Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
five4me_gw

exposed on the counter or hidden.. where to put the paper towels

five4me
11 years ago

I am down to the fine kitchen design details of deciding where everything should go.. I got to the paper towels and was stumped. I am looking for suggestions.. My cleanup sink is in the island and the only place that I saw pics of was in top drawer of the garbage base cabinet. This shortens the garbage from an 18 to a 15in cab and then the can is not as tall either..
Does anyone have suggestions?

Comments (38)

• allison0704
    11 years ago

I bought a handmade ceramic paper towel jar from The Workshop of David T Smith. Sometimes they have sales. The price has gone up a tiny bit since I purchased. Sometimes their inventory is zilch. I'd love to get a second one for my laundry room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Creative Paper Towel Holders

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

We keep ours out on the counter (we go through more than I care to admit) in a lovely Michael Aram Botanical Leaf paper towel holder.

(We got it for less--older + sale price)

Here is a link that might be useful: Botanical Leaf holder

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

I use paper towels more in my prep areas than in my cleanup area. There are lots of threads on the subject so you may find the solution you want by searching.

Google this: Site:ths.gardenweb.com paper towels

Here's what we did. Prep area (shallow, tiled open cabinet, where we keep the cutting boards):

Baking zone:

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to earlier thread

• allison0704
    11 years ago

Thank you, Mizinformation. The faucet is a Rohl Single Lever C Spout Country Kitchen Faucet with Sidespray, but I don't think they offer the lever I have any longer (which I love, delicate looking and easy to use). It's a living finish, so it's worn in places we touch (mainly the end of the lever) but I knew that going in, so no surprises.

It doesn't look like they offer it in the ORB anymore. They've gone to Tuscan Brass which isn't as dark as mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rohl C Faucet

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

We keep ours in one of the top drawers with the plastic wrap and oil. It's been there for 30 years and the location is very handy.

Sometimes if I'm cutting up a chicken or something really messy I might put the roll on the counter so that I can grab a sheet quickly.

• ck_squared
    11 years ago

We have the holder in the link below. I keep it in a lower cabinet and will do the same when we remodel. It's handy when I need it and with the loop on top, it's easy enough to grab if I want it out on the counter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Simple Human tension arm paper towel holder

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

ck, I just put that on my Amazon wish list (along with a pile of other stuff for my kitchen remodel). For 24 years we've had paper towels on a holder on the wall, but I'm taken with the thought of being able to move them around the kitchen as needed. Mine will probably sit out, tucked in the corner next to the fridge.

• ginny20
    11 years ago

You could still do a paper towel cubby with an 18" cab. In fact, I wish I'd had more room for mine than just 15". The best design I've seen so far is 2littlefishies', because it makes use of the space behind, and it pulls out for easily changing the paper. I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be for my cab maker to come out and retrofit mine.

But my kitchen is small, so I'm never far from the cubby. If you have a larger space, then a movable holder or two holders would work better.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

I'd rather just have the naked roll on a counter so I can grab it and use it at whatever spot I need it. I'll just stash it under the sink when the kitchen magazine photographers stop by.

I'm with Mizinformation.

• williamsem
    11 years ago

I haven't decided yet, but I'm thinking of getting one of those backsplash bar systems and using their paper towel holder attachment. I don't want to put holes in the tile though, so it would be along the wall next to the range where there won't be tile. Would also get a utensil holder for a few essentials, the rest would be in the drawer with the knife block. Still exploring my options though.

Otherwise I'll keep my current wire stand on the counter. I'll have more prep space, so it will be easier to keep them handy.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I can tell you what doesn't work for me. I am still looking for what will.

I am cooking more and find I am no longer satisfied with my under-sink paper towel storage. Here is a pic of the one under the prep sink.

It really is easy to just take it out and leave it on the counter while I am working. But a bit awkward to try to tear towels off an unmounted roll.

I considered under cabinet mounts, but I don't like the protrusion, even though part of it would be hidden behind the light rail. I couldn't afford to sacrifice a whole drawer's worth of storage to paper towels, so that wasn't a consideration.

But now, ooooh, I want Cat mom's botanical towel holder. It BELONGS in my kitchen. I am in terminal, grab-the-credit-card lust!

