Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Making Decisions

Posted by sparklep (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 19:30

How do y'all go about making decisions for your kitchen? I think I've been in denial about how many decisions I need to make!! Demo on my kitchen starts next week and I have until the 18th to pick my stain color. I just bought my floor tile (California gold slate tile), and will head up to the cabinet maker to have them help pick cabinet stain and a countertop. Hopefully they will provide some advice on backsplash and appliance color. Oh, and handles too!

I need to decide on undermount sink or not as well, and pick out a new sink faucet. I think I should probably add a new garbage disposal to the list too.

I think part of this is hard because if I were left to my own devices I would probably have a crazy colorful kitchen like the rest of my home. I feel like I need to reign myself in a bit with the kitchen since it's not easy like repainting before I sell. I have no intention of selling in the foreseeable future.

Oh, and this is not to say that I'm not looking at things and don't have ideas. I'm just overwhelmed by the number of small and big decisions.

Thanks for any advice!!

This post was edited by sparklep on Wed, Feb 6, 13 at 19:37

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Making Decisions

if you have your plan with cabinet sizes picked already,yet do not have appliance choices solidified,do that right away. AJMadison is a good website-get the actual dimensions with clearances of pieces you are interested in. Clearance and depths can alter planning of the cabinets.

o

I just looked up Cal. gold slate tile. Very nice choice. It has lots of different colors.
I went with cherry coffee stained bases and soft white uppers. I would go on the olio board site(free)and put all your choices together(cab door, floor, etc)and see how it all looks together. You'll know immediately if one color or style looks odd with the "feeling" you are trying to create. I trusted my intuition when I purchased everything and then made up an olioboard to confirm that the colors worked together(backward I know, but I was confident and knew the feeling I wanted in the space). It can get overwhelming to make all these decisions especially with the amount of $$$$ involved.
Here is my floor:

o

Decision fatigue is a very real part of renovating! I tried to have everything set long before demo started, but there were still lots of "little" details to decide on when the sledgehammers came out. Just hang in there and keep your eye on the prize!

o

Thanks!! I know which appliances I want; just not sure about the color.

EATREALFOOD, your floors are beautiful. I'm definitely relying on my intuition!

I will have to keep taking deep breaths and making decisions!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here