Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovinlife11

Looking for granite (not black) to complement Calacatta Oro

lovinlife11
13 years ago

I'm looking for granite suggestions to put on my perimeter countertops that will coordinate with a large island using Calacatta Oro. I do not want black. The cabinetry will be a creamy glazed finish on the perimeter, and the island will be a very dark stained wood with the marble on top. I like delicatus, typhoon bordeaux, and mombasa, but cant decide and am open to anything. Please help! Pictures would be awesome.

Comments (13)

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

I'd maybe add the right slab of Yellow River to the mix

• cienza
    13 years ago

How about golden typhoon? It is similar to typhoon bordeaux, but less burgandy and more honey brown & black with greys. The bordeaux is more feminine in my opinion, and the golden a bit more masculine. Depends on the look you're going for. Depending on the slab, and veining in your calacatta oro, the warm tones may compliment nicely. The mombasa looks a bit dark to me; I wouldn't want to distract from that marble. It's classic!

• seabass1954
    13 years ago

costa smeralda , polished or leather finish ,marble and granite next each other not the best looking , costa is a quarzite with marble appeal.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I think the granites you mentioned would be great.
    Here are a few other ideas in the thumb size and below
    that are kitchens with dark islands. I wish I had
    exactly what you are looking for. (Cream, Calcatta Oro,
    and a dark island) I will keep searching.
    meanwhile hth.
    ~boxer

TB

Apollo Storm

Sage Brush

Giallo Granite on a cream perimeter

Costa Esmeralda

I know this one is the island but notice the CE is pretty

Solarius

Golden Lace

• trailgirl
    13 years ago

Not sure if I should start a new thread, but Seabass 1954, can you comment further on Costa Esmerelda being a quartzite rather than a granite?

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

I used a river wash granite, sea foam, on the perimeter and calacatta on the island. the river wash is similar to a leathered finish - maybe a little smoother and not at all shiney. In fact, I didn't like sea foam at all until I saw the river wash finish. It is very earthy looking with the predominant color being a very neutral green with carmel, grey, with a bit of black. In a way it looks like I carved a chunk of rock out and set it on the perimeter - oh wait .... I did. It is not too dark, but rather a neutral contrast to the marble. I originally didn't want green, or even granite, but my husband didn't like the idea of soapstone as he thought it was too dark. I had the hardest time figuring out what to do as I loved my marble slab!! I'm really happy with it, and I know you will find a granite that you love too!

• lucypwd
    13 years ago

Oh, and I forgot to add, I used neutral glass tiles as the backsplash, all the way up the wall. I think pickiing the backsplash was the hardest decision. I love the glass tile up the wall - it changes color depending on the lighting.

• lovinlife11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your comments. I'm new to Garden Web and didn't realize there was feedback already. So busy with all the decisions of building the new home........... I'll look into the river wash granite. I saw a typhoon bordeaux in a suede finish that was gorgeous. It might be the same technique. I really like sea foam and want to use it somewhere. Also, thank you boxerpups (BTW, I have a Boxer,too!) Those are beautiful photos and I love your examples. Am I crazy to use two different surfaces? Many of your photos are just the look I'm going for, but they use the same countertops everywhere. I'm heading to the slab showroom tomorrow!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hooray a Boxer fan!
    Not crazy at all to do 2 different sufaces.
    Here are a few more that I thought might inspire you.
    ~boxer

Pompeii granite

Juparana Cappaccino

Typhoon Green

• marble_com
    13 years ago

How about Crema Bordeaux? The rich veining would compliment Calacatta marble beautifully.

• lovinlife11
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Boxerpups, where do you find all these gorgeous pictures? I really like pompeii. I'm also researching soapstone. I've got to get this settled soon.

• Henley
    13 years ago

I would go with something very simple, which won't compete with the marble. How about a pure white or off white Caesarstone or Silestone, if you're open to something other than granite. These seem to be very low maintenance, which is a plus.

• virtualwarehouse
    12 years ago

All the above.
    Just choose what you really like, you will see for long time

Here is a link that might be useful: Virtualwarehouse