Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mysterymachine_gw

'Soft Close' cabinets?

mysterymachine
16 years ago

I know I have seen this on this forum before but I can't find it now.

Our kitchen is directly below our bedroom and I have found that the sound of the closing cabinet doors (not drawers - our drawers already have the soft close) will wake up whomever has the later work schedule that day.

Any suggestions? The little felt stick on pads don't really help much.

Comments (16)

• beware
    16 years ago

I think you are talking about what is known as blumotion. Do a search and you should see some posts on this.

• mysterymachine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Tons of threads on blumotion - they seem to all be about drawers though.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

If you have Blum hinges on your cab doors--Blum makes tons of soft-close clips for their different hinges. Our 110 degree opening hinges took smaller ones than our 170 degree hinges for example. Go to the Blum website and you'll find all of them.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

Don't have them, but do know there are soft-close doors. AND, our kitchen people are going to source out better plastic/rubber pads for the doors for us (ours are falling off).

I know there have been problems with the search function recently on this forum, so try googling it (you may also get the GW posts coming up through Google).

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Blum also makes a 'piston' type soft close that can be used with [almost] any cabinet. The self-close of the cab hinge just has to be strong enough to compress it.

They aren't terribly pricey, I'd think it would definetly be worth trying...

• mnhockeymom
    16 years ago

We have the blum soft close hinges on all of our cabinets and we LOVE them - I'm a big "door slammer" when I'm mad and the only drawback to these hinges is that I have to find something else to slam now ;-)

• rgillman
    16 years ago

I had never heard of soft-close doors (only the drawers) till I ordered my Adelphi cabinets and discovered that they come standard that way. Like mnhockeymom, I'll have to find another way to vent my frustrations - LOL.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I did the blum soft close on our cabinet doors after a year with a sick baby who didn't sleep. Our kitchen is below the master and every sound made me nuts (I also soundproofed the floor, ceiling, walls and doors but that might have been overkill due to lack of sleep). No slamming doors :) That is heaven!

YOu should have seen me "interviewing" appliance doors! If I heard the old trash compactor close one more time my darling husband's head would have been stuffed in it....

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

I should be a salesperson for this product. This is a great product, and I can't speak highly enough about them. I tell everyone I know about these because they are just that great to have. This is a Blum product that can be used on ANY kind of cabinet door. We have them on all our doors. With these, you just can't slam a door.

They are so easy to install. Here's the website where you can get there. Click on the little cabinet photo to supersize on the link below.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soft close for doors

• mysterymachine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks debi - I will order a handful for the most used cabinets (like the pantry and the dish cupboard) and see how well they work.

igloochic... soundproofing sounds like a lot of work but it must be nice now that its done.

raynag - Yikes my kitchen is still so new that I can't imagine slamming the doors out of anger - I just know with my luck the door would break off or something and then I would never hear the end of it :)

• mysterymachine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hmmm the picture in that link looks like a framed cab... do they work on frameless?

• debo_2006
    16 years ago

Not sure if they will work with frameless as I'm not familiar with them, but you can always call the place and find out. Better yet, you can also go to the Blum website and call them directly since they make the soft close.

• mysterymachine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yeah - thanks... the blum website has a PDF with all kinds of diagrams - still I don't understand all the different offsets and stuff - I'll have to study the PDF tonight. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I was hoping there was something cheaper but we'll see. It will be a lot more doable if I just do the main offenders now and slowly buy more.

Here is a link that might be useful: blum website PDF with all types of blumotion for doors

• Buehl
    16 years ago

On a previous post, it was mentioned that in order to retrofit soft-close hardware (like Blumotion), the hinges on your cabinet doors must be "self-closing."

So, if they're not, I assume you must first replace all the hinges on your doors w/self-closing ones...is this correct?

• mysterymachine
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What I ended up doing is figuring out what hinges I had (sneaky cabinet company but their own nameplate over them but I removed the name plate and saw who REALLY made the hinges). I then went to their webpage (brand was Hettich) and found my model and ... tada!... guess what they have an optional soft close for their hinges that simply snaps on - AND I found them online for only $2.50 a peice! (much cheaper than blumotion and since they snap on no screws or anything).

So I am super happy for now - I'll update the thread in a week or so when I get them and try em out. Also happy becuase I got my year end bonus today and its enough to pay off the last payment on the remodel. I don't know about everyone else but finances got really tight at the end of the remodel!

• chall5
    14 years ago

Hi, where are these available online for $2.50 please

thanks