Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugarcookiess

Granite Edge Profiles

SugarCookies
12 years ago

Greetings all. I did do a search before posting to see if I could find anything on granite edge profiles and I didn't see any recent specific threads about what types of edge profiles are preferred these days. I have learned a ton from reading the posts here and I thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and experience.

I am having my granite fabricated on Monday so I still have until then to change my mind. I originally wanted ogee bullnose, but my fabricator tells me that kind of edge profile is out of style. He tells me that most of his customers are going with a large beveled edge profile.

My kitchen is going to be fairly modern with a bit of rustic charm in the cabinets. I am getting a stainless Viking range, vent hood, microwave and a stainless backsplash behind the range. The rest of the backsplash is going to be a mix of 1"x2" glass subway tiles with a few natural stone tiles. Modern, sleek stainless steel apron front sink. Tile floor.

My questions:

1. For those of you who have natural stone countertops, which edge profile did you decide on and are you happy with the results in your kitchen?

2. If you had it to do over again, would you choose the same edge profile and, if not, what would you change it to?

I am certain I'm just obsessing over a small detail that no one who sees it will care about, but it's my first reno and will have to last me a long time. I don't want to see the granite everyday and wish I had chosen a different edge profile. And, I'm sure you can tell I'm having trouble sticking with my decision. lol

Comments (41)

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, lol, I guess we must be out of style because we have ogee. It just was installed last month. I saw the large bevel and to me that seems like it will go out very fast. It's not a classic edge like the ogee that is most often used in furniture edges that have a marble top or stone top. I think what you were thinking of sounds really nice ogee bullnose? Is that a laminated edge where two thicknesses are laminated together? That is what I wanted to do. Our granite is 3 cm and they said it works best on 2 cm when laminating an edge but mostly I just didn't want to pay the huge upgrade charge.

If you are doing very modern I can see where the new large bevel would be appealing but the ogee is also still a classic and very appealing to many people. Good luck! Your kitchen sounds like it is going to be beautiful.

• willtv
    12 years ago

We went with an ogee edge for our granite countertops.
    Our kitchen is very simple.
    White shaker cabs, dark floor, dark countertops and black appliances.
    The ogee edge adds a little bling to an otherwise simple design.
    Here's a link to our finished kitchen.
    These aren't the best pictures to illustrate the edge, but I think you'll get the idea

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchen W/Ogee Edge

• pharaoh
    12 years ago

Laminated flat edge. About 2" thick. Island has 3" laminated flat edge.

I think flat works best for a modern look.

• taggie
    12 years ago

Ogee here too because I love it. Just did it 2 months ago and yes would do again. But it is more of a traditional look, not a 'modern' vibe.

I agree with gr8day that the large bevel will go out of style ... not a problem if you love it, but it is kind of industrial looking and I'm not sure its for you based on your description of modern+rustic charm.

If you are going for modern (with a bit of rustic in the cabs), you might like an eased edge. It's still a classic look, but more fitting with a modern vibe than ogee.

• Emily
    12 years ago

We have granite and chose the standard eased edge. We are very happy with it. I didn't like the ogee edge b/c I thought it was too fancy for our more casual kitchen. Our fabricator also said he didn't care for the ogee for our kitchen. The eased edge looks great and is easy to keep clean.

• abbeys
    12 years ago

We are doing an ogee edge with bullnosed lower area. But I'm kind of traditional, so I like the look. I doubt it will go out of style - it's been around for a long time. Just depends on what you like, and what will look best in your kitchen. You didn't mention what granite you have, or how thick it is.

Out here in CA, most of the granite is 2cm thick, and the fabricators laminate the edge piece so the granite is 4cm thick at the edges. I've noticed that when they do that with granites that have a lot of dramatic movement, and use a very simple edge - like an eased edge or beveled edge - the seam around the edge (where the piece is laminated on to the main stone) is very visible. It's really hard to get the pattern to match up all the way around the edge. This seems to be less noticable with an ogee edge.(I guess the curve hides it a bit) Not that it's a reason to pick that edge, just thought I'd mention it.

Also, the ogee is more work for the fabricators to cut and polish. They often charge more for that reason.

My advice is to look at a lot of examples; in photos and in person. Go with whatever you really like - you are the one who will live with it, and it can't be changed. Good Luck! Let us know what you decide.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

We have a combination in our kitchen--eased edge on the perimeter and ogee on the island.

I saw an edge I hadn't seen before the other day in an office at the reception desk that looked really nice--a single pencil edge. The edge itself had alot of visual depth that really showcased the granite. It almost looked jewel-like in a granite-y kind of way if that makes sense. I stood there mesmerized by it--thank goodness the receptionist was busy on the phone & didn't notice me gawking in awe.

