Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katieob_gw

Saying goodbye to our kitchen.....

katieob
13 years ago

Hi all.

I associate members with their kitchens, so here's me:

Sniffle Sniffle-We sold our house & closing is March 11. It's going to be very hard to leave the whole house, but the KITCHEN...well, there will be some tears. I'm also almost 8 months pregs so add the hormones and no booze. Aaagh!

I'm being dramatic since this is our choice, totally. The reason: When first married, we lived in a town we LOVED. House was my uncle's. Not willing to sell it to us, so after 3 years we bought a place in the city. Loved it in the city, but 2 kiddos later & no space, decided to go to back to the burbs. We now rent out the city condo.

Looked casually in the town we had been in & loved but it's pretty expensive & we had a bee in our bonnet to build a new, custom home. We built it in a different town, moved in, and realized soon after we'd made a mistake.

We've realized location & neighborhood is more important than the house. We "knew" that as conventional wisdom before, but convinced ourselves differently. Also, the economy kind of scared us and we would rather have less house, less mortgage, less stress. Oldest kiddo is 4, so they have not started school or anything. And, we learned a lot while building and would sort of enjoy a renovation opportunity. We'll be moving in with my Dad (who is delighted since he's been a widower for 3 years since my Mom passed away) while house hunting and I'm hoping to find a house that needs a kitchen reno....I'm thinking of changing gears & going wood island this time....too early to start posting about a hypothetical kitchen?

I think the thrill of doing another kitchen (I honestly research faucets for enjoyment) will sustain me through the upheaval. I hope.

So, anyone ever done this kind of thing? Anyone want to reassure me?

As always, thanks for reading.

Katie

Comments (47)

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I've never done this, but I assure you that YOU can do this. It is made more difficult with your current state of flowering.

You have exquisite taste and are obviously TKO. How fun to be able to try a new style! Please keep us apprised of where you land and what you do next. Good luck!

• stephct
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh, I have your kitchen saved as one of my dream kitchens! So hard to leave, but IMHO you are definitely making the right choice!

Can I bother you w/some questions about this kitchen? Is that soapstone? How has your marble island held up? It's Calcatta, right? Do you prep on it? Are there more pictures of the rest of your kitchen on the finished kitchen blog?

Good luck w/your move!

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Wow, Katie! I recall several of your steps in designing and building this fabulous kitchen. Now, as you share with us about your moving on to new frontiers, I'm feeling a smidgeon of "loss" over seeing you part with this kitchen myself. What a magnificent job you did with this kitchen! OTOH, I understand completely that things change. And, thank goodness they do! And, when they do, we must be willing to change as well. That's how we learn from our mistakes and grow and do the best for ourselves and our families. I think that's called "progress."

In this case, it sounds like your move will also result in you giving a wonderful "gift" of companionship and familial support to your dad as well. So, all the way around, and even though you are leaving this masterpiece behind, hooray for you! I wish you all the best in your next chapter. Especially the part about planning the new kitchen all over again! :-)

• worldmom
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is one of my all-time favorites. There is such balance and symmetry to it, plus I love all your choices of materials and appliances. I can definitely understand that it will be hard to leave, but think of the new place as an opportunity to get another new kitchen with a lot more experience under your belts. We all find there are things we would do differently (given the chance!) when we finish a project, so you actually get to have that chance. :o)

Sounds like this is is all carefully thought through, and certainly that gorgeous kitchen is going to help you get your place sold. Best wishes to you! Can't wait for Part Two! :o)

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

The new owner will enjoy this kitchen.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Oh Katie, your kitchen will always be remembered here. It's just so beautiful. Best of luck to you during this move. Make sure to take even more photos of details of that kitchen to take with you.

Now then, we must know about how the sale of your house went...so many of us are so concerned about resale value when planning our kitchens. What did the new people say?

Good Luck!

-bee

• kitchendreaming
    13 years ago

Katie
    Best wishes for a healthy, wonderful Baby! Your kitchen is exquisite and your new one will be too!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

The one bad thing about this forum is after doing a kitchen and becoming TKO, no one else's will ever measure up unless it was done through GW as well, lol....

Congrats on the baby and hope you have some great memories while staying with your dad. An extra pair of adult hands will come in handy!

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

((HUGS))
    I can completely understand how you would be upset leaving that fabulous kitchen, it's by far one of my favorites!

And I'm totally sure that no matter where you end up you'll make the next kitchen just as spectacular, if not more so!

Good luck!

• sandn
    13 years ago

Katieob,
    We're fairly new around here, but not so new as to have failed to notice your tremendous influence on so many people reading this forum, us included.
    You seem very wise. Neighbours and family are more important than houses. It's so easy to get bound up in the minutiae when immersed in a renovation. Best of luck. I hope you'll stay around to offer your experienced opinion.

• itsallaboutthefood
    13 years ago

Although it must be hard to leave such a beautiful kitchen, you do have a wonderful opportunity to do it again even better. As I am nearing my kitchen remodel in our forever house, I am a little sad that I won't be able to dream about and plan a new kitchen anymore. But at least there are the bathrooms to look forward to!

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I have considered the kind of thing you're doing for financial reasons, too...And like you, after building, would think it interesting and would feel up to the challenge of a renovation. We really have to finish this house before considering such a thing, but after what you've accomplished, I'm sure you can do it. Wonderful that you'll end up where you want and with less financial burden, and for now, you can make your dad really happy, too! Best wishes.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

Katie, your kitchen is one of the most drooled over and admired kitchens on this board! It will always be "Katieob's kitchen", even if the Queen of England were to move in. :^D

My best to you in your new move, in your new hunt, and for your very precious blessing arriving soon! Enjoy time with your Dad, as I am certain he will love having you and his grandbabies with him as long as he can!

I will be on the watch for the next katieob kitchen project! I can only imagine how wonderful it will be!

• carrie_eileen
    13 years ago

Katie - Your kitchen was saved as one of my favorites . . . and I'm sure your next one will be too. I'm sure the new owners will adore it. Best of luck to you and your family as you take on this next step!

• morgne
    13 years ago

Katieob,

I DO recognize your pictures more easily then the name and yours is so lovely!

It IS sad to see your kitchen go but at the same time the door is opening into a whole new kitchen! I can't wait to see what it looks like!

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

katie, i too will miss your kitchen! but i don't think you have anything to worry about. you've had plenty of "practice" so i can't wait to see your NEW kitchen! and there isn't a doubt in my mind you won't have the opportunity to build one. after leaving your gorgeous white dream there is no way you can live with anything less.

we moved to our current location seven months after finishing up a twelve year (yes, i said 12) reno of our 103 year old first home. three floors, six bedrooms and four baths later we packed up and moved into ...a dump. a dump in a gorgeous town with acreage. after six years i will finally realize my dream in just a few short months. i've been very patient. but i often remember the old place fondly, as you will too.

once in your new home you will open your eyes and see the possibilities! however much i hate living in this awful "temporary" place i realize once we're all done ...i'll need to find a new project. i don't know if i can ever truly settle in; i LOVE designing the space and seeing it come to fruition. i have a feeling there's a bit of that in you too.

you will be happy and we will be happy (and excited) to share it all with you again!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Katie, wishing you a healthy baby and a trouble-free move! As for being upset--of course you're upset leaving your beautiful kitchen! But it sounds like you've made the right choice. I look forward to hearing about your new home and watching you develop a new kitchen!

• johnnyl53
    13 years ago

Love this kitchen. Almost an updated 20's feel to it. Clean, clean, clean. Simple backsplash. Great hood. No frou frou...no corbels, acres of columns. Wonderfully simple.

• rmkitchen
    13 years ago

I totally get it! We had a magnificent house in San Francisco, well, the house was okay but what we did to it, particularly the gardens, was tremendous. I couldn't imagine ever leaving / selling it -- so much blood, sweat and tears. Mostly sweat and cursing, actually. But anyway, then we had children and our lives changed, our priorities changed, and I was ready to leave that house, to leave all our beautiful, hard work.

We moved to a place which works for our young family and its needs, and while I occasionally think fondly of our gardens I never, ever wish we were still there. Never. Plus I've had so much fun in this house, working in this house, starting from scratch with these m-u-c-h smaller gardens and learning about gardening here. (We now live in the high country.)

You are off on the most amazing adventure -- the beautiful new addition to your family! And to get to spend this special time with your father, wow. All that you've learned building this house is going to make for such an exciting reno when you do it. I am really happy for you!

• prill
    13 years ago

Katie - it sounds like you have all of your priorities right. First, congratulations on your new baby! I can't help but think about how lucky your dad will be to have all of you with him for a while, and how nice it will be for him to have a brand new baby in his home (and all of you).

You did such a wonderful job on your kitchen, I know the next one will be beautiful too. I remember the day that marble went in. Think of what fun you'll have doing it all again!

I'm sure that kitchen was a huge selling point for your house and now another family will get to love it too.

It will be fun to watch your progress again in a new place. Please send pics of the new addition when he/she arrives.

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Katieob, Your kitchen is one that I always enjoyed looking at. You have a lot of talent putting together a kitchen and I will look forward to seeing what you do. Especially the wood island. I want to do wood in a second home myself. That will be the fun part, you get to do it again but differently. As far as living with your father, best decision yet. That will be a nice memory for you to have. We had our daughter, son in law and one grandchild with us for a little while they saved for a house. A little turned into 2 years but it was good for all of us. I hope you have an easy time with all of it. So best wishes for the next Katieob kitchen.

• User
    13 years ago

Katie, the installation of the marble on your island was the first GW forum page I ever happened across. (I'm not even sure how, since I never researched marble for myself. Maybe I was looking for pictures of soapstone.) I looked and read and followed links--and I was amazed. Here was a place where people looked at kitchens with open eyes, creativity, practicality, and intelligence, unlike any other resource I had seen. Thank you for being the introduction to GW for me.

All the best to you and your family in the search for a new home!

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

I'm another who has admired and adored your kitchen. But I admire your reasoning and integrity even more -- I agree that neighborhood is SO important. We love our 'hood and our our house here has grown with us. You'll find a house in a neighborhood you love, and you'll make it your HOME. You'll make it beautiful!

Congrats and your 'great expectations' and good luck with your search. Enjoy your time with your Dad, and we all look forward to sharing in your next project!

• marmoreus
    13 years ago

Oh, what a great kitchen! It's one of my very favorites and I'm sure it will be hard to leave. But as others have said, I think you are making a wise choice and it will be nice to spend time with your dad and also fun for you to use your experience and do something new. Congrats on your new little one! Moving and having a baby at the same time is a lot--I hope it is all peaceful and stress-free!

• mythreesonsnc
    13 years ago

I have also really admired your kitchen, as well as the rest of the beautiful home you have created. Your mudroom, kitchen and adjoining spaces have fabulous detail, and clearly you are very talented. It would be a bit sad if you didn't get another chance to create an amazing space. I look at this as a bit of good fortune for you --- you are at a time when it makes sense to make some change (given ages of kids and needs of your dad) and in the end, you'll get the space you want in the place you want. The best part for all of us is that we get to enjoy your creative process twice! Can't wait to see this masterpiece! Best of luck in the move, with the baby and hope to "see" you soon! Rachel

• arlosmom
    13 years ago

I'll bet your house sold in a heartbeat with that kitchen. It's so beautiful with those heart pine floors and the yummy marble on the island. Truly one of my favorite GW kitchens.

Good luck with everything. I hope you're planning to stay active on the forum.

• teresa518
    13 years ago

I know exactly how you feel. I sold my house in November with a just renovated kitchen.

