Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muskokascp_gw

I think I found my stone..and it's not marble.

muskokascp
13 years ago

I had pretty much convinced myself to go with marble - my first love - but today I dropped by the stone yard and the sales lady showed me a picture of a white granite that is on it's way and should arrive in about 3 weeks. If the slabs look as great as they do in the picture, I may just switch over. I haven't seen a white granite even close to this in my area. I'm getting excited - now I just hope I can afford it!!

Does anyone have this stone or seen it in IRL?

It's going by the name of white macaubas

Comments (15)

• missmuffet
    13 years ago

That is lovely. I looked and looked, but never saw anything like that. Lucky!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Oh!! I hope it's not way out of your price range!!

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

If it's white macuabus my guess is that's it's probably a quartzite... which is a good thing! Quartzites are said to be denser then granite and quite gorgeous (albeit pricey). I'm excited to see how this all works out. Good luck!!

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    13 years ago

I too believe it is a quartzite. I looked at that as an alternative to marble. I also believe if it is a quartzite it will cost more than some marbles (like carrara)

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

That is gorgeous...does NOT look like granite. Holy cow. Can't you ask what the price will be? I would be dying with anticipation!

• worldmom
    13 years ago

Nice! bluekitobsessed has the blue (azul) version. It's very unique and sounds like a good option! :o)

• oldhouse1
    13 years ago

muskokascp, that is beautiful, have been looking for something similar myself. Is it safe to assume that you live in Ontario? If so I would love to know who your source is. I have been thinking of marble as well. I don't know how the price compares but I could very easily be tempted by this. Thanks!

• nini804
    13 years ago

Ooooooohh....I want it too!!!! It is so lovely!! I didn't even know there was such a pretty, clean-looking granite like that. Now I am going to be scouring our area for it.

• cindaintx
    13 years ago

Oooooh, this is exactly what I want. In a thick, chunky counter-top with a honed surface. Sigh, something tells me it's going to be $$$$

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

That is definitely a drool-worthy slab! Good luck and keep us posted!

• marcolo
    13 years ago

I hate to say this, but this does not look like macaubus to me. Most often, macaubus looks like luce di luna quartzite, which is much more linear and "modern" in its markings. Be careful--this looks like marble, so make sure it isn't.

• muskokascp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

oldhouse - I am in Halifax but this company buys a lot of their stone from Ciot so you may want to contact them and see if they have any earmarked for Ontario.

I have no doubt it is more $$ than marble - how much more is the question. I didn't think of asking the price - subconscience fear perhaps :)

I googled the stone(name) and it seems to come up as a granite. When it comes in I will def. test it for etching to make sure it is not a marble. Mind you, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a quartzite. I'll keep ya'll posted.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Muskokaspc--any update yet? Pricing? Decision?

• muskokascp
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Not yet - I left shortly after this post for a cruise. I didn't realize how much I needed a break from all the construction and mess until I was away from it. I am still in Florida but will send off an email to see if the stone has arrived. Home on Thursday - back to the mess!

• sochi
    13 years ago

Hope it works out muskokascp! Beautiful stone, granite or quartzite. Please keep us posted once you return home.

oldhouse - Ciot is almost certainly your best bet for quartzite and/or exotic granites in Ontario. I got my Luce di luna (white quartzte/quartzite bianca) from them. They didn't have any good slabs a few months ago (based on what others have told me here, I got mine about a year ago, but they may have new slabs in now).