Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
err on the side of too wide or too narrow for pulls?

Posted by ncdel (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 19:53

I have been looking at pulls & knobs for what feels like forever & just decided on Schaub Siena finally and ordered samples to figure out what size on which drawers...
BUT I have discovered they only come in 4 inch or 8 inch. I have a few drawers that are about 16" wide. I'm stuck- the 4 inch looks really itty bitty on there and the 8 inch seems like it could be overpowering but I still lean toward the 8 b/c the 4 just looks so small.

Another option was doing an oval knob instead of a pull on those drawers...they are symmetrical (one on either side of my stove/cooktop in the kitchen and one on either side of the sink in the basement wet bar)... might mix it up a little I guess but the cabinets below those drawers will have round knobs.

Thoughts???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: err on the side of too wide or too narrow for pulls?

See my picture below. The drawers in that picture are 19.5" across from inset edge to edge and I used (1) 4 inch pull on each. Feels fine and looks good IRL. I think 4" would be too big.

photo kitchendraftafterphoto.jpg

I doubled them up for a wider drawer (30 inches wide)

photo backsplashgrouted4.jpg

<

o

How do the 4" pulls FEEL in your hand? I have a few of that size and find them pretty small. I'm not sure I'd want them all over my kitchen. My 6" and 8" pulls are much easier to use. YMMV.

o

YMMV=?

o

My kitchen has a more contemporary vibe so I went with various sizes of pulls on all my cabinets and drawers. I love having wider pulls so easy to get any size hand around them. Just to help you visualize here are a couple pictures of my pulls.
This first picture is a 6-1/2 inch pull on a 13 inch drawer:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Here is a 10 inch pull on a 18 inch drawer:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

This post was edited by badgergal on Mon, Feb 4, 13 at 21:14

o

Your mileage may vary

My advice is definitely to err on the side of too narrow. And, I don't think 4" is too narrow, certainly not for a 16" drawer.

o

YMMV=Your Mileage May Vary

o

The drawer stack next to my fridge is 16" and the pull is 5 1/2". The Siena is actually 3 3/4", but I would go with that before I'd use an 8".

o

Thanks all...I ended up deciding to do an oval knob on both those drawers, thought it made things a little more interesting and solved my debate b/c I was just not loving the smaller pull on there. I agree the small ones are too small... I'm only using them on 4 narrow drawers on my island & using the oval knob on the top drawer of each 3 drawer stack so that will be sort of consistent anyway.

o

I think big pulls give a more contemporary look although Schaub Siena is very traditional.

This post was edited by lilymila on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 1:05

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here