Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
front_gw

Is a lazy susan worth it?

front
10 years ago

I have 3 corner units (2 base and 1 wall) that I am planning on ordering. I think a lazy susan will be a good idea for the wall cabinet. I'm not sure about the two base cabinets. What are your thoughts on lazy susans? I'm thinking about going with an easy reach for one. I'm not sure about the asymmetrical base, however.

Comments (24)

• User
    10 years ago

Bottoms are totally worth it. Uppers, I wouldn't even do a diagonal upper. The door istoo small and limits acces. I'd do an EZ Reach.

• deedles
    10 years ago

Agree with hollysprings. I had an upper lazy susan years ago and I think an EZ Reach would have been more 'user-friendly'. I liked my base lazy susan, though.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

I will do anything not to crawl around on the floor. I absolutely love my lazy Susan. Found this baby on the side of the road.

Before we had a house fire, the house came with a corner upper cabinet. It didn't have a lazy susan in it. I have to tell you this was more worthless than a 12" upper or lower cabinet -- which I think are a HUGE waste of space and money. The corner cabinet opening wasn't big enough to get anything into, either! It had all that space in there, but I couldn't put anything but these smaller items in it. It was an upper Black Hole.

• peony4
    10 years ago

I have a u-shaped kitchen with 2 base super susans. One near my range holds heavy pots, and the other holds small appliances like waffle maker and fondue pot. I find them both very functional. I like being able to turn them to find what I need--especially the pots, which I can lift right up from them.

• peony4
    10 years ago

I have a u-shaped kitchen with 2 base super susans. One near my range holds heavy pots, and the other holds small appliances like waffle maker and fondue pot. I find them both very functional. I like being able to turn them to find what I need--especially the pots, which I can lift right up from them.

• saftgeek
    10 years ago

I guess I'm the odd one out on this one. I chose to forgo the turntables in the bottom cabinets. We have a large pantry and most of our small appliances and heavier objects will be stored there. We have two lazy susans in the upper cabinets (I had no idea our cabinet guy was installing them). I'm thinking we'll use them for spices and smaller stuff. We installed three extra long drawers in the three lower cabinet corners. Since we had pull outs and pan rack dividers installed I didn't think we needed turntables for pots and pans. I think this depends a lot on how much storage room you have and what you think you'll be trying to find a home for. For me, I'm glad we went with drawer storage...

Good luck...

Saftgeek-

• Majra
    10 years ago

We also have a U-shaped kitchen. The corner base cabinets have super susans, where before renovating there were just shelves. The susans are so much more convenient! I use them for storing baking pans, small appliances, and tupperware. I thought I would lose cabinet space, but I had no problems fitting my gear, and I certainly have an easier time getting my stuff out of the cabinets for use now.

• quadesl
    10 years ago

We have a U shaped kitchen and on our recent remodel decided to dead out both corners and went with all drawers on our bottom cabinets and island. We have sufficient storage for everything and the space is more efficient and accessible. We hated our lazy susan! We used it for spices and bottles which are now nicely organized in drawers.

• Datagrrl
    10 years ago

I was getting ready to look for a thread about what people put in these cabinets. This is great info.

I think I might save money and not get the corner cabinet on the wall.

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

I'll give you the opposite opinion. I really don't like lazy susans. I used our one and only bottom corner cabinet to house all the large and odd shaped items. Items like the crockpot, long bread trays, small appliances that are not used regularly, all kinds of misc. items, and the dog food.

I put smaller food items in upper cabinets or top drawers. Pots and pans are kept in drawers.

What sold me on this idea on no lazy susan was in a kitchen showroom the salesperson gave me pots and pans and let me pretend to work in the kitchen. Also anyone I know who has a lazy susan it seems like things fall off and are a PITA to retrieve.

Upper corner is an easy reach.