I hope you will let us know what you decide to do.

• five4me
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Is this 2littlefishies? What is that mechanism she has on the side..

I struggle with having the paper towels in one location. I think about prep space and any other spot.. The moving holders are a great idea but will I be looking around the kitchen for where I left it last? Or DH..

• ginny20
    11 years ago

Yes, this is a better picture. The whole top shelf slides out separately from the garbage below. It appears she bought a paper towel holder and attached it on the side.

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

We have a holder much like the Simple Human one from Amazon, maybe just an older model.

This nice thing about this holder is that the tension arm holds the roll well enough that when you pull off a sheet, the rest of the roll stays put, meaning that 5 sheets don't fly off when you just want one. The tension feature works all the way to the end of the roll. I also like the handle on the top for easy easy moving with wet hands.

• cathy725
    11 years ago

I would have loved to put them in a pull out like ginny's! I have a small kitchen and didn't want to lose the drawer space. I currentlly have them mounted under the upper cabinets, and that works really well, but I don't have UCL right now and I will in the renovation.

I haven't figured it out either! I don't care to have them on the counter but may have to go that route. So I'm watching for an idea that will work for me!

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

The stowed away paper towel holder in the cabinet cavity like Fishies is gorgeous, but I go through a lot of paper towels...usually grabbing for one with a dripping hand or hands that are contaminated with something. I would be too messy for that setup.

I have a paper towel holder right now that is similar to the one in the link posted above, but I think it's about worn out since it often dispenses several towels at a time.

This thread led me to research holders and I just ordered this one. I will let you know if I love it (or not).

Here is a link that might be useful: Paper towel holder

• Bunny
    11 years ago

red_lover, definitely let us know how the Polder (I see what they did there) works for you. I'm fine with my paper towels sitting on the counter, but my dispenser (BB&B) isn't satisfactory. I'm considering the Polder or the SimpleHuman.

• laughablemoments
    11 years ago

I just picked up a ratcheting paper towel holder at Bed, Bath & Beyond. It's mechanism is supposed to keep it so that it dispenses one sheet at a timre. DH hung it yesterday, so I can't comment too much on it yet.

Amazon has several different styles. After forever chasing down a free-floating roll that never stays put, I'm looking forward to it being tethered. : )

Here is a link that might be useful: Ratcheting Paper Towel Holders

• Olney
    11 years ago

We have had this one from Crate and Barrel for 6 years now, and it still dispenses one towel at a time, even the half size ones. We use it quite a lot with two little ones.

Here is a link that might be useful: One Towel at a Time

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Fishies' PT holder is the same one laughable linked to.

• annkh_nd
    11 years ago

For $20 to $25, one can try any one of these countertop designs, and later decide to do a fancy built-in type. It's a pretty low-risk decision.

• khinmn92
    11 years ago

I have had a Kamenstein Perfect Tear holder for several years. The same type that Laughable posted (I couldn't get her link to work initiially) Works great. I'm really pleased with it. I have it hanging undercabinet, but could also be mounted on a cabinet door as well. There are both counter top models and hanging models and can be purchased at several retailers such as BBB, Target, Kohls, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kamenstein Perfect Tear Paper Towel Holders

This post was edited by khinmn92 on Fri, Mar 1, 13 at 20:48

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I don't like stuff on the counter so I'm with the naked roll pulled out from under the sink when needed camp.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

Having seen what my 20-month-old DD can do with a roll of toilet paper in less than 30 seconds, there is no way I could store paper towel in an under-counter cubby. My OXO counter-top holder got destroyed when DH dropped it, so I need a new holder for the new kitchen. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions posted.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

bellsmom--LOL!

If you wait until late March-early April(?) Bloomingdale's will be having their F&F sale, and you would likely be able to get 20% off (MA usually participates in the F&F sale, as wel as some, but not all of the other sale events/promos during the year). I know I got mine during one of their sales! :)

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

Cat-mom
    Thanks--I think!

• five4me
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Maire Cate - what size is the drawer that you keep the paper towels in?

Cat mom - I can go through a roll in what seems like a day. They seem to fly off the roll with reckless abandonment.

