Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

The Cat's Away....KIA sorta

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

....and I'm testing a new margarita recipe! Found it on Pinterest. I just saw another version in a cocktail book we bought this weekend. Who knew?

Blood Orange Margaritas!

Found them at the market last night.

The mess, this is when I thought of KIA thread

I'm not just making cocktails while the cat is away, I also painted a wall today--Wasabi!! It's Baaack...

Here's the recipe, again I found another one from a NY Restaurant in a book, but this is what I used, it is from a blog called I'llTryIt.

2 limes, zest and juiced
1 tablespoon flaky sea salt (for the rim)
1 cup ice
1 to 2 tablespoons agave nectar (depending on the sweetness form your oranges and your preference)
3/4 cup freshly squeezed blood orange juice
4 ounces tequila

In a shallow plate, gently toss the sea salt and zests from the limes together.

Rub the rims of your glasses with a lime wedge and dip the rims in the lime zest and salt mixture. In a cocktail shaker, combine ice, agave, lime juice, blood orange juice and tequila, and shake for about 30 seconds.

Evenly divided the cocktail into the prepared glasses. Garnish with a wedge of lime and a slice of blood orange. Add a couple pieces of ice if desired. Enjoy.

Comments (18)

• springroz
    11 years ago

Yum!! Always better when you only have to divide by one!

Nancy

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

That looks so yummy! Think that is one for the bar file.

• kellied
    11 years ago

Oooh............Breezygirl is gonna love this thread! She has been in mega margarita making mode lately with all kinds of interesting ones. Can't wait for her to chime in!

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Love margaritas and that blood orange one looks so tasty AND pretty. May have to pick some up at the farmers market this weekend...if still in season here.
    Thanks for posting the recipe.

So Bee, would those fixings be something you'd guard against getting on your countertops? Ever allow any food or drink items directly on the stone? Have you had any more etching? I love that stone and want to keep tabs for future reference.

You've used wasabi before? Lets see the wall!

Thanks

• eleena
    11 years ago

Margaritas are my favorite!

Too bad I have already had red wine, LOL.

• cookncarpenter
    11 years ago

Oh my, that is bit of a mess, but well worth it I'm sure! Cheers!!

• cindaintx
    11 years ago

I swoon every time I see your backsplash.
    If you live where there's a Costco, the Agave Nectar is much cheaper there.
    (but why didn't you do your fancy photo with the good stuff instead of the Jose C. , or was it gone by the time you staged the photo?)

• Tmnca
    11 years ago

Those look good!

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm back. We lost power for some unknown reason.

Anyhoo, glad you guys like the photos and are interested in making them.

island--I think I over-baby those counters. They etch. I'm ok with it, I try to avoid having perfect circles etch them. They don't etch instantly, like marble does. So, if the OJ splashed on the counters, I can wipe it up and there is no etching or staining. But, if I don't wipe up....look out. But, the etches are not rough to the touch, they are just gray spots--so they blend in.

the wall is drying, after the lights came back on, I did the 2nd coat on the wall--Tomorrow I'll see how it looks. I did use it before in my last house in the living room. I loved it. Paired it with deep purple accents...

cindaintx--the good stuff is empty....I actually put water in it so I COULD use it for the photo--but the vignette needed some height, so the faux-tequila was replaced!!!!! LOL And yes, we do buy the agave at Costco. Last time we needed it I picked this up in the store.

kellied--yes, where is miss Breezy? I should have put "Margarita" in the title!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Woohoo! Party at Bee's house! That looks delicious. DH loves blood oranges so I stocked up this week. Might have to make that my first adventure when my vacation starts Thursday :-)

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

Where is the paint going?

• islanddevil
    11 years ago

Black out or you blacked out from your fiesta? :>)
    Thanks for the scoop. That stone is so beautiful I can see why you'd want to take care of it.
    Looking forward to seeing the wasabi. Will you be serving sake for that reveal?Tee he.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The wasabi is going (or went) on the wall in our family room that is along the back staircase. It is a hallway, a "gallery" I think is what the fancy houses call it. Not my house. It all came to me when I was slowly being driven crazy that the picture of orange flowers was centered on the wall, but it was not under the pot lights, it was in the dark spot. This bugged me more than you can imagine. Well, maybe you can. So I thought, I have those big flower photos from the last house (although one needs to be put back together, thanks to the movers) and if I painted that wall wasabi, I could put them under the pot lights and all will be better.

So that's what I did. I think a friend is going to repair the frame for me for the one the movers adjusted.

So here is a "before", it's the wall that is behind the pillars. Picture is from a long time ago! I'll post an after later.

• kaysd
    11 years ago

Yum! I love blood oranges -- bookmarking this for later. Look forward to seeing the wasabi.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Grabbed a quick photo tonight of the wasabi. I haven't been home during any spurts of sun this week. So, this is the best I can do.

And the mate to the print is being repaired so there will be two on that wall.

The cat has landed and he'll be here shortly. Hope he likes it!

• gwlolo
    11 years ago

That looks brilliant.. Just what that wall needed to bring to life. You have such an eye Bee.. This is fabulous!

• mpagmom (SW Ohio)
    11 years ago

My husband just landed a bit ago, too. Wonder if I should break up the game of tackle basketball the kids are playing in the basement. A week went by and I didn't paint ANYTHING. Looks great!

• drbeanie2000
    11 years ago

Makes our margaritas tonight look so tame!

But when we make BLUE margaritas....

(for one drink)

2 oz tequila
    1 oz blue curacao
    1 oz Cointreau
    1 oz lime juice

Salt, chilled glasses, etc. They come out a gorgeous aqua, matching the island countertop!

Thanks for the recipe!