• itsallaboutthefood
    10 years ago

With a supersusan, the turntable sits on a shelf. If things fall off, then simply fall onto the shelf and it's not a big deal to retrieve. But I haven't really had a problem with anything falling off.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

So worth it on the bottom! I put large things in mine, some of which I use all the time and others only occasionally.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Years ago I had one of the lazy susans (I think before they invented he "super susan" shown above) on a pole -- I didn't like it at all, however, I still thought it better than static corner shelves. If I had had a super susan, I'm sure I would have loved it. What's not to like?

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

I especially love my super susans. The contents of my upper cabinet supersusans have changed, but they hold a huge amount.

Here is a link to how we retrofitted the super susans into my upper cabinets. The uppers are 15" deep, the door is angled, and the distance from door to back corner is around 27" It holds a ton and EVERY is accessible.

I especially like that the shelves are adjustable and I can change them up and down to maximize storage. I really waste very little space in this cabinet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Upper cabinet super susans

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 16:07

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

The super susans in my lower cabinets do not fit as well as those in the uppers. There is about 1 1/2" waste space between the susans and the walls of the adjoining cabinets. I use this space to store cutting boards, cookie sheets and 2-burner stovetop grill.

Here you can see the cookie sheets and cutting boards pulled forward. Usually they sit back behind the hinges. There is no problem at all with them falling over. Notice that some are also stored UNDER the rotating susans.

These shelves are so heavy and large I cannot readjust them vertically as I can those in the uppers. But they hold a ton:
    a sous vide supreme, a large mixer, a waffle maker, a food processor, a vacuum sealer, a half-gallon bottle of cooking oil, and a Nesco roaster-oven, as well as all of the cookie sheets and cutting boards you see spread out on below come to mind:

(I apologize for the "patina" on some of these. They have been heavily used for a long time.)

To sum up: I do not have any other storage spaces that have been made so manageable by an innovation as the upper and lower cabinets in this corner. I strongly recommend supersusans. Everything in them is easily accessible with no squatting down or reaching far inwards.

Edited to add: As itsallaboutthefood said, I have NEVER ONCE had anything fall off a supersusan, which rests on a full-sized shelf. My old lazy susan with a center pole was a pain: things fell off and eventually the shelves collapsed downward into a pile. Hated it!!

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 20:12

• Brandywine72
    10 years ago

I adore my base cabinet lazy susan. I have lived in two houses with them; neither had I installed myself. I have been very glad for them. They store a ton. On mine I currently have:

Salad spinner
    Cuisine art
    Glass nesting bowls
    Oodles of glass storage containers
    Tons of sieves and strainers
    9 random metal bowls
    Blender - base and pitcher

The one I have has no pole in the middle. I adore it. Can I say one more time how much I love it? There is no way I could have fit this much stuff in a set of drawers.

• frmrswife
    10 years ago

I like my upper lazy susan, actually. I have all of my baking supplies on it and things I don't use all that often on the top. i have a lazy susan on the bottom i hate, but i think a super susan would be better.

• a2gemini
    10 years ago

I have a lower SuperSusan and store lots of large vessels in it. I also have my colanders and some large pottery items that just don't fit anywhere else.
    I also use the back of the SS to store thermal mugs in the corners that we don't use very often. I used to store them in the pantry or an upper shelf but needed the space - so they are hidden. I keep the items we use all of the time in their respective home but I have extras that I should just get rid of - and then I need them...

On my uppers - I do have a corner cabinet. The two lower shelves are open and I can reach all items.
    The 2 upper shelves are trickier - I put in an after market cheapo turntable (lazy susan but no pole) - not perfect but it works.

Some day, I might build in a true SuperSusan into the 2 upper shelves.

Upper (Ignore plastic serving dish that is tipped - no longer in there)

Close up of the Copco Susan

Lower Susan - lots has moved since I put this in here

Here are my hidden thermal mugs etc LOL

This post was edited by a2gemini on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 9:13

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

Recently I visited a friend's new kitchen. The builder-grade cabinets included two corner cabinets and no susans. The lower two corner cabinets each had one fixed shelf about 15" wide in an L shape. The whole cabinet was THE most frustrating useless space I can imagine. Hands and knees time to get anything out. And so little would fit in. Two cubes of space, maybe 20 or so cubic feet each, of prime storage useless in a kitchen where storage was at a premium.

