Probably the most gorgeous soapstone I've seen.

Enjoy it....you deserve this wonderful kitchen for all the help and advice you give on GW!

• hermajesty
    13 years ago

Oh oh oh, DROOLING here! Now that is one gorgeous stone!
    I am so happy for you.

And you can keep posting pics til the cows come home cuz I luv looking at the beautiful space you are creating.

Luv that sink and your stools too!
    Doing the happy dance for you!

• laxsupermom
    13 years ago

DH says stuff like that in mixed company, and I just give him the look. I love the pic of the barstools up at the bar, I remember when you snagged them. Love the updates!

• sadiebrooklyn
    13 years ago

I am definitely going to try to get my dog into all my kitchen reno photos. priceless!

love your stools!

• shelayne
    13 years ago

OH. MY. WORD.

Absolutely SPECTACULAR!

BIG Congrats!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I'm so happy for you! How long til this is your home?

It really is amazing to have all that movement and detail and not be able to see the seam.

• vdr928
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! I am also installing soapstone! Did me good to see what nice and competent installers you had. :) I have my slab chosen and I am very excited!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can't let you guys get to know the newest baby Mickey without meeting my other two babies Wally and Willy! Both Mickey (Maltese) and Willy (younger Dauschaund) were rescues.

• prill
    13 years ago

Oh they're adorable. Another "friend" of mine just got a Dauschaund pup from rescue. She's a very sweet little dog.

I was talking to someone the other day and I said my "friend" was getting her ss counters today. Then I thought, oh I don't even know E. So funny, we ARE GW friends....

• advertguy2
    13 years ago

Nice looking countertops!

Question about your overhang (hopefully it hasn't been covered above). Just wondering what sort of supports you have for it?

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I used the Freedom brackets from Federal Brace.

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

Wow, you're kitchen is looking just awesome. You have done such a wonderful job of pulling everything together. I love the stools. It's been a long haul for you but it looks as though all of your hard work and planning has paid off. Looking forward to seeing the rest.

• advertguy2
    13 years ago

Thanks!

• arlosmom
    13 years ago

Oh wow, that's amazing. You might feel like you're posting too many pictures, but believe me, you aren't. I want to see more of the cabinets with the soapstone and how the bakers table look with the new stone! Doesn't it feel great when major things start coming together?

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Such cute pooches! And they're so lucky to have you and your family to love and spoil them! (I was just looking at your SS again--can't seem to get enough of it, lol!)

• holligator
    13 years ago

Wow!! It's just so gorgeous, and I'm so happy that you had the pleasure of working with Joshua--that part is almost as good as getting a wonderful counter! :)

Also, if I remember correctly, my kitchen was the first one Kurt helped Joshua with three years ago.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

OK... I don't have running water in my kitchen, no silverware or dishes to speak of down here... but our first meal at our overhang! Really... I'm downright giddy... it's ridiculous.

• momtofour
    13 years ago

Oh. My. Goodness!! Soooooo beautiful!! It takes my breath away...

• rjr220
    13 years ago

Finally! This kitchen has the longest gestation EVER! Your counters are beautiful -- you've been waiting so long! Now, can't wait to see that baking center . . .

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Like being pregnant for 36 months. Ask and ye' shall receive. Sans hardware

From Drop Box

Hot damn I'm diggin' on that frig being unwrapped after all this time. With the blue stripped wrapping that was on it though I did feel like I was paying homage to my Yankees!

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Is that a copper sink? It's beautiful! And what kind of cooktop is that?

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

oooooooohhhhhhh!!!! it's absolutely lovely! stunning! i can't stop looking at it ...i'm going to rip out my marble and start over. dh is not going to like this...

now hurry up and finish so i can see more pics!

• rjr220
    13 years ago

Ohhhh, I can so imagine rolling around on that baking center soapstone . . . . I mean rolling DOUGH around on that baking center. Yeah, that's what I meant to say . . .

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

weed... it's a stainless steel curved front apron sink by Lavello. The cooktop is a 36" Miele induction.

rjr... I admit to partially laying across the bakers table and revelling in it's smoothness.

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

What brand/model sink is that? It's what I've been looking for.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lavello is the company. They were great to deal with. I have the single bowl 36" curved front... it's HUGE

Here is a link that might be useful: Lavello sinks

• ironcook
    13 years ago

remodelfla... i remember the day you posted finding that baker's table!!! i was still lurking then, but i remember thinking how much that was meant just for you!

i just love it in your kitchen with the soapstone. :)

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is what makes this especially meaningful and fun for me to share. So many of you have been through my myriad of posts over these few years with each acquisition, bargain, odd doesn't seem to fit in but I had to have it find. I was hoping to come home to some drawer installations today... but DH wasnt' in the mood... he's allowed. I've done all of them so far so it may end up being my responsibility. I'm so tired after work... it's a waaayyyy longer drive from here. I always stop at the other house to pick something up, check on this, stop at the store. By the time I get in I just want to chill a bit and take a nap. This is why it's taking forever! Plus.... we are out of money for now!!