Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pfmastin_gw

That darn crevice between the range and countertop

pfmastin
15 years ago

I'm starting to think cleaning was easier when I had a quarter inch between the sides of my range and the old countertops. :) I've taken to using a piece of thick paper to pull out the wedged crumbs and detritus that accumulates there and then using the kitchen sponge to get down in there the best I can.

I'm hoping someone has a better method.

Comments (25)

• golddust
    15 years ago

Vacuum it with your crevice tool first. Once the crumbs get wet, it's all over. LOL!

• sara_m
    15 years ago

Do you have a gas range? I recently discovered that the top of my gas range lifts off (for servicing?). So lifting it is perfect for getting to the crumbs.

• morton5
    15 years ago

My contractor put clear silicone caulk between the edge of the range and the counter. It's holding up great and makes cleaning a breeze. When it starts to look grungy I will remove and replace.

• pcjs
    15 years ago

After a year it doesn't bother me, but Laurie that looks nice and an option for us. I figure what I can't see will not hurt me and we don't drop much down there from what I can tell (we'll see when we move the stove next).

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

I am so glad I read this post!!! I had a slide in range before and it had a lift up top so I could clean up around the range. Now I have a freestanding range and there is a very small gap, but stuff gets in there.

I'm going to look into the clear caulk!

• dcvoigt
    15 years ago

Are slide in ranges worse or better than freestanding for this concern?

• lynn_r_ct
    15 years ago

This has been a major problem for me. One day I looked and was convinced there were maggots in the crevice. I was so freaked out until I realized they were dried ramen noodles that my son had cooked that afternoon! I definately am going to use one of the suggestions you all have mentioned. They seem like such easy solutions. Now why didn't I think of that???

• rmiriam
    15 years ago

Has anyone used anything like this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Gap cover

• eandhl
    15 years ago

As far as cleaning 6 of one and 6 of the other. I have had both. I use a toothpick and I did on my slide in around the edge too.

• auchmedden
    15 years ago

We have a slide-in and there is no gap. So I would say that cleaning a slide-in is easier! It is the same as a cooktop, you are cleaning around the edges but not into a crevice. If something falls in the back, I can't see it.

• crnaskater
    15 years ago

thanks for the link 'gap cover!' Now can anyone tell me what to do where the gas stove meets the wall? I have a freestanding gas stove and several times things have fallen off the counter into that gap behind the stove necessitating pulling the stove out, climb on the counter and use 'reachers' to retrieve items. I finally just put 3 inch wide tape up the gap. My new kitchen GC noticed it and laughed and said I might just have to use tape again as he didn't know what to put there.... Anyone have the same dilemma??

• pfmastin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, I am so happy to see all these possible solutions.
    sarah_m - I wish the top lifted up, but it doesn't. Good thought, though!
    Mine is a free standing range...I'm hoping the caulk idea will work.
    laurie_2008 - is it possible to see a more close up photo of your cushy cupboards shelf liner solution?
    cindy49 - I'm thinking the slide in would be easier to clean since it's sort of like having a drop in sink edge instead of a crevice between range and counter.

Thanks, everyone.
    Pam

• Laurie
    15 years ago

I think you'll be able to see it better in these two pictures...

• Gemcap
    10 years ago

Found this thread when I was doing a search on solutions for this problem - and also this http://www.buystovebuddy.com/ . Not sure what the reviews are like but I'm going to order one so will give feedback once I get them.

• oldfixer
    10 years ago

A simple "T" shape filler, sits in the crack, overlapping stove/countertop. Lift to clean, put back. I chose aluminum. Home Depot style stores.
    Caulking may cause cursing on attempts to remove, especially silicone.

• deedles
    10 years ago

We just slid my vintage freestanding stove out of it's hole to move it and ugh, super nasty gross embarrassingly gross and sick.

Something different has to be done this time around so this thread is really timely, thank you!

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

" ... ugh, super nasty gross embarrassingly gross and sick"

LOL, deedles. That bad?

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

We have a silicon filler strip from Walmart.

"Range Kleenî Silicone Kleen Seam"

T-molding, comes in white or black and just sits in the gap. Can be removed for counter scrubbing. Wonderful thing.

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

I'll try caulking. I don't expect to move my stove any time soon - we had to fasten it to the wall in order to pass code.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

You really need to pull those things out and clean periodically. Feels good!

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

"You really need to pull those things out and clean periodically. Feels good!"

You mean more than every 12 years? That's how long it took me to pull out my old oven. I know, I'm ashamed.

• deedles
    10 years ago

jelly: I was actually minimizing how bad it was, haha. Maybe I'll try the silicone trick.

12 years? Now I don't feel so bad :P

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

When we pulled the stove out in the old kitchen I had to clean the sides before we put it out for the recyclers. Didn't want them or the neighbors to see how dirty it was ;-) So life goes on and the sides of the stove get dirty. Oh well. Like the top of the fridge, if I can't see it, it must not be dirty!

• marcy96
    10 years ago

Gotta try to Kleen Seam!

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH