Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivytrail_gw

Neutral Backsplash dilemma

ivytrail
10 years ago

I've recently replaced my old formica postform counters with formica IdealEdge in ivory kashmire. I'm very happy with how the new counters look, now I'd like a tile backsplash; I'm so happy to be rid of the old formica 4 inch backsplash. The picture below shows the new counters with the old wallpaper border that will soon be covered with tile. Cabinets are maple, floor is oak so there is alot of wood in the room that is of the same general hue. I've had lots of tile samples home - travertine looks pink against the countertop. Others in a darker tan or mocha harmonize with the counter but I think would look like endless tan and brown with the cabinets. I'm down to two choices: plain almond and a tan that doesn't compete with the countertop, sort of matches the undertones in it. My concern is that the almond is so plain; however it seems to look fresher against the cabinetry and provides a visual break, which I do like. Concern on the tan one is that all the fixed elements in the room are then either tan/brown or wood. I will paint the room in the future and was thinking about barn red, but that's just preliminary. I am drawn to the simplicity of subway tile and like ivory/cream kitchens where cabinets and backsplash are basically the same color. I do not like mosaic or glass tile, glitzy or metallic things. Don't think it's worth it (for me) to pay much over $6-$8 sf just to get a variation on ivory or almond. Does anyone think the tan tile WILL be just as neutral as the almond and that I'm just not seeing it?? I seem to be able to only post one pic at a time, so will follow this post with the rest so you can weigh in. Also going to change out the brass knobs to update that look.

Comments (48)

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are the two tile samples: almond on left, tan on right.

• Amy Sumner
    10 years ago

I'm sure the designers will weigh in, but I personally much prefer the almond, paler color. Would you consider a traditional subway tile size? Your counters look great, too. New hardware will be lovely as well.

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another view that shows the two tiles taped up to the wall under cabinets.

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    10 years ago

another view

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, sum5463, these tiles both come in subway size and that is what I would use. Any thoughts on grout color with the almond? not sure I want it to 'stand out' with the grout color...

• infinitylounge
    10 years ago

I like the almond too. The other one is nice but it is so much like your counter I think visually it would approach being one big "counter" going up the wall.

I am like you and not so much of a bling-y or focal backsplash person. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not for everyone. As such, I would match the grout to the almond subway.

Good luck, it looks great so far. I really like the maple cabinets.

• Amy Sumner
    10 years ago

I agree with smallhouse--go with a matching grout. The almond subways would be nice. The tan tile is too close, but just off. The pattern in it would really compete with your lovely counters. Maybe others will weigh in with ideas as well.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Love the almond and agree with smallhouse ... match the grout.

• annac54
    10 years ago

Am I right that the almond is a solid color and the tan is variegated? The tan doesn't seem to work because whatever the pattern is, it's a near miss to the countertop and would fight with it. A solid color tan that picks up one of the colors in the countertop would work. The almond is a nice fresh color and would brighten the space, especially if you paint the kitchen a darker color in the future. Agree with the others, match the grout. Your counters look very nice.

• eam44
    10 years ago

Can you post an image of a kitchen that you like??

Here's why. You write that you're "drawn to kitchens where the cabintets and BS are the same color" but you "like the visual break that the almond provides." These are conflicting statements, and an inspiration image will help you sort out what you respond to more, homogeneity or contrast.

I suspect you're looking for a limited, neutral color palette with some contrast for visual interest.

You don't seem to LOVE either tile, so neither is the right one. Here are some other option, some are within bugdet, but let's concentrate on the look first.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

You need to add a little bit of a darker value to break up the blandness. I like the idea of a ceramic subway tile with variation, like in the photo, but in creams and tans. If you feel you need to stick with a plain tile, at least provide some interest with shape or texture. I also think the polished brass hardware disappears on your cabinets, so I'd try a darker tone.

This post was edited by may_flowers on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 11:36

• eandhl
    10 years ago

I like the ivory or a different tan. One that is plain like the ivory.