• badgergal
    12 years ago

My kitchen is contemporary and we wanted a plain, simple edge on our granite so we chose a straight eased edge. We love the way it looks. Here it is:
    {{gwi:1657617}}

• Bunny
    12 years ago

Eased. No regrets.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I have some edge pictures. I wish I had thought about this
    more. We would have gone with this one called the bookend
    edge. I love the thickness and heavy feel.

This is mine

I love the above but wish I had gone with this.

And here are some others

A way to create thickness without the weight of a large
    slab

• scrapbookheaven
    12 years ago

I have the edge in boxerpups last picture where someone is holding the edge sample. It is sometimes called crescent edge. I love it. It is easy to clean (I have 3 kids.) It is a little less modern than the simple pencil edge and less "traditional" than the ogee. However, I don't see the ogee as going out of style. For me, it came down to ease of use and what looked good in the style of my kitchen. That bookend sample is gorgeous to me too. Good thing I didn't see it when I was doing my granite!

• janealexa
    12 years ago

I also have the crescent edge throughout the interior of my house. For our outdoor countertop we have the eased edge. I am happy with our decisions, looks nice and easy to clean. All of our slabs were 3cm. I do have to say the the eased edge makes the granite look thicker. I had a full bullnose in the old house and I would not do that again. When liquid spilled on the countertop, the liquid followed the rounded bullnose to the underside of the countertop edge and onto the cabinets...

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the responses everyone.

@gr8day - I love ogee and I think it adds that extra bit of class and sophistication to the kitchen. The more I think about it though, the more I realize that with the mostly modern look to my kitchen, ogee doesn't really fit, much to my chagrin. Plus, like you mentioned, he was going to charge me more to do it that way. My choices if I don't want to pay more are bullnose, straight or bevel. Yes, the ogee bullnose is a laminated edge that combines the ogee on the top and the bullnose on the bottom.

@willtv - Your kitchen is lovely! Thanks for the pics, I did see the ogee there and I agree, it does add some bling.

@pharaoh - I'm leaning toward the flat/straight edge. The only reason I didn't consider it in the beginning is because DH vetoed that one and he liked the bevel. In the end he's getting whatever I decide on because he certainly doesn't want to listen to me gripe about it for the next ten years! lol

@taggie - I think you're right about the straight edge being more modern. I don't really like the bevel that much, but I was willing to go with it because DH liked it and I've pretty much picked everything else for the whole reno. This is the first thing he expressed a preference on, so I thought I should go with his choice on this. But, I showed him some pics of edges from Houzz and he said he liked the straight edge after seeing them. The reason I termed the cabinets "rustic" is because we're re-finishing them ourselves. We didn't want to spend for new cabs since the existing ones are in decent shape.

@epressler - Yes, easy cleaning is a good reason for me to get the straight edge!

@abbeys - I'm in NV, so we're state neighbors. I'll see if I can figure out how to post pictures in here so I can show you guys what the granite slabs I picked look like. I chose gray (Silver Pearl) for the countertops and beige (Toscana Antiqua) for the island. I wanted granite that had movement to it at first, but I was having trouble finding the right color gray. They all seemed to be too blue or they had some other color in them that I didn't want like pink. Hopefully the link I pasted in will lead you all to see the gray one at least.

@mydreamhome - I was thinking of doing that with a different edge on the island. Truth be told, that was what brought me to ogee in the first place, the island. I like the pencil edge. I think I will go with the eased edge on everything because it's the cleanest look for my kitchen's style. Plus, I can't afford to pay any more money to this guy. I'm having him do a coffee table top and a bathroom vanity too and only because I got him down to $19/sqft! lol

@badgergal - I saw your kitchen on another thread and literally gasped in awe! It is gorgeous! The eased edge looks perfect in your kitchen and I'm sure it will in mine too.

@boxerpups - The edge in your kitchen is nice. I like the bookend edge also. Really, I'm just thrilled to finally be getting granite, so as I said, I'm obsessing over the details. I have formica right now. Ugh! Thank you for the edge profile pics.

@scrapbookheaven - I like the one you have too. I think that would work in my kitchen too.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1687857}}

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

janealexa - That's a great point. I didn't even think of that. I think the eased edge will help spills onto the floor versus down the front of the cabs or, gasp, down the front of my Viking drawer microwave in the island! lol

The link below looks a lot like the granite I chose for the island, except the real one has more gray in it.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1687858}}

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Sugarcookies -- I know I am in a distinct minority when I say that we have ogee edges and I hate them. I didn't like them at first, grew to really dislike them and by now I detest them.

