Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ideas for appliance garage

Posted by chicago_bob (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 19:13

Planning a complete gut/remodel of kitchen in our newly-purchased house. One wall will house the Frigidaire all-freezer..all-refrigerator combo, surrounded by 24: deep cabinets. From the floor, I have planned a 36" 2 drawer base, then a 17 1/2" one door garage with a "high lift door" then a 42" one door cab. (All are 19" width.) I want to keep all cabinets 24" deep for a total built-in look for the frig. I will have an island next to this wall, so I have a place to put small appliances.
Any thought on this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ideas for appliance garage

Here is the overall plan for this new kitchen.
Sink wall on the lower left will be 42" high (countertop extending into great room); moving counterclockwise - then stove wall, refrigerator wall, then wine wall with sto0rage, then (across 8') another storage wall with full height pantry and built-in bookcases for my cookbooks. Space on top of drawing will be a dining area.

Your collective thoughts and opinions very welcome.

o

I keep hearing from cabinet people that appliance garages are nothing but trouble.

I can't speak from experience and plan two tambour doors in my MBR cabinets to hide receivers, etc. So far, putting them in after the fact has been a very unsuccessful nightmare.

o

You won't be able to have the high lift open and open the cabinet above it. It may make sense to have the garage have regular hinged doors or pocket doors rather than something that blocks another cabinet.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here