That could have something to do with the fact that we do not buy paper napkins and I am grossed out by sponges and 2nd use dish rags. Especially when I can not remember what the first use was. OCD.

My kitchen is very small 12 x 12 and while it pains me to give up the top drawer to paper towels I am all over fishies' garbage paper towel contraption.

I was thinking of putting it to the right of the sink. But then I still need to address the other area. DH is more of a sponge dish rag user so if I put a towel rack near him he should be fine. That spot is really only for veggies.

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

I had asked for advice in this forum to reduce paper towel usage and got some great feedback. One of our favorite finds is unpaper towels that are single use cloth napkins that get laundered. We love this. They seem to get better with use. Here is no folding and putting away. They just get stuffed into the towel holder and we refill when it is done. This has reduced our paper towel usage way down. This was an original link from Rhome I think and endorsed by Plllog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Unpaper towels and the tower

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

We originally had a dowel in my pull out cubby that is pictured above but switched to that perfect tear holder from amazon. (We have used a vertical one like that for years and it works great!) With the dowel the towels came out too fast.

Some mentioned they might be too messy to use a towel holder like mine, but my hands are often messy and you're just grabbing the towel. No need to touch the cabinetry really. To change a towel, yes- but in any case to change the towels you have to touch things to get the new towels, etc.

I LOVE it so far- especially now with the perfect tear system. BTW, our cab guy had to take apart the Amazon holder and attach it. Mostly so that it was at the right height in the space.

Here's a thread on paper towel cubbies I started.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Towel Thread

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Linelle---following up with you and others that may be interested.

I did get the paper towel holder in the link above and have been using it for a few weeks. I really like it. It definitely will let you tear off only as much as you want to tear off.

I use Scott paper towels and like the choose a size and like the half sheets most of the time. The rubber bottom of the holder keeps it from unrolling.

The top of the holder only needs to turn 1/4 of a turn to come off and put a new roll on...so easy to refill.

Not that pretty, but very functional.

That's my review :-)

• eleena
    11 years ago

I second what GWlolo said: unpaper towel. Good for your budget and good for the environment.

• firstmmo
    11 years ago

My paper towel holder on the side of my island so it uses very little space and doesn't impinge on the cabinets behind much.

• will2kz
    11 years ago

one more vote for a $20 vertical holder on the counter. Have done both styles, under upper cabinets, under sink, or on counter. On counter wins. Anything you have to touch before you get to your paper towels will get ugly in time. Also when guests spill a glass of red wine (yes this happens frequently at my house), no one needs directions as to where to find the towels....
    I do keep dishtowels mostly for drying my hands and grabbing hot things. But they do not wipe up spills and clean shiny things without leaving streaks or a residue like paper towels..
    And I recycle all paper products so that they can come back as paper towels some day....

• karin_mt
    11 years ago

Another vote to eliminate paper towels altogether! We keep a roll of paper towels in the laundry room and use them rarely. Kitchen cleanup is done with cloth towels, end of story. I have found the opposite of what Will said. Paper towels leave little bits of paper behind, while a cotton towel trumps paper in terms of absorbancy, producing a clean finish, and being reusable.

We use cloth napkins everyday too - and you should see the impressive rag collection in the garage. We are big fans of reusable materials over disposable ones.

Those unpaper towels are cool! Will have to check into those, thanks.

• will2kz
    11 years ago

I'm not sure I agree, I suppose a shiny black granite counter (NEVER doing that again) would show paper if I was leaving it behind...
    But maybe on something not smooth sure.

Maybe I'm just get the wrong kind of cloth towels, I'd be willing to experiment a bit... (spoken like a true scientist).

• EATREALFOOD
    11 years ago

GWlolo, eleena, and karin-I use "Twist" plant based sponge cloths. I like the colors they have...I will check out unpaper too but I don't think my coop buys them. Since I carry all my groceries I have no room in the bag for bulky paper towels.

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

I vote for stand on the counter so you can move where you need it or just stash the roll in a drawer or under the sink. I do the latter because I don't find them attractive enough to deserve a cubby of their own, even less cute when the roll is winding down.