I can understand why some people who have plenty of storage space just wall off corners and forget them.

The upper cabinets were not so bad. Again, the shelves were fixed and could not be adjusted. No susans, of course. Objects on the first shelf and some of the objects on the second shelf could be seen and reached from the floor. Forget about the top shelf. Just useless.

I am so spoiled. I came home more impressed than ever with susans, especially super susans. Obviously, I urge you to consider them.

This post was edited by Bellsmom on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 14:07

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Bellsmom, that is how I feel about my top corner cabinet. It is useless as it has that hidden useless space. Despite my cabinets being builder grade, I love my two lazy susans and want now Super Susans in my new Kitchen.

This kitchen designer I am working with is getting me upset by how he does not leave his designs here so I can make changes and how he has no clue how important things are to me like the other kitchen designer that did not come here to measure. The kitchen designer in 2011 and the kitchen designer earlier before this guy both did not take the time to come here and told me to find an installer to measure but they used my measurements and came up with designs with Super Susans and no blind cabinets.

If this designer would have not taken 6 weeks to give me a print-out when he came back with an installer and IF he would have left it here for me to look over and make changes instead of finally mailing it to me when he saw he lost the sale, I would have ordered my kitchen already with the many changes that I wanted. The installer was quick in getting me an estimate as he works independently and he is the one that called the kitchen designer that is only selling the cabinets about how unhappy I was and then the Shiloh price increase was able to be moved up again when he knew he did not have the sale.

He finally drops off two sample doors in two of the white colors on Saturday when I had a client here but no changes yet in the blueprint with the 1 hour phone call to him Friday night about how he is not doing what I want and the many changes I need that makes his original design useless.

I am now thinking of waiting until after tax season despite the price increase to be sure I get what I want. I may need to deal with a kitchen designer that realizes I am not going anywhere and to not hide anything so we can work on getting me a kitchen that I will love and not one that he thinks is good.

He is again pressuring me to decide by Monday again or the price goes up as he got a special with a discount place he deals with to lock in the Shiloh price before the increase.

I still have not picked out my counter and that matters with what color cabinet I want as it needs to tie in with the counter and the floor tiles I bought already. The counters I thought I wanted to go with at the end of 2011 may not be right as my taste has been changing and I see that the floor and cabinets and counter needs to all tie together.

Your post makes me realize that I am changing my cabinets not just for looks but for space and usability and I need to do it right.

My client arrived so I have to read this edited post over to see if it makes sense. I did not sleep last night and I am having dental pain. I want to love my kitchen and I want it to function much better than it does now.

This post was edited by lynn2006 on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 12:16

• bellsmom
    10 years ago

lynn2006
    I don't want to hijack this thread, but it sounds like you are being held hostage by your designer.

I STRONGLY urge you to start a new thread, give the facts you gave above, and ask for advice.

There are many here who can help you evaluate your choices.

You are in charge.

• susanlynn2012
    10 years ago

Bellsmom, I think you are right, I will start a separate post after my client leaves. Thank you!

• feisty68
    10 years ago

I'm planning a setup like suzannesl's and looking forward to actually USING that space. My current base corner cabinet is almost unusable for 3 reasons:
    - located beside range, which sticks out a bit hampering door opening
    - door opening is too small to get into cabinet or put larger items in
    - lazy susan is pole-style and undersized

My advice if you have a crummy base corner cabinet, is to store Christmas decorations or emergency supplies there.

My upper corner cabinet isn't as bad. I use 3 small lazy susans to organize oils/vinegars/liquid ingredients on the bottom shelf.

This post was edited by feisty68 on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 12:39