Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vtlakehouse

Finished-Cherry with Cambria and Built-In Nook

vtlakehouse
13 years ago

Our kitchen remodel was completed on Friday! It looks great and I want to thank all that provided input to my postings as we worked through the many decisions.

Our kitchen is quite small with an adjoining breakfast nook. To open the space up, we had a custom built-in made for the nook seating and added a pantry/message center for more storage.

0kitchen/5.jpg" border="0"

The highlights:

Norcraft cherry cabinetry with harvest stain and chocolate glaze

Cambria Nottingham

Delta Addison faucet

Ticor S405 sink

Restoration Hardware Quincy knobs

Backsplash is Walker Zenger Moda Mosaic in Mahogany

Kenmore Elite OTR micro

Kichner halogen UCL

Overhead lighting from Lamps Plus

Existing:

American Cherry floors

Other Kenmore Elite appliances

Now on the hunt for a custom table to match!

Comments (24)

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Love how the backsplash compliments the gorgeous wood throughout! Well done!

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

That is one COSY kitchen. That looks like a wonderful place for a cup of coffee and a scone if I ever saw one! Really like the warm tones throughout!

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

It is beautiful! Congratulations, enjoy!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

What a warm and cozy kitchen! Your layout in the kitchen work area is almost exactly like my kitchen at our previous house. I wish mine had been so pretty! I love your floors with your cabs and BS! Your built-in seating and the pantry are gorgeous! I could sit and look at that view all day, sipping a cup of hot tea and reading my cookbooks. I hope you'll post again when you find your table! Enjoy!

• xand83
    13 years ago

I would like to be on that wrap-around bench with a big mug of coffee and the Sunday paper (and a table). So comfy looking!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

It looks great! I love the built in seating. Enjoy

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Wow. That is an extremely inviting space. Very warm, and such beautiful graining on the cabinets. Congratulations!

What are you going to use that cool hutch for? Is that like a "butler's pantry" area?

• momtofour
    13 years ago

The seating is beautiful! I personally don't want small tiles for my backsplash. But I have to tell you that is probably the prettiest, most complementary backsplash I've seen yet!

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Nice! But I want to see the lake! You did what we did re: the fridge. We built the wall out to cover the side of a traditional-depth fridge. It worked out great for us, too. Perfect solution.

And I love the bench. Are those wooden floor registers used as accents? Nifty idea.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

Ohmigosh - I *love* that (I seem to have been saying that a lot lately; but I do!!). That bench is about the nicest looking place I can imagine. Is it to be wrapped around a table? Because I would just love it with big fluffy pillows like a window seat. That might leave you a table short but it would be so comfortable...

I like your pantry too -- a little bit like what I was sort of planning. Can you please tell me how wide is yours?

Mmmmmm..... the colors are delicious!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Great backsplash and wonderful built in seating!!! Very nice, overall.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is very interesting! I am particularly liking the intensity of the cherry--especially how it shows different color in different light. Great natural light by the way! And the nook seating is really exquisite.

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

I agree with everyone else who is remarking about how cozy, warm, and inviting your kitchen it, because it is so true. What are those neat grate inserts in the banquette seating area? They look cool.

• warmfridge
    13 years ago

Love all that beautiful wood. I want to come and cook at your house!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. The cherry cabinetry gives off a warmth
    that is both inviting and charming. The walker zanger stone
    tile creates an organic texture while adding subtle drama.
    Your built in seats are a perfect creative way to add
    seating and keep your views of those tall trees outside.
    I have to ask the beautiful picture on the wall of a lake
    and small islands. Where is it from? Is this where you
    currentlty live? Is this VT or Canada? I love that you
    incorporated that photo into your decorating. Excellent.
    ~boxer

• cj47
    13 years ago

I'm a sucker for cherry every time--those cabs are beautiful! And I love you backsplash and the light fixture,too. Very pretty! Enjoy the new space!
    Cj

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

Beautiful - I love cherry. Your backsplash and counters go so well with it. Enjoy!

• kbmboston
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! I love the color of your cabinets. I am also having a darker stained cabinet and love the look. While all these white kitchens are beautiful, they really aren't my style. I would love to do a banquet as well, perhaps someday.

• vtlakehouse
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! The nook seating certainly sets off the area. Our GC worked very well with us throughout the design process as it evolved through our many conversations.

marcolo - the hutch replaced an angled breakfast bar that took up too much floor space. So now the hutch acts as additional storage and message center. The cubbies hold keys and ipods and the charging station is on the counter. Since it is just outside of the kitchen area, we did not want it to look out of place so we tried to make it look more like a piece of furniture than a kitchen cabinet. It does not go up to the ceiling but has crown detail at the top, the center unit extends out 3" inches from the sides and has a wooden insert in the back rather than tiled backsplash or paint and we added an arched trim at the bottom of the center unit.

momtofour - My goal was to find a small tile I liked because I thought the typical subway tile would look too big in the smaller kitchen since we have no long run of counter. I started with more of a minature subway tile but stopped when I found the mosiac. To me it captures all the colors without a trendy style - all part of the timeless look we were going for.

jakabedy & Adrienne2011 - the grates in the seating area are made of wood. We found them from patterncuts.com that mostly suggests using them as air intakes. The grates are laser cut with many patterns to choose from or you can design your own. Our GC suggested routering out the seat back and added rounded edges to the grate so there is a flush and customized look. The grates were added for a purpose - we have hot water baseboard heat under the seating and these grates allow the heat to escape and flow into the room. So far - it is working well. There are also three seats that open for storage underneath.

jakabedy - the lake is down a slight hill just beyond the trees outside of the kitchen window!

aliris19 - The pantry unit is 60" wide. The center is 30" with each pantry side equalling 15". I designed the center unit and Norcraft (a semi-custom co.) custom-made the center drawer unit as that was not a stock item.

boxer - the picture on the wall is of Malletts Bay in Lake Champlain. That is just north of Burlington, VT. Our summer home is docked at a marina there and is visible in the picture. Our house is on an inland lake not far from there.

kbmboston - I too have enjoyed seeing the white kitchens on GW and would go for one if I had a new house. Our current house has absolutely no white of anything so a white kitchen would look so out of place!

Thanks for all the compliments - reaffirms the decisions I made worked out well!

• ironcook
    13 years ago

just beautiful. those cherry floors are amazing. your kitchen complements them wonderfully.

the backsplash is just the right touch in scale and tone. great choice!

i bet a lot of people come to GW craving inspiration for a wood kitchen. this is just the ticket! it will be fun to see the table when you find it. good luck! :)

• jgs7691
    13 years ago

Ironcook is a mind-reader --I read this thread looking for inspiration for a wood kitchen, and I couldn't have found a lovelier project! I adore the backsplash -- after looking at countless "inspiration" photos, I don't think I've seen any tie an entire space together as well as yours. Great choices!!

• 10KDiamond
    13 years ago

Love the nook. Love the floors. Love the back splash. Everything is so sweetly put together. Great job.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

That kitchen is beautiful. The backsplash is a perfect choice to tie all the wood together. I'm not a wood kitchen person but that kitchen could convert me. It is gorgeous. It looks really warm especially with all that snow outside.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Ooooh, so rich and yummy, like a piece of chocolate cake. You've pulled everything together so nicely. I agree that your bench is the perfect spot to cozy up with a cup of coffee and chat. Enjoy your new kitchen!