Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jigg_gw

Putting an oven range across the corner-have you seen this done?

jigg
14 years ago

Has anyone here seen or had their oven range span a corner? We will be remodeling a small kitchen within the year and I am changing the layout. I think that putting the oven range across the corner where the two sides meet (L shape kitchen) will make the layout work much better without major electrical or plumbing work. But, it appears that in my internet research that this is not done much since I can not find any information or pictures of this. I know it will take away space in that area, but we will be putting in an island (do not have one now)that will more than make up for it. I have seen pictures here of a cooktop in the corner (Berry's Kitchen remodel), but not a range. Any reasons why this should not be done? Any comments would be appreciated.

Comments (14)

• blessedathome
    14 years ago

Hi Jigg,
    I just happened to be looking at this site yesterday and they have a photo of a kitchen where they put the range in the corner. www.cherrycreekcabinetworks.com is the website. Go to the photo gallery, then to kitchens. It is in the second group of kitchen photos. It is a smallish white kitchen with a tan brick-looking backsplash and granite counters. I hope you are able to find it. Good luck with your kitchen and don't worry about doing something unique, do what works for you!

• amberley
    14 years ago

Check out the link below. It is a new cache of pics on picasa that our neighborhood newsletter is putting together of reno pics in our community of rowhouses. Click on the "db kitchen" and there is a photo showing a corner range.

HTH!

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: picasa/forge flyer

• bmorepanic
    14 years ago

There are a couple of gotcha's to avoid.

You need to get about 33 inches across the opening - that includes a small filler, one for each side so the oven door will open without hitting cabinet handles. The filler is actually a special corner moulding for doing this type of stuff. 33 inches is planning on a 1.5" wide moulding. I have no clue as to where its standard or different cabinet brands use different sizes. Planning on a 33" front, the range would use a minimum of 4 feet of both walls.

The cabinets on both sides of the range will need a bigger piece of filler - like 3-6 inches. Ranges are deeper than cabinets and the oven door must be in front of the cabinetry. It will take a filler that big to have the doors and drawers of adjoining cabinets clear the range handles and oven doors. So far, we've "lost" 4'3" to 4'6" from both sides or it takes AWAY about 28 more cubic feet of base cabinet space plus losing the wall cabinets over the corner.

The last tricky thing is a hood. If you want a micro hood, or a wall hood, you're going to need a wall across the back of the range. Other than a precious few European model hoods that are made for corners, if you don't want the wall, you'll need an island hood. Island hoods start at two to three times as expensive as a wall hood - and they are never under cabinet hoods.

You might think you could install a downdraft, but practically you can't unless you buy a jenn-air range with an inbuilt downdraft. The permitted installations for just about every downdraft forbids installing it with a range. The only exception I know of is a dacor downdraft and the only permitted range installation is with a dacor range.

Next consideration is that the person at the range will block access to the cabinets in the corner - or the other way round where the person using the cabinet or counter blocks access to the range. There isn't a lot that can be done to mitigate this, but it can become worse with a microhood where other family members use it.

Last consideration, you'll face into the corner with nothing to look at.

• dan1888
    14 years ago

The consideration that stops me is access restriction for more than one person to use the work zone. Corner is restrictive especially because using the cooktop takes a lot of time. Frig across the corner has worked for us for 20+ years and the corner space in the back means the frig never dies.

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Several people here have corner ranges/cooktops. But, realize that you will need approx 48" on each wall for a 30" range, more for a wider range.

Check the Finished Kitchens Blog (FKB) for SharB's kitchen, among others.

• live_wire_oak
    14 years ago

It's also a lot harder to squat directly in front of a hot oven to pull out heavy items directly over the HOT door (even those with great slide out racks and properly installed anti tip mechanisms) than it does standing along side an oven and reaching in over the side of the door to pull something out. You'll have to lift that 25 pound turkey up and out of the oven all by yourself. Not enough room to get a helper in there to grab the other side.