I was so sad to leave. Opposite from you, I am now in the process of buying a new construction which already has the kitchen installed (and not quite to my TKO specs:)

But the new house is the right thing for me and it sounds like your decisions are right for you.

This kitchen will always have a soft spot in your heart - mine does. But you will learn to love another and maybe buy a house that will require a new kitchen as well.

Best of luck to you with the new addition and your upcoming move. It can be a difficult time and I must admit that I hate moving so much that I hope to stay in my next house for the rest of my life!

• John Liu
    13 years ago

You have a lovely kitchen and your next one will be even lovelier.

Do you have any initial leaning? All things being equal, do you imagine your next kitchen looking like the current one, or going off in a different direction?

I know it will depend on the house, but supposing that were a neutral canvas.

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Katie, as my kitchen neared completion and I was still looking at more kitchens here, in magazines, real estate ads, or whatever, I kind of prided myself on being able to say that I still liked my kitchen better no matter what the price range. But there are a handful, yours included, that have gone into my "I could buy that house" collection. It's an elite group -- you done good.

I feel your pain, but am also a bit envious, in that sick sort of glutton for punishment way, that you will get to do it again. You learn so much from the process, and you can't possibly use all the things you like, so I hope you will one day take most of the things you liked best about this kitchen, combine them with a few new ideas and a couple of things you might not have been able to do before -- maybe a couple of things to fit the personality of the new house, and make it just as wonderful in it's own way.

Meanwhile, I think you are doing the right thing, have your priorities in order -- no doubt sold that house to someone who is telling all their friends and family about the to-die-for-better-than-a-magazine kitchen, and you're going to get to enjoy some focus on family time. I hope you can get moved before the baby arrives and that I'll still pop in and get to see the next kitchen when that time comes. Best of luck with everything.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Congratulations on child #3 (?)! I also think you're making a wise move...neighborhood, schools, people are definitely more important that the size of your house or "ideal" layout. Maybe you'll even grow closer to your dad during this as well as let him get to know his grandchildren better!

As to your "current" kitchen...I really like it as well! It's so bright and simple yet elegant.

However....I don't think it's in the FKB! Could you add it b/f you leave (along with lots of pics!)? Not only do we want to be know all about it, but it can be used as a wonderful example for others.

Good luck with everything!

I'm sure I don't have to tell you, but don't do any box moving or lifting...let others do it...relax and supervise! :-)

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

First, congrats on the baby-to-be!!!! This little creation will certainly top the creation pictured above!

As for saying goodbye to your kitchen, my heart does ache for you. I cannot imagine leaving our house with all the work we've done to it. You are creative and talented and will surely create another beautiful kitchen wherever you go. We all look forward to seeing it.

• louisianapurchase
    13 years ago

First, congratulations and blessings to you and your family on that soon to be new "little katieob!"

Second, I wish you and your family good luck on your new journey even though we will miss that kitchen. I hope the new owners appreciate how fortunate they are and what a great space you have created for them.

However, I do look forward to seeing what you create next.

• Christine Clemens
    13 years ago

Oh, my. I can't believe it. You have one of my favorite kitchens. I know your new kitchen will be just as fabulous. Best of luck with all of your projects, especially your little baby. Be sure to keep us posted.

• elizpiz
    13 years ago

Katie, adding to all the well wishers here and echoing the hope that once you're settled with your new baby, that you'll be here to share with us your next kitchen adventure. Your kitchen is exquisite and as others have said, you'll be able to take all that great learning and put it to such good use.

