Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Backsplash and soapstone question-AGAIN

sis2two
14 years ago

Guys, I have been staring at an ugly, unfinished bright blue backer board for 3 months and it is really bugging me. I was pretty set on doing the creamy crackle subway tile by sonoma because I think it is beautiful tile but am now wondering if if it will be too stark given my cabinet combination.(stained maple upper and dark green bottom) I have the black soapstone with white veining. A friend mentioned that she thought a stone backsplash would look better and not be too stark. My walls are almost a peanut butter/caramel color with white wainscotting.(farmhouse-look). Didn't mean to go on so long. If I go with stone, should I match it up with the white veining or can I go in the light tan family? May you be blessed if you are still reading this long post. Please offer any suggestions.

Comments (17)

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Grazia Rixi tile either in Mandorla (creamy crackle with a slight greenish tint toward the ends) or Agata (more green) Check out roulie's kitchen in a link about this tile: Here's an overall pic of what they offer:

Here is a link that might be useful: roulie's kitchen

• sis2two
    Original Author
    14 years ago

remodelfla--thanks for answering my post. You have been the only one thus far. Currently the crackle tile is what I am leaning towards.

• Gena Hooper
    14 years ago

It's hard to say without seeing the choices. I'd make sure that your backsplash is a warm, definite cream, and not a cooler color. I had natural maple cabinets with a travertine-colored tile backsplash in my previous house. I felt there wasn't enough contrast between the cabs and the backsplash for my taste. Good luck!

• cawfeegirl
    14 years ago

Can you post pics so we may be able to offer suggestions?

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Here's a thread with some nice pics of the Rixi tile. Also do a search for prill's kitchen. She has white cabs, soapstone that is to die for, and the Rixi tile. Looks amazing...

Here is a link that might be useful: rixi tile

• prill
    14 years ago

Hi sis... Do you have a picture of your kitchen? I did look at and LOVE the rixi tiles, but didn't end up getting them. I ended up with a WInchester tile called sudbury. I really wanted the rixi reef, but the samples I saw had too much variation in the color.

Here is a link that might be useful: Winchester tile

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Whoops... sorry prill. I must be dazed and confused!

• sis2two
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all who responded. I will try to post pics tomorrow. Try to block out the ugly backer board when I do. It is really hard for me to visualize anything with that royal blue behind my countertops.

• trailrunner
    14 years ago

did you see my answer on the other thread as to the color in my kitchen? If not here it is....Thyme, an Olympic color from Lowes, made up in BM regal Matte to be scrubbable as I don't have a tile backsplash. Have you thought of just painting? I love the look and you can easily change it . c

• sis2two
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Trailrunner-Yes I did get your answer and thank you. Believe me, if I didn't have that blue backer board, I would paint it. However that can't really be painted. I am getting ready to post pics so hopefully you guys can help me.

• sis2two
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are photos of my soapstone. I need help selecting a backsplash. I don't want to use green as I want to stay neutral. Any suggestions would be appreciated. {{!gwi}} {{!gwi}} {{!gwi}}

• sis2two
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bump

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Creamy crackle subways with soapstone is a classic -- least I think so.
    Of course, that's what I have... (WZ Gramercy Park in Bone China)

• inthehollow
    14 years ago

What if you continued your wainscoat around to the backsplash as well? It looks from your last picture that your wainscoat is about 4" higher than your countertop. You could continue the top edge on it, too. I think it would look great since you already have it in the rest of the room. You would still have to paint above it, though.

Your soapstone looks beautiful!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I would like to see a crackle that referenced the maple color of the upper cabinets so as to not introduce another distinct band of color. It doesn't have to "match" the maple but something in that warm tone, kinda like the wallcolor.

(I know you didn't ask, but I would consider painting the beadboard wainscotting the green of the lower cabinets, --or the same as the wall color and allow it to either "go with" the cabinetry, or recede to a texture and allow that cabinetry and soapstone to be the real focal point.)

• sis2two
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all those who responded to my post. Although I am leaning towards the crackle tile I also really like the tumbled stone but am unsure whether that would look okay in my kitchen. What do you think? Palimpsest, I understand what you mean about using more of a warm tone. I would consider painting the wainscotting if it had not been painted recently. I really do appreciate any advice and if anyone knows of a specific color let me know. In the crackle I am looking at sonoma and walker zanger. Thank you.