Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary6283

Where do you hang your cloth hand towels?

mary6283
15 years ago

Now that my new cabinets are in I need a place to hang a hand towel next to the sink. I've seen towel bars that go in the cabinet under the sink but I don't think that would work because you have to open that cabinet with wet hands every time I needed a quick dry off. Where do you hang your hand towels? Does anyone have a system that keeps things looking neat near the sink with a towel at "hand" when you need it?

Comments (36)

• katiee511
    15 years ago

How about one of those decorative stands for bathrooms? In a finish to match your decor.

I can't help too much, mine is inside the cabinet door under my sink. I am just used to nudging it open with my knee. It's just a stick on hook, no holes drilled in the door.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen towel stand

• sturdy
    15 years ago

Mine is on the range handle. It may not look too pretty but its handy.

• ourfixerup
    15 years ago

This is the same question I have been asking. What to do with my towels? We just finished the kitchen and I have nowhere
    to hang a towel. Who would have thought after all the remodeling that we did it's down to a towel rack.
    Under the sink won't work so I guess I will have to hunt for
    something to sit on the counter. Thanks

• ctlady_gw
    15 years ago

Here's where we keep ours.

{{!gwi}}

(I just don't tell dinner guests that's where we keep it...)

• caryscott
    15 years ago

I giving a pair of these to my Mom to try out tomorrow. I think they are great you can put a hook inside the cabinet if you want to keep them and your towels out of sight or you can just hang them off of your knobs or handles when you want your dishtowels or oven mitts out (you can even hook them on your belt loop if you want). I paid $6.99 each at the hardware store and they come in white, grey and black and are made from silicone so they are heat resisitant. Magnets seem very strong. If I end up at her place tomorrow I'll shoot a couple shots in situ as well as report back on her thoughts.

• redroze
    15 years ago

I used to put it on the dishwasher handle. I don't like how the stainless steel dishwasher gets water streaks though, so I'll tend to just keep it on the granite counters, then hang it on the wall oven handle to dry it (as there's less stainless steel on the oven compared to the dishwasher).

I love Katie's idea though...I've been meaning to get one of those stands. I actually bought one then realized it was a shorter version meant for face towels. You need to buy the taller tower so that your dishtowels don't drag on the counter.

• katiee511
    15 years ago

LOL ctlady!! That is too cute :)

• shanghaimom
    15 years ago

Those cook hooks look great--what do you mean about a "magnet", though? I don't see how/where a magnet is involved. An Aunt had given me some of those church-bazaar type crocheted towel holder thingy you can hang off the cupboard knobs--I like this MUCH better!

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I'll probably just drape a dishtowel over the apron of the farmhouse sink. At my prep sink, I'm purchasing a 12-inch version of my cabinet pull to put on the false panel to hang a small tea towel for drying my hands.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I don't hang mine anywhere. I fold it and put it on the counter or I toss it in the laundry can. If it has been used, it needs to be put in the laundry can. But I have a special case because I own about 100 dish clothes. I don't use paper towels so these are like my paper towels except they are washable.

Good luck!

• caryscott
    15 years ago

The two ends on either side of the towel (in the pic I posted you see just one side) have magnets in them to hold the towel between them or to close the loop if you were using the hook for oven mitts or pot holders.

• gayl
    15 years ago

Cary, I can't quite read the brand name on these hooks...can you please tell me what it is. That is just what I have been looking for.

Thanks!

• caryscott
    15 years ago

No problem gayl,

cookhooks by fusionbrands

Here is a link that might be useful: fusionbrands website

• megradek
    15 years ago

I really like the magnet clip idea...

When I'm really working, i find myself always walking around with a towel over my left shoulder!!

otherwise it hangs in its' very unattractive spot on the oven handle and/or sink cab.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

I have a full size towel rack but it is across the kitchen from my sink. Recently I found this over the cabinet door towel bar at Organize.com. I was afraid it would look cheesy but it doesnÂt. It has been very handy. The inside surface where it contacts the door is rubber lined so it wonÂt scratch the cabinet or slide. The width is perfect for a dish towel folded in half. There are several styles and finishes, even ORB which matches my hardware.

Here is a link that might be useful: cabinet door towel bar

• charlikin
    15 years ago

On the fridge door handle. Isn't that where it goes??? (I grew up in apartment kitchens where the fridge is close to the sink - and everything else. ;-))

• mary_lu_gw
    15 years ago

This would probably not work in some kitchens, but as my kitchen is "vintage" it works great. I hang the "just for looks" towels in front and my every day hand towel in the back on the third rod.

vintage towel holder

• debbie_2008
    15 years ago

ctlady...I love your kitchen towelholder.

I have a slide out towel holder in a narrow lower cabinet...how boring compared to ctlady's

• caryscott
    15 years ago

Sounds like they were pretty fancy at charlikin's house, in the old kitchen they went over the doors of the sinkbase (which was really just a blind corner base cabinet with 2 doors):

{{gwi:1577470}}

We bought a pull out towel holder at Lee Valley for under the sink but I doubt it is practical to have her tea towels inside the cupboard (so far it has been draped over the stove handle (now look who is getting all fancy) but that means it's on the floor every time you open the oven door. Maybe she will want both. I like the ones that go over the door like linnea56 has but that won't work with a frameless sink base (not enough clearance between the faux drawer front panel and the doors for it not to rub).

Lee Valley towel holder:

• sunfeather
    15 years ago

I love this topic. I'm using this but want to change to something smaller.

">

• sunfeather
    15 years ago

The former owner of our house used the inside of the cabinet door beneath the sink and the moisture from the towels removed the finish on the door.

I used to have a magnetic towel bar on the frig and like that a lot but now have a stainless frig. Could probably put something like that on the side but not convenient to the sink.

• oruboris
    15 years ago

A simple hook on each side of the window-- one for the dish towel, one for the hand towel [though that is often a distinction witout difference].

I really dislike them on range or DW handles, since they brush the floor every time the appliance is used. Don't like them on the cab handles either if they restrict access.

• oofasis
    15 years ago

I keep them where I need and use them the most.

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Oofasis, that is one knockout backsplash!

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

Bought an extra-long drawer handle, to match the rest, and had it mounted on the end of my table/island.

• blakey
    15 years ago

I bought a towel rod at Restoration Hardware that works with the rest of my hardware in terms of style and finish and will install it at the end of my island, so it's right behind me when I'm at the sink or working at the range. I'll post some pictures in a week or two when the kitchen is done but it's a simple solution and I can hang two towels there.

• oofasis
    15 years ago

Thanks, Charliekin. My kitchen photos don't do justice to the backsplash. In real life, everyone just stops short and gapes!

They're glass tiles from AlysEdwards, custom made for me in Italy. They're like stained glass, a milky white with grays and browns, no two pieces alike. I couldn't have asked for anything more beautiful to go with my Carrara counters. I think you can appreciate them better in these next pix.

I over-ordered and actually have an entire unused box of them that I keep meaning to list on CraigsList or someplace. There's just no where else in the house to use them.

• rmlanza
    15 years ago

This subject has been brought up many times but I'll share my towel pig once again, for those new members who may not have seen him...

I can't take credit for him though, another Robin (the one with the craftsman kitchen) had him and I had to steal her idea.

Robin

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Thanks, Oofasis, for posting those closeups! Glass tile. Sigh. I really wanted glass tile like that - my tile guy nixed it (he didn't think it would come out well on my uneven plaster wall, and I decided to stay within his skill level ;-)).

Enjoy it, and consider me one of the gapers!!!

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

oofasis... do you mean they are one of a kind? OH... I'm always strolling craigslist for things. That's where I found my vintage bakers table. Your tiles are SPECTACULAR!

• rtmom2
    15 years ago

I,ve been having the same problem too. I don't want to ruin the SS, so I haven't hung them on any handles (did that in old kitchen. I have looked at something similiar to rrs626. Felt it took care of both hand and paper towels, but wasn't sure because of size. As of the momment of have been keeping used ones foldered in quarters on the end of my dish drain, which i didn't want out at first, but gave in to neccessity. (didn't want to pull it in & out 2 -3 times a day.

• caligal
    15 years ago

I hang one on my dishwasher handle and one
    here:

• sunfeather
    15 years ago

I got the iron rack at Ballard Designs online.

Caligirl - that looks so nice! And, everything is so sparking clean - I would hate to show a close up of my toaster area. Wish I had a place for a bar like that.

• christmasbaby
    15 years ago

I am heading to the Container Store to check these out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chariot Towel & Scrubby Stand by Umbra®..

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Now that we've been using the kitchen for a while, I find the towels end up on (1) freezer drawer handle on the refrigerator, (2) warming drawer handle, and, occasionally, (3) DW.

Like Oruboris, I don't like them on the DW b/c they hit the ground when the DW is opened. And, since our ovens are visible from the front door, towels are forbidden on the oven handles! [It took a while, but everyone is on-board with that restriction now!]

An older thread on a similar topic is linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: OT. Kitchen-towel-hanging-on-the-oven-door-survey...

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator