Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

GD air switch - InSinkErator, Mountain Plumbing or ?

kaysd
11 years ago

I need a polished chrome air switch that works well and does not feel like plastic. I see ISE on a lot of websites. The kitchen showroom salesman recommended Mountain Plumbing, but they did not have one I could see in person. I am probably buying a Westbrass air gap, and they make an air switch too, but it is $105 and it is hard to tell the shape from the picture.

My faucets have a round base plate with a flat top (rather than a sloped top), like this:

Comments (5)

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

Mine are ISE in polished chrome. They don't feel or look cheap to me. They go well with my Elkay Gourmet soap dispensers (the one you ordered) and Hansgrohe Talis S faucets.

After using mine for 5 months, I know I wouldn't pay that much more for a different brand.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Another option is a fiber optic switch from Waste King. The flange comes in various finishes, including chrome. It's pretty much the same as an air switch, but the gasket is sealed, so no water can go down. They are more expensive than ISE. I saw an ISE online for about $64, and these are more like $100. Two caveats: they are meant to plug in, not be hard wired, but my GC was able to convert it. Also, they are designed for a smaller hole - 3/8"- than can be easily drilled in granite. You need to have a 1" hole drilled, then the 1 1/4" switch can be glued to the counter with clear silicone.

Despite the fiasco I had trying to figure out how to install mine, I do love it now.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Hey Ginny - we're back at our kitchen again...hopefully this time we actually find someone...we think we're close.

Have a question about the Waste King fiber optic switch...do you know if it can be used with an Insinkerator GD? We have an almost new Insinkerator and plan to reuse it...so being able to use the Waste King fiber optic with it will determine if we go air switch or fiber optic because I haven't seen anything where Insinkerator has a fiber optic one available. Thanks!

• ginny20
    10 years ago

Andrea! I was thinking about you last week. Good to hear you're moving ahead. You'll be glad you took your time and got the right person.

Yes, the Waste King fiber optic switch works for any continuous feed GD. I have an Insinkerator with the Waste King fiber optic switch, and so does kaseki. I love that switch.

I realize now that I said that the Waste King switch plugs in, and this was a problem. Well, so does the air switch, and it's not actually a problem. I wonder now if my GC had ever installed either before. He was the one who said that it was a problem that it plugged and he had to adjust it so it could be hard wired. As time goes on, I find more things that various GC's have done in my house that may not have been optimal, shall we say.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

Ginny - I'm sorry, I didn't subscribe to this when I wrote so I missed your reply.

I'm checking into the Waste King one a little further. Some people have mentioned it seeming a little "flimsy" as opposed to the air switch. What's your experience with that?

I don't think we have an issue with it plugging in under the sink - our GD in our old house was set up that way, and I rather liked it. I guess I just need to make sure to tell the GC to put an outlet in under the sink.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living