• judithn
    14 years ago

I looked into this for my kitchen too and finally nixed it. It just ate up too much space and was impractical for the reasons live wire oak said. My designer kept pushing it on me, he liked the look of it. In the end I got rid of the designer (lost $1200 that I spent on his retainer too!) and found a new one. BTW, my space was not that small (33' x 19) in a combined dining room kitchen but I couldn't see giving up a whole corner that way. The only upside was that I was salivating over the closet I could then build in the room on the rear end of that angled stove. It would have housed china and dining room linens (it was in my dining room). I did go back and forth on the stove placement for a while (after all, he was a sort of locally famous designer) but in the end followed my instincts. So glad I did. Only you know how you work and what you need. Don't let someone talk you into something you're not sure about. The designer moves on, you're stuck with something that doesn't work as well as it might.

• weidiii
    14 years ago

I did. I wouldn't do it if I had more room but it was the solution for MY needs in a very small and odd space and a small budget...I'll go into detail when I eventually post my "Finished Kitchen."

Filler/corner moulding around the range were tricky but the KD knew what to order and my cab installer was very good...I have a perfect fit but I can see how easy it could have messed up. My vent is is a Proline vent that can be vented outside or used "ductless" with replacable charcoal filters. Works well for me. It's big enough for someone to get to the counter, sink and cabs behind me but it's sure a one cook corner (My territory! Drives MIL crazy).

judith, we have the same idea for the closet!, Hoping next year, although it would have been more efficient to do it during construction.

My view is the food but I've got great views all around me

{{gwi:1568541}}

{{!gwi}}

• lazy_gardens
    14 years ago

My neighbor did it, because it made the workflow better.

• jigg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It is great to finally see pictures of this idea! All of your comments/pics/links have been a great help! I don't understand why some of the stuff didn't come up in my search; I spent several hours and tried different wording and got almost nothing.
    My kitchen walls where all the appliance will go is 8.5 'x 10'. Right now the layout is stove on 8.5 wall, sink and dishwasher on 10 wall, and the fridge and a small cabinet facing the dishwasher and sink; fridge is set against an L shaped non-retaining wall which leaves 2 openings into the kitchen. The plan is to knock out the non-retaining wall and put an island there. We will leave the sink and dishwasher where they are. That leaves playing around with the placement of the fridge and range. I really don't want them side by side and I don't want the range in the island for several reasons.
    dan1888, the other consideration was the fridge in the corner, it has not been ruled out yet. I am trying to decide which would go better there and kept reading about the fridge doors not having enough opening room in a corner (I plan on getting a bottom freezer fridge, don't care whether doors are french or one piece).
    Since I am still in the planning phases nothing is certain, but I now have more to go on with some of my ideas. Thanks!

• jigg
    Original Author
    14 years ago

weidiii, when do plan to post your "Finished Kitchen"? I am interested in hearing the positives and negatives of dealing with your corner stove.

• gellchom
    14 years ago

I think the post about the safety issues -- not being able to work from the sides -- is really important. Besides the danger aspect, consider ergonomics: the ways you'd have to twist your back to put things in and out, baste, turn, etc. That would be enough for me to reject a corner placement.

And I would NOT want a KD who ignored important ergonomic and safety considerations for looks. I don't say looks must always come last, after convenience, cost, etc. -- but safety is a different matter.

• weidiii
    14 years ago

It's so newÂbased on what I had before it's greatÂtime will tell. Like I said it's a one-cook corner so if you need something you say excuse me to the cook....
    So far positives:
    +No through traffic on either side
    +Social cooking...business & prep on one side...chat & chew on the other
    +The range is mostly hidden from the dining area

• TeacherBarb
    12 years ago

I love this design and am trying to remodel a kitchen. I am also on a small budget.

Picture your layout with a sink under the window, that would be what it would be like if I put the cooktop/oven in the corner. The kitchen window would also wrap around to where the cooktop/oven would be. That's the possible layout I would be looking at. I don't know if there would be problems with that.

If I could only keep the layout we have now, but that's not possible since we have an over the cooktop oven and they don't make them anymore. FYI - because of a living room feature (fireplace), I can't put a low oven beneath the cooktop as it's laid out now. The fireplace feature cuts into the cupboards beneath the present location of the cooktop.

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio