Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need help with Backsplash

Posted by rsponholtz (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 19:36

Hi everyone,
After initially ordering backsplash tile that is too dark, I need to choose something else! Could you give me suggestions for tile in my newly rebuilt kitchen (pic attached)?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need help with Backsplash

What color are the cabinets? It's hard to tell from the pic.

o

What paint color are you going with? I like the clean look of white with dark..so I'd probably go with a white subway tile maybe add an accent glass piece. For fun a pre-made glass mixture small squares, or a square rectangle combo.

o

Sure.

Given no information on budget, style (modern, classic) color, or material preference, you can do almost anything.

Marble:

Glass:

Shell:

Mixed Materials:

Textural, 3D:

Handmade:

o

Ok, I guess a little more info would help :-)

My house is from the '50s, and I'm trying to keep it a bit 'transitional', although my personal tastes lean towards modern. The cabinets are pecan wood with a black stain, and I'm planning a very light grey paint with white trim for the non-tiled areas.

Anyway, I've got about 30 square feet of wall space and would like to keep the backsplash under about $1500, so about $50 / sq ft max.

Also, I'm leaning towards glass tiles, eg these:

This post was edited by rsponholtz on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 9:20

o

Of the two that you posted, I'd vote for the first ... subtle and doesn't detract from the rest of the kitchen. In the second picture, my eyes are so drawn to the backsplash that it's hard to look at anything else. I do love Oceanside tile, though!

o

Transitional?

Why don't you look at some of that cook bubble-ish geometric tile as an accent across the bottoms or tops of the counter/cabinets, with something shiny for the field tile?

I'm seriously not a fan of those patterns, but the ones demonstrated above made me say, "yeah! That would be so cool!"

You've got a neat kitchen happening.

o

Crushed Ice Mini Brick from the tile shop. I LOVE mini bricks :)

o

Love the first inspiration picture you posted with the glass tiles.

o

Yep first inspiration, but I think I'd go a bit larger on the tile size.

o

Oh gosh, no. If you love those tiles, then get them but I don't find that beautiful at all, and all the other choices you've made are impeccable.

Have you considered sheet glass? Very modern and clean looking, and no grout. The image below is from Dreamwalls.

Another option, visually stunning, would be large format stone or ceramic tile.

o

Just to expand on the "Oh no" comment (sorry, I was tired), the tile you are considering has a very cool coloration, whereas your black-stained wood has warmth in it still. They clash. They even clash in the ad image (which is not your doing...) but if you love it, enjoy!

o

I'm starting to feel that the thin horizontal glass tiles are already looking dated to me. Not all of them but some of the ubiquitous color combinations are.

o

Thanks everyone for your comments! The backsplash has been the hardest part for me to pick out, especially after getting the wrong tile to start (and paying a 25% restocking fee)..

I've been trying to make the kitchen a bit modern/transitional without over doing it, and since the house was built in '53, maybe a little mid-century modern (although its starting to look a bit "done" imho).
maybe something like this Walker Zanger:

CEFreeman, I ordered a couple of samples of the Cook tile, should be here in a couple of days, thanks for the reference!

EAM44,
I really like the second and third pictures you posted! Maybe tile with a little grey and a bit less tan color. I'll start looking for a source.

gr8day, which do you think are the ubiquitous color combinations?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here