Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
schecht3

Would you sacrifice cherry for oak to get the door style you want

schecht3
11 years ago

Builder supplies debut cabinets. We have selected a Cabernet finish with a sable (black) pencil glaze. If we want cherry, the door style is not full overlay and has a slab drawer...2 things I do not like.

If we select oak, I can have the door style I want.

Keep in mind this is not quarter sawn or straight grain oak...this is basic builders grade.

Of the 2 choices above....what would you do?

Comments (17)

• juliekcmo
    11 years ago

cherry

• sanjuangirl
    11 years ago

Expand my search parameters!

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

It would depend upon how it looked in the finish I wanted,

• Fori
    11 years ago

Would you be doing the oak in the same dark glazed finish (which is almost a waste of cherry!)? Cuz oak can look really good stained dark.

• cawaps
    11 years ago

I'll second both sanjuangirl's and palimpsest's comments.

But--without having seen how oak looks in cabernet, mind you--I'm guessing I would go with the oak. I think the darker stain would differentiate your cabs from the dreaded golden oak builders' cabs of the 90s, as would the fact that you would be getting full overlay (and not cathedral arch, I hope--sorry my bias is showing). I also think that the oak grain would be less noticeable with the darker stain.

But that's all a guess. I looked on the Debut website but couldn't get a full door pic of the wood/stain combos.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

Oh for sure Cherry!

• taggie
    11 years ago

Cherry.

• boymom23
    11 years ago

Uhm, no. I would not sacrifice the cherry for oak. Ever...

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Let's phrase the question differently

"Would you select a door style you didn't like because it was available in a finish you wanted?"

Would the answers be so dogmatic then? This "cherry is always King and Oak is always crap" Dogma that everyone chants is annoying.

• gr8daygw
    11 years ago

When we built our house we told the builder we wanted to use different cabinet people rather than his spec house sub who had a really awful reputation. I was so pleased we could do that. I know some won't let you but if that is an option it might be worth a look. Good luck!

• phoggie
    11 years ago

No...but that is my opinion.

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I would look elsewhere for cabs.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

what door style for the oak? i happen to like natural white oak, but it actually can be pricey as well. if you are doing a dark brown stain, then oak actually looks really good that way.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

I'd go with the style I like rather than worry about the type of wood it is. Oak seems to take dark stain very nicely.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Personally, I never understood why people would upgrade to cherry to paint it or stain it so dark that it no longer looked like cherry. Keep in mind that I am a fan of woods natural glory. If going elsewhere to get exactly what I wanted was not an option; then I'd go for the oak.

• localeater
    11 years ago

The stain looks very dark and so I wouldn't have a problem with the oak.
    I would double check the info you are getting though. I looked at their product quick reference PDF on their website and the 4 or 5 door styles that are 1/2 overlay are the same for cherry and oak.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Filling oak pores seems to be a thing of the past.

Unfilled oak looks like what it is, cheap.

Cheery does not require filing to produce a flat surface.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource