Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauraeds

Stoneyard Visit & Pics

Lauraeds
10 years ago

Hi all -
I've been lurking for quite a while as I plan my kitchen, and have enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts. Thanks to this, I felt very prepared as I went to the stone yard today to pick out my slabs. I've already met with the fabricator, talked about the basics, gotten a basic quote, and then it was off to the stone yard.

I went in thinking I wanted one thing (quartzite - macauba), but came out liking something different.

I always enjoy looking at other folks pics of the stone yards, and seeing what different places call different stone. I'm still torn between 2 -- Need to make my decision in the next few days. Hope you enjoy!

- Laura

Tropical White Quartzite - brazil

White Moon Quartzite - Italy

Quartzite Himilaya - brazil

White Macauba Quartzite - Brazil

Comments (11)

• Lisa
    10 years ago

OMG, that Tropical White Quartzite is to die for!!! Wish I would have seen that when I was looking. I believe the White Moon Quartzite is another name for Macaubus.

• robynstamps
    10 years ago

I like the tropical white one as well! Those are my colors, too. I wish my slab yard had as many quartzites as yours does!

• Laura S
    10 years ago

They were all great in their own ways. I went in to look at the macabus but it had lots of the rust colored streaks in it, which I didn't like, and not much pattern to it.

The white moon is what I'm leaning towards... Beautiful striations, no tans/rust colors...plus, they had one slab (already sold) that was already honed, which is what I'm planning to do, so it was great to see it in person ahead of time.

Honestly, they were all great - I m so glad I've got these to choose from!

• tuxedord2
    10 years ago

They are all gorgeous. The white moon is really interesting! Love the tropical too. Will you get honed samples and do stain testing first or do you think they'll be okay? I know, I know, lots of discussion on the forum about that. Just always liking to read opinions. I still have no countertops haha-- because I'm scared of them!!!

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

They're all very nice looking but I love the white moon! That is so gorgeous in a simple way. I may have to take a look at that! Good luck w/ your decision.

• romy718
    10 years ago

You get an A plus for posting all those pics of beautiful stone slabs. I like the Tropical White & the Moon White, probably leaning toward the Moon White.
    What style is your kitchen?

• nmjen
    10 years ago

Wow, those are all lovely. I also like the White Moon the best, but they are all pretty great.

• andreak100
    10 years ago

I adore the tropical white.

• xc60
    10 years ago

What gorgeous slabs, I like the tropical white & the white moon. It would be hard to choose as they are all so pretty.

• deedles
    10 years ago

white moon is pretty dreamy.

• Lauraeds
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You are correct - I'm leaning towards the white moon. What's really neat (and hard to see in the photos) are these few deposits of pale purplish mineral in some spots, which I love.

The kitchen will be a new kitchen in our old attached garage (great old 1930's brick georgian house) -- bright and light, white shaker style cabinets. Due to the windows and door placement (some our decision, some part of the house's construction) there will be no upper cabinets at all, thus a really long run of countertop and a big island. I'm sure I'll be back to post some layouts for your comments and advice!

Laura