Wishing you happiness in your new home,
    Eliz

• niffy
    13 years ago

Katie, congrats on all of it- the baby, finding a buyer... Your kitchen is beautiful and your next one will be again...
    We had JUST finished an incredibly painful basement remodel, with a beautiful result, when we decided to move for reasons similar to yours. The basement helped sell the house, as I am sure your kitchen has. We moved into temporary housing in our preferred town while we built new. Even while we were in the rental, we were just so happy to live where we wanted to! I missed our house, but every day I got up and drove to school and work and rejoiced in our new location. You definitely won't regret this.
    At the end of the day, we moved into our house, and the main area that was a no-brainer was the basement, as we just copied the previous one. We loved it, so why not? So enjoy the baby, then get to work finding a great home for your family... And if you decide you really can't top yourself re:the kitchen, then just copy yourself. That is why your kitchen leads the hall of fame pack!

• sis2two
    13 years ago

Katieob--it sounds like you are doing what is going to be better for you and your family. I am sure you will have a great time doing another kitchen and please stay connected to the gw. Congratulations on the new baby. This will be a great new adventure all around!

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

I agree that neighborhood is more important than the house. The house is something that you can change and morph into what you want but a neighborhood either IS or it ISN'T, not much you can change. We picked our house soley b/c of neighborhood and great schools. Lucky for us the previous owners that lived here for 7 years did nothing to the house, we really could start from scratch making it out own. We began with a fence (dog earred pickets and gothic posts, double gate in back, single gate in front - exactly how WE wanted it). Then a flagstone patio (when most people in our neighborhoods have decks. Then landscaping - again what WE wanted. Kitchen we did a partial remodel 3 years again and will hopefully do our phase 2 soon. our home has no fireplace so we are adding one in a month - gas fireplace with custom mantle and stacked stone surround/hearth. Our neighbors said that our home was on the market well over 7 mos before we bought it b/c it needed so much done to it but we look at it as lucky b/c we can put our OWN touch on it and not settle for someone else's touch (remodeling).
    Your kitchen was beautiful - you will create a kitchen in your next home even more beautiful and more fine tuned.You will be the expert on kitchen remodels by the time all is said and done! I look forward to hearing more about your adventures in home ownership!
    Congrats on the new baby and the new adventure ahead!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

I'm sure your showstopper of a kitchen will help your sale.

And think of all you have learned. Plus, if you are like me, you can imagine two or three different types of "dream kitchens" and now you get to play with a new one!

I got to enjoy my kitchen for almost nine years, so it is not as hard to say goodbye. But a reno can be a real labor of love.

And kudos of you for doing the right thing --- here's wishing you emotional buyers who get into a bidding war imagining Thxgiving with your kitchen, and harried bank sellers on the other side!

• greenhousems
    13 years ago

Katie.. Your Kitchen must be so so hard to leave, however what a blessing to be bringing a new baby into your life. I wish you and your family all the best in your journey... and.. how exciting to be able to design a new kitchen. Enjoy the road ahead; you have given so many people on this forum inspiration with your kitchen

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

I did this! We moved to an old farm house (circa 1834) in central PA. It was horrible and we did much remodeling--including a complete kitchen gut. This was 2007. I was a lurker then, but learned all about subway tiles and soapstone from this site.

I loved that kitchen. Still do. But not even a year after it was done we moved! It was just not sustainable living in the middle of nowhere with 2 kids on the cusp of school.

We moved three years back to a 1962 home in Florida. The kitchen was terrible. I thought we would never be able to remodel (our move actually increased our expenses) and if we did, I was expecting a lesser kitchen than what I had in PA.

Well, my newest kitchen is even better than the one before!

Your kitchen, however, will be tough to beat! It is beautiful. I really truly hope the new owners appreciate it and all the work that went into your meticulous choices! I have faith in you that another fantabulous kitchen is down the road for you!

• sallybeth
    13 years ago

Congrats on the soon-2-b new little one! Your kitchen has been in my favorites for a while. Love it! It's gotta be sad to leave it, but I can only imagine what you'll do with your next one.

I have to ask, were your latches difficult to use at all? I love them.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Oh Katieob,

One door closes another door opens.

I believe your next kitchen is going to be more stunning.
    Right now it is hard to imagine but it will happen. With
    your taste, talent, vision and creativity, your next
    kitchen will be a dream come true.