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much everyone for the feedback, EAM44, I'm drawn to monochromatic kitchens, but I'm not going to paint the maple cabinets so I can't have that type of kitchen right now. I understand your suggestions on doing something texturally or color-wise to break it up.This picture is of tile I brought home that blends very well but I don't care for how varigated it is, my eyes just don't like the dark brown element. If I do the plain almond subway, I'm giving thought to making the first row a 4x4 tile with a half inch twist or ribbon strip right on top of that and then start the subway on top of the twist. Not sure how visible it will be since my counters always have so much on them. Any other ideas about placement of an accent piece?

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    10 years ago

this is another tan tile that looks good with counters but too brown for the cabinets.

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    10 years ago

here's a great picture of what I mean: 4x4 tile at the bottom, twist on top of that, then start the subway. this is also a good example of the monochromatic color scheme that I so like.

• eam44
    10 years ago

OK, got it. The almond will be fine then. Regarding layout, I like your inspiration image. You could use the 4" x 4" on the diagonal as the accent piece, or go with an ivory tile there. Also, consider a grout color that is lighter than the tile.

• deedles
    10 years ago

I always thought it was a rich look to have the same color tiles with the variation in size and layout, such as your image above.

• happy2learn
    10 years ago

Just wanted to add that you should be careful of the undertones (red vs orange vs yellow, etc.) of the tile vs. the formica "granite" vs. the maple cabinets. Be careful they aren't competing or clashing.

Another great site for backsplash inspiration is Houzz--if you haven't already, you might go there and do a search on "backsplashes" and you will see hundreds of PROFESSIONALLY designed kitchens with gorgeous backspashes come up that you can quickly peruse. One thing I have noticed is that most professionally designed kitchens these days show restraint in the backsplashes--gone are decos, listellos, and fancy borders, etc. And you will not see travertine (or ceramic made to look like travertine or stone) backsplashes paired with a light colored granite countertop---they usually clash not only in pattern but undertone. (Travertine usually has a pink undertone and so many lighter granites have a yellow or golden undertone.) I have noticed that designers today are using gorgeous tiles, but keeping it simple overall--simple elegance.That will keep your kitchen from looking too dated too soon, imho.
    Here is a link below to an article on a professional designer's blog that I found helpful. Hope it helps you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Which backsplash tiles go with granite?

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

I just love the backsplash in the white kitchen posted above with the running bond tiles. I also love her kitchen and wish I could find the finished kitchen post I remember seeing in 2011 or 2012.

• Bethanysmom
    10 years ago

Hi. I'm so glad I came across your post! I was debating about using the same countertop, but after seeing your photos, I am sold! So pretty! It's just so hard to tell how they will look from those tiny little swatches, so your photos are extremely helpful.
    I am going with cream/off-white cabinets (new construction) and am faced with the same dilemma regarding the backsplash.
    Have you made a decision yet?

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello Bethanysmom,

Yes, I am going to use Daltile Rittenhouse Square subway tile in almond, which was the lighter tile in my original post ( the tile in the picture was a 6x6 size). I was against any accent tile for the most part, but found this one made by Daltile in the pics below. I would love to get opinion's on the placement of the accent row seen in the pictures below. First higher on the wall, then a lower position in the next post. I'm not sure whether this adds enough to be worth it, once all the 'stuff' clutters up the countertop. This is a small kitchen, so by neccessity I have cannisters, standmixer, microwave, coffemaker all out on the countertop. I'm questioning if the look is 'too fancy' altho I absolutely like the look of tone on tone. The grout color is going to match the tile. Thanks readers, you are the very best!!

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the tile in a lower postition. I look forward to your responses!

• juddgirl2
    9 years ago

Very pretty! Great choice using the almond. If you love the accent tile you should use it. My vote is to use it lower like in the second picture.

• eam44
    9 years ago

Yep, I'd go with the lower layout. Very nice. It's going to be lovely.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Love your choices. Perfect color & I like the accent tile. I'd go with the lower layout.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I agree with everyone above. I really like the accent tile. That made it. And I like the lower position.

