Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Finally deciding on lights. Opinions? Photoshop help?

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

Four months after finishing the kitchen, I'm finally close to deciding on lights.

Here is my nearly finished kitchen. I love it, but I think I went a bit too contemporary on myself. I do love the clean lines but I'm somewhat wishing I'd softened a few details. I've already changed out the pulls (at least on the uppers; I'm waiting on long screws so I can do my drawers). Another small regret is that I wish I'd done a wood vent hood rather than the stainless. Maybe this is just because I haven't put in anything at all that softens the look - no fabric or decorative details at all.

That said, I'm not wanting the lighting to be as aggressively contemporary as the space could handle; I'm wanting a transitional look.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is the pendant I'm thinking about. I would have 2 over the island.

{{!gwi}}

This would be for over the table:

{{!gwi}}

And for the dining room

{{!gwi}}

If anyone feels like photoshopping these into my pics, you would be earning loads of digital karma!

Anita

Comments (19)

• Fori
    15 years ago

These will all look great, but the first two are definitely contemporary, especially the second. If you think you went too contemporary, the lighting is a good place to soften it.

I'd skip the second and put the 3rd over the table instead--maybe there's a smaller version so you could use it in two places? The pendants will look transitional with fixture 3, but modern with fixture 2.

And put a plant or ceramic pig on your hood. Instant soft!

• victoriajane
    15 years ago

I love the third one as well. And fwiw, I love that style of hood!

• auchmedden
    15 years ago

I love the pendant and think it will be perfect over your island. I also think that the second light is too contemporary for a transitional look. I am torn about the chandelier. I like it, but it seems out of sort with the rest of your kitchen. I know it is going in the dining room, but it strikes me as too different. Do you have a picture of your dining room and how it meets the kitchen?

Sorry I don't know how to photoshop. I need to learn.

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

A softer option for the kitchen table light?

{{!gwi}}

Anita

• sprengle1
    15 years ago

I love the chandelier and agree that the second fixture looks contemporary.

I like the fixture nomorebluekitchen has posted for there!

• lyno
    15 years ago

Anita - I downloaded your pictures and have them ready (sort of) to post, but photobucket isn't cooperating so that I can upload the altered pictures. I have to warn you these pictures are pretty small. I'll check photobucket in a bit to see if it is ready to cooperate.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

Altho I like the pendant, it might be too dinky in real life. Does it have a multi-light version? Can you post the link to its specs?

The second kitchen table fixture appears modern because of the rail form of the lights. Could you be talked into a rail fixture instead of the pendants over the island and a mini chandy over the table?

• aiallega
    15 years ago

Anita, I love love love that DR chandelier! I am also looking for some new lighting--would you mind sharing where you found it? Thank you. Amy

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Anita, I *love* your kitchen!!! Love the cabinets, love the soapstone, *love* the backsplash (as does everyone on GW). I don't feel you went too contemporary on it at all. I think of "too contemporary" as cold, and your kitchen exudes warmth and elegance. I want to *live* in your kitchen (and I say this as someone who is currently enamored of her own not-quite-finished kitchen ;-)).

That said, I agree that lighting and window treatments, and even countertop accessories, will do a lot to "fix up" the look for you. For example, I got a ceramic utensil crock in a pale yellow with burgundy flowers rather than the generic-looking SS ones I kept seeing in BB&B. I think it does a lot to soften up my space. (My kitchen is so tiny that a single utensil crock can do that for me - your kitchen might take a bit more. LOL!)

As for the light fixtures - I like the pendants - I think they can go either way, transitional or contemporary. I think the fixture for over the table is definitely contemporary (though pretty). The dining room fixture is a little over-the-top the other way - to my taste, at least. I like things that have simpler lines, and I think a simpler line would go better with your kitchen. I do believe you can find something simpler that would still soften the look for you - just something with a curve in it would do that, without having to be overly ornate.

Hope I haven't offended you since I know you like that chandelier. It's JMHO. :-)

• lyno
    15 years ago

Anita - your pictures were pretty small and I had to guess on the size of the lights, I hope you I got them somewhere near the right size. Do you have any pictures of your kitchen from the other side of the room, so the windows were to the back of the photographer? That might work better. These lights are very light in color and with your great windows your kitchen is fairly bright.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is using one of your pictures I used a few months ago.
    {{!gwi}}

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lyno, thanks! You are awesome to help again.

Charlikin, no offense taken! I generally am the queen of clean lines and I'm struggling with the DR fixture because I want it to strike a perfect balance between a bunch of incompatible things. And worst of all, I don't really know what I want :)

Luvscritters, the dining room chandelier is from Corbett Lighting and is item # 86-06, six light chandelier. The photo is hard to judge, but the shades are stunning in person.

And thanks for the input from everyone.

Anita

• aiallega
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info!

• ehaberlin
    15 years ago

I love the island pendants as well and wondered if you could share where those are from. They're gorgeous!

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

OK, I can't believe omagpie me is saying this but I know what it is about the DR chandy that I don't like - it's the prisms/crystals. They are like "gilding the lily" of an otherwise beautiful fixture. Love the way it echoes the shape/style of the pendant lights without being too matchy.

• john90505
    15 years ago

Excellent choices, great kitchen. I really can't add much to discussion on lights (I like them all).....

if you could let us know what you used as a backsplash, would appreciate....

Thank you!

• danielle00
    15 years ago

no help on the lights, but I don't think your kitchen is too contemporary-- I think it is a great blend.. the stained wood and soapstone are really traditional. I agree that the hood is modern looking, but your kitchen looks functional and beautiful at the same time. I just love it. I wouldn't worry about changing its overall look... I think it is perfect the way it is!

good luck choosing a light.

• megradek
    15 years ago

Hmmm, if I stumble upon anything that might work, I'll let you know. but I really have nothing to contribute right now, only to say that I always love seeing your kitchen - it's just so pretty!

• nomorebluekitchen
    Original Author
    15 years ago

HI, John90505. My backsplash is ming green marble in 2x12. Ming green is also known by some suppliers as jade. Thanks for the compliment; the backsplash is my very favorite visual element in the kitchen.

ehaberlin, the pendants are by Troy Lighting, Arcadia Collection, Item # F1719R. They're even better in person than in the photo.

Thanks for the encouragement about the kitchen overall. I think it must have some post-kitchen remodel regret syndrome where you see all the other kitchens and assume you'd be happier if only you'd gone with something different than you really did. (Otherwise known as buyer's remorse, I guess.)

Anita

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

Anita,

All I can add is that I have full confidence in your ability to pick your lights because everything else is perfect. Your kitchen has such great flow and balance. The colors, textures, finishes all work together to make a fantastic kitchen! You do have a good size island and I would make sure that if you are doing 2 pendants that your pendant width dimension is wide enough. I love the style though!