I have been in a similar situation. Not the kitchen but
    the home. I left a fantastic neighborhood, a dream home,
    and great schools because of my DH's promotion. It was a
    hard to say good-bye. And I missed all the little details
    of my old place. I missed my friends, my garden, my cute
    little office, my fireplace in the master bed room, tiled
    patio, pool, living just 20 miles from DC...

But, DH and I made the right choice for our family. We
    moved into a new adventure that got our minds excited. This
    new place you move to will give you a challenge and ignite
    your brain. You will make the next kitchen as magnificent
    (probably more so) then the one you are saying good-bye too.
    And you are doing this for your family. I think what helped
    me the most was reminding myself that my family came first.
    My family and what makes us work as a family was priority.
    You are doing this for your husband and your children.
    This will get you through the rough patch. And your sweet
    new baby will get to part of the transformation of a new
    place into a stunning kitchen.

You can do this. Say good-bye and then say BRING IT ON.
    Bring on the new possibilities, the new ideas, and the new
    options and let the joy unfold.

~boxer

• ajard
    13 years ago

Katie....OMG.. I hardly ever log on to this site anymore.. on rare occassions and something told me when I woke up to check this site... You are forever in my home and heart as my true kitchen guide to come up with a plan when I renovated mine... but after seeing my Dad move from NJ to FL to KY back to FL now where he was... I have witnessed LOCATION LOCATION.. any house can become a home. You design talent will shine anywhere you live. Having 4 kids myself the school district/neighborhood can be so critical. Everything you said makes sense. Good Luck with your new life adventure.. I always think of changes like this as just another adventure. Hope to continue to hear from you!
    Amanda ajard@msn.com

• jeri
    13 years ago

Katie - I too would like to echo what everyone has said. Your kitchen is one of my favorites and one I would like to copy when my time comes. As someone who hunted for just the right house for over 2 years, I can almost guarantee that any kitchen you find will need renovation. After learning so much from this forum, I could not believe how all the kitchens we looked at needed so much help! We finally found our renovation and hopefully can start the kitchen Spring of 2012.

But, I do have to ask... Why would you go with a wood island over the marble? Be honest - was the upkeep and/or patina more than you expected? I ask because DH wants wood and I want YOUR kitchen - which of course, means a thick Marble island and Soapstone counters. :-)

• ajard
    13 years ago

Hey Jeri
    FYI.. as you probably know I did part butcher block and mostly marble. I dont baby it and my marbles patina is etched EVERYWHERE!!!! but is doesnt bother me and the lighting in my kitchen doesnt exaggerate it.. but it is circles , dots, cup marks everywhere if you look at an angle..You dont see it standing over it or from a far.. but when sitting at the table and looking you can see how etched it is...I dont know how anyone can make it stay not etched if they are really not babying it... I think your kitchen lighting will be critical as to how obvious it is.. I get no sunlight so I am good.

• katieob
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi all.

Just wanted to give a heartfelt thank you for all of your kind words of encouragement. I appreciate you all taking a moment to respond. Really reassuring.

The people buying our home are super excited and that makes me happy. The woman absolutely loves the kitchen! We are selling without a realtor, so the husband came over last night to go over some paperwork and I watched him constantly stroking the marble!

We're making out pretty well with the sale, especially in the economic climate. My dh knows the buyer from work connections, so no realtor fees has helped!

I will definitely use marble and/or soapstone again. I've just lately been loving the teak & walnut counters that pop up on the forum....

I'll keep you updated on house & baby-thanks again, everyone!

Katie

• slush1422
    13 years ago

Katieob I LOVE your kitchen. Do you have pictures up somewhere else? I didn't see anything on the KFB. I am new to this forum and we are in the beginning stages of our kitchen remodel. Your kitchen is very inspiring, especially since we are definitely leaning towards white now.

Congratulations on your move. It sounds wonderful for your family.