• susanlynn2012
    9 years ago

I vote for the almond tile and using the accent tile in the lower position.

• speaktodeek
    9 years ago

Lower position is my vote. However, I'd flip the accent tiles so that the pattern edge is on the bottom of the tiles, not the top as shown. They look top heavy to me with the pattern edge on top and plain edge on bottom.

Very pretty choices for your combination, look forward to progress and finished pictures!

This post was edited by beautybutdebtfree on Sat, May 10, 14 at 9:21

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I will vote for the upper position. We put pencil line tile in above the outlets and you can see it more than if we have positioned it lower. If we had put it lower it would be "interrupted" by everything on the counter. Higher it get only interrupted by the a few things.

• happy2learn
    9 years ago

I like your choice of a simple subway tile backsplash that won't compete with the granite. I agree with beautybutdebtfree's observation that the border tiles look "upside down" - like they should be flipped so that the edge with the decorative border goes on the bottom. Have you tried the border 4 tile rows up instead of only 3? I think it would have better proportions a bit higher than only 3 rows up (too close to being in the middle) and then it wouldn't interfere with the outlet cover plates. I do like the lower version as well, though it might be harder to see if you have lots on the counter.
    I just did my backsplash and one recommendation: do a sample board to test the grout color first!!!
    Please post pics when you are all done!

• dretutz
    9 years ago

Your formica is very, very pretty. I like the almond and vote on higher placement of the accent for visual continuity.

• suel41452
    9 years ago

Ivytrail, I LOVE your countertops!! I want to get the same kind in Formica Idealedge. Is yours the ogee edge? It's just beautiful!!
    I asked a contractor about doing this without the post formed backsplash, and he said he wouldn't do that because water would seep into the Formica without a connected backsplash and ruin it. I want to do a tile backsplash like yours, and wonder if he knows what he's talking about?

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    9 years ago

after picture

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    9 years ago

after picture 2

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    9 years ago

after picture 3

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    9 years ago

after picture 4

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    9 years ago

after picture 5

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    9 years ago

after picture 6

• bicyclegirl1
    9 years ago

Great job ivytrail. It looks so updated & you picked the perfect backsplash to go w/ your new counters. Thank you for sharing.

• Amy Sumner
    9 years ago

Absolutely lovely. It turned out beautifully. I bet you are so happy!

• annac54
    9 years ago

Really love this backsplash. The relief tiles give you interest without it being really "in your face". The perfect light touch for your bright airy kitchen. I like the way you have the plain tiles installed at the end runs of the relief tiles. They finish it off nicely and give it a more custom look. Great job!

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Very nice!!! Perfect tile choices with your pretty formica.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

How lovely! Well done! Plain, but not too plain :-)
    (You didn't need this forum :-))

• suel41452
    9 years ago

Thanks for the info, Ivytrail. Your kitchen turned out perfect!!!

• ivytrail
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hydragea, oh yes I did need this forum! The comments I got back in February helped solidify my choices and gave me confidence. It is very hard for me to visualize a finished look - so posting the pictures and getting feedback was so helpful. My other major influence on what NOT to choose for backsplash tile was Canadian interior decorator and blogger Maria Killam. She has lots of posts about choosing granite patterns and appropriate backsplash tile. She seemed to be a lone voice out there saying plain is better. She advises against trendy mosaic accent tiles that may be out of style in 5 years as well as tile that 'fights' with your granite pattern (formica pattern in my case). I felt the same way, but reading her rationale was the gamechanger. You can access her many, many topics at mariakillam.com.

• Hydragea
    9 years ago

Ivytrail - It just seemed like you had a good sense of what you liked/didn't like. But yes, the forums are a great place to throw out your ideas to see if you're on the right track. As you say, it gives you confidence to proceed.

Yes, I've read Maria Killam's blog. It has a lot of useful info!

• eam44
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hey Ivy, just wondering how you like your choice!

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor