Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pix of your open shelves?

Posted by gina_w (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 19:26

When I moved into this home, the kitchen had been remodeled a few years ago - traditional cherry, nicely done, but not my style.

Well, I had along list of stuff to remodel, and we decided we could live with the kitchen - lots of people love it, the layout is okay, and it would be very costly to re-do. Gotta pick your battles!

Anyway I am on the tail end of remodeling the master bath, closet and we added some skylights in the great room and removed some paneling and did paint. Flooring starts next week.

Since I was tiling, I took out the 6" granite backsplash in the kitchen and did some beige glossy subway to transitional-ize the kitchen and it worked pretty well.

One of the glass inserts in one of the cabinets became loose, fell and broke, so we took off the doors to that cab and have been living with it during this remodel.

Now I'm thinking that it doesn't look bad. Maybe I'll remove the hinges and put some colorful Fiesta in there and leave it open.

Can I see some of your door-free cabs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pix of your open shelves?

I have been looking at Ina's kitchen for inspiration lately and it has me thinking about open shelves as well. I'm just not sure I'll know how to situate the items on the shelves to make them look pretty.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.housebeautiful.com/kitchens/barefoot-contessa-kitchen-of-the-year#slide-2

o

When we first moved into our house, there was an awkward upper cabinet in a corner which I could not get into because after the door was opened, I had to reach around it to put anything it. We took the door off and stored our Fiestaware in it. I liked it so much that when we remodeled our kitchen I put it doorless upper cabinets for storing dishware and glasses.

Here is a picture of the one we store our Fiestaware in now.

From Kitchen

o

Thanks folks.

Ina's kitchen is lovely. I'm thinking open shelving with colorful items in them would help modernize and funkify my overall look. Is funkify a word? Heh.

o

We did open shelves, or really just the boxes without doors. :) They frame our window wall and I didn't want anything that looked heavy. I keep our everyday plates and bowls on one side. Then mostly just decorative stuff. It's easy enough to dust with a Swiffer duster and then every once in awhile I take it all down and clean it good.

photo Copyofhousepicsmay10021.jpg

Here is the other side
 photo Copyofhousepicsmay10020.jpg

o

I love open cabs and shelves, some really pretty examples above. If it helps I've also posted a photo of a long stretch of open shelves in my kitchen. This area is used more for cooking stuff as opposed to dishes. I like open cabs and shelves, but then again my kitchen is a separate room so I don't have to worry as much about whether the stuff on the shelves looks organized or not :-)
 photo 20121222_154537.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here