Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cottonpenny_gw

critique my layout, please?

cottonpenny
12 years ago

This is the first draft from our KD. I'm not sure about a few things, but what do you think?

Layout:

Elevations:

First floor layout:

Comments (9)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I think I would want my MW by the frig and the mixer by the ovens. You'd have a nicer space for baking with the island and 30" cab by the ovens. I don't know about you...but I spread out when I bake.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Your houseplan for the kitchen and the kitchen plan that you posted first don't match - which is correct?

I'm going to assume that the first plans that you posted are correct so - is this a one cook or two cook kitchen?
    Points to note-

- there is no landing space for taking something out of the oven, you are closest to a fridge or the prep sink and neither of those will do the job.

- the DW drawer and the MW drawer are opening into the same aisle space so you will have to decide whether or not that will work for you. How much do you use the MW? Could it go over by the fridge instead?

- the pull-out trash will open into the butt of whoever is cooking at the range.

- the double ovens are opening into a doorway (Butler pantry?) which isn't very safe, perhaps they should go by the fridge and the MW goes ?.

What is the aisle width between the island and the fridge? An aisle width of 4' should be enough. (It looks like it might be wider than that and if so I would narrow it up to 4')

This is a very pretty symmetrical kitchen that needs improvement on it's function. IMO.

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

Remodelfa - I honestly don't bake that much...so I am actually thinking of just converting that area into a coffee bar (30" drawer underneath and mugs up above). And put the mixer away in the pantry and take it out onto the island if I decide to bake.

blfenton - the kitchen plans are correct - the kitchen design in the floor plans was just roughed out by the architect without much thought. these new ones are the KD plans. It's mostly a one cook kitchen (DH doesn't cook) but I have a 6 month old son who I have hopes will cook with me some day...:-)

Good idea to move the MW next to the fridge. I will think about that.

Is it better for the trash or the DW to open into the butt of the person cooking at the range? I had reversed them figuring it wouldn't be good to trip over the DW.

I don't think the door to the butler's pantry will be high traffic...is it still a big problem?

The aisle width from counter to counter is 54" but I think the KD is drawing a full-depth fridge so the clearance from that would be 48". If we went counter depth it would be more. I'm considering having the cabinet pulled out to 30" deep so that the fridge wouldn't stick out, but will have to check how that will effect the pantry.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

I like your layout and think it works well. The only thing I would change that is different from what has already been said is I would get rid of the prep sink by the oven. IMO it's taking up valuable counter space & is so close to the main sink, it seems a waste. On the oven placement, ours are similarly placed and we haven't had any issues. I agree with the DW on the right of the sink and the trash to the left. On the fridge you can always recess it back into the wall and gain a few extra inches and/or pull the counter forward that is to the right of it to make them line up better.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

Where do you plan on doing prep work? If it's on the island to the left of the sink then one option is to switch the pull-out trash and the bank of drawers. If you're cutting up vegies, or getting rid of any waste it is just as easy to open the pull-out trash beside you rather than in front of you and so avoiding the person at the range. Just a thought. I too wonder about the usefulness of the prep sink in its current location. What is your plan for it?

I agree, the traffic into the butler pantry will probably not be high.

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks!

The prep sink is to save my marriage...jk ;)

DH often leaves dishes in the sink and I'm sure DS will too once he gets old enough. So I wanted a prep sink to wash veggies while the other sink is dirty. My mom has 2 sinks and really likes it.

I actually wanted to use the Ticor sink that beekeeperswife posted that is like the Kohler stages. But it needs a 33" cabinet. Is it crazy to lose another 6" of cabinets on that wall? How much room is ideal between sink and range? If I did the Ticor, it would only be 27" if I made it symmetrical...

• cottonpenny
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Annotated to show what each cabinet used for...I don't think I missed anything, did I? Stemware and bar stuff will go in butler's pantry. Mixer/bread machine/crock pot in pantry. Large tall stock pot in pantry. I took bfenton's advice and moved micro to next to fridge...replaced with a regular base cab for my food processor and rice cooker.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I think the idea of a prep sink is great. I have one and use it everyday for a number of things. The criticisms that you might get having it in the corner is banging your elbows/arms when working, no trash for your prep garbage and no landing area for your double ovens. Perhaps just consider these things and if you have options for them great. My prep sink is 16" square and is a good size. 18" would have been a little better but ....

• taggie
    12 years ago

I like your plan a lot.

I would definitely switch the trash and bank of drawers though, like blfenton says. The space will be much more functional if people at the coffee machine or microwave can turn around and access the trash without making you move from the prep space over top of it. Otherwise you risk them leaving their garbage on the counter by the fridge "so as not to disturb you" or some such other goofy excuse. :-) Our trash/recycle is at the edge of the island and it's the best decision I ever made.