Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amandasplit_gw

Would love help from layout gurus

amandasplit
10 years ago

Sorry I don't have a birdseye view or measurements (this is for a friend). Any input would be awesome! Currently there's one of those small appliance shed things to the left of the fridge, which I've suggested they relocate. Anything glaring I can suggest? Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (6)

• sena01
    10 years ago

Not a guru, but just my 2 cents.

Fridge seems too far from the range. Maybe moving the pantry to short counter and having the range near the fridge can be considered.

• kcorn
    10 years ago

I do not claim to be a layout guru but the two things I see that stand out are:

1) should the prep sink be at the other end of the island closer to the refrigerator? Where is the trash located? It just seems odd to have the prep and clean up sink directly across from each other.

2) are the cabinets on the range wall the same distance from the window as the cabinets on the sink run that come to the right side of the window? Not sure if that makes sense, but I just had this same issue with asymmetry of cabinets around my window in our design and it was very bothersome. We are modifying it so the cabinets are symmetrical on either side of the window.

• User
    10 years ago

It would be much better to locate the fridge somewhere close to where the end of the island is, and then do cabinets to the right as some type of hutch that incorporates the small appliances there as a ''breakfast center''.

• amandasplit
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Loving the advice! Thank you!! I totally agree that fridge should move to the left and prep sink to the right.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I'd actually move the cleanup sink, dishwasher and trash to where the cooktop and hood are now, move the cooktop and hood to the right if the window on the fridge wall, and move the prep sink to the other end of the island. The problem with the current layout is the cleanup area is in the middle of the rope and cooking space.

I would also get rid of the appliance garage altogether.

• Gracie
    10 years ago

There seems to be a trend to put a prep sink in every kitchen, but I don't see the need for one on that small island in that small kitchen. There's plenty of counter space on both sides of the main sink for two to prep. I'd widen the island--24" islands are probably a thing of the past, and it looks like they have room for 36" without encroaching on an aisle.

The pantry is as wide as the fridge, so that puts a lot of bulk on one end. I'd go down to a 24" pantry. With the fridge on the short leg, a smaller pantry will allow more prep space between the main sink and stove. With the money they save on eliminating the prep sink, they could put in a beverage fridge at the end of the long leg.

Hopefully the stove can go against that wall and make that more pleasing to the eye. They tried to get creative with alternating drawers and cabinets to break up the long expanse of wall and counter, but drawers would look better. They should have room for a counter cabinet at the end now, where they look best.