For further clarification let me explain what I have is ogee up top sandwiched with a straight edge below in an attempt to direct the drip straight down, not onto the underlying cabinet. On our perimeter cabinets we have a straight edge.

I do most of my prep work on the surface with the ogee edge, so most of my sweeping needs to happen over this edge and that's what I despise - I can't sweep, and it takes extra work to clean in the curve. I know, every time I say this people chime in that they have an ogee edge and it's no problem to clean or sweep. I don't really know how to respond except to guess that the details of how one cooks matters. I have no disposal and compost everything and cook and clean a lot of vegetables so there is an awful lot of sweeping that goes on. I have kids so there is an awful lot of peeling that goes on without getting deposited where it ought to have been the first time. ;) And my stone is pretty colorful so it's a little hard to tell where the dirt is.

But also I have the comparison in the very same kitchen of a straight edge and I can tell, all day long, that it's significantly easier to use and simultaneously just as fine-looking. In fact, with our happening stone, the straight edge, when mitred, really best highlights the drama of the stone as well, IMO.

I have really strong feelings about this, but it is very highly dependent on the way our kitchen happens to run I think.

Also, if you sweep a lot, you might want 1.5" overhangs at least. I had to _fight_ for overhangs that large; I'm sure it depends on your fabricator and their market though. I recommend the larger overhang though.

You know, I think I could hazard this as a generality, maybe. If aesthetics are important to you in this instance, more so than utility - and reasonable minds, IMO, could well say this is so since natural stone is such an inherently tactile, aesthetic addition to a kitchen ... if this is your primary focus, then you might put up with slight inconvenience from the "designer" edge. If your kitchen is more of a production arena for whatever reason, and you will become irked by any loss of functionality, period, then you might want to stick with the straighter edge.

I'm not sure whether that rule would have saved me from this predicament, maybe... but I think I would have had to have heard that the straight edge was just as, if not more-so pretty than the curvy edges. That's where I fell down -- the stone was so amazing, not to mention expensive, it just seemed to "deserve" some "best" treatment. What I didn't appreciate was that a straight edge absolutely is a wonderful way to highlight gorgeous stone; it's not second-best. I think what I would have needed to know to get me to the right place was to understand in this edge-context that the stone itself (for us of course) was the focal point, not its cut. You might want to dress up a plainer or more fine-grained, homogeneous stone with a curvy edge. But our massive slab of rainforest green would have looked better, and functioned better, as a straight (or slightly rounded of course) edge.

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

aliris19 - My husband is afraid of exactly what you describe. The first thing he said when I told him I wanted ogee bullnose was "it will be a crap catcher". ;) My countertops are going to be dark and I think it will be difficult to see crumbs and what not on there as it is.

I thought the straight edge was boring when I first saw it, but the more I look at it, the more I like it. Especially because both granite colors have the pearl-like blingy pieces in them and the straight edge will definitely show that off more than a curvy edge.

All of you have really helped me with this decision! Thanks! :)

• abbeys
    12 years ago

SugarCookies,

Your stone choices are beautiful. It's really great to hear that you have figured out what you want, and will work in your kitchen. Hope you'll post photos when it's done. Good Luck!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

I don't think that a beautiful ogee edge will ever go out of style!
    You should get what you like and what complements the style of your kitchen.

In my neighborhood here in the northeast,
    most people who have renovated in the past couple of years
    have selected a simple eased edge for their granite counters.
    That is what we choose and we are happy with it.

(I do know a few people who have done an ogee edge on the island -- especially wood topped islands -- to set it off as distinct from the granite on the perimeter.)

• sprtphntc7a
    12 years ago

demi bullnose. we love it. easy to sweep crumbs right into trash can. no crumb/dirt catcher. i think it makes the granite look "thick".
    nothing runs back to cabs. no regrets.
    i think you have to pick an edge that goes with the style of your kitchen and of course something you love and "feels" good. you have to live with it for a long time.

best of luck!

• joyce_6333
    12 years ago

I do love an ogee edge, but too fancy for my kitchen. We went with what our granite guy called a 1/4 round detail edge, but I see it as a double eased edge. It was an upgrade of $560. No regrets.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Sugar - in fairness, people have chimed in in the past when I went off on the things with an "oh, I *never* have any problem cleaning, just a swipe of the sponge", etc. I'm sure it depends on the subjective sense of problem. To me, any second swipe is a problem!

My mom has black counters and you can never see the cr@# on them. But for that matter, mine are not all that dark, just mottled and you can't either. It may just be a casualty of any stone counter; you will have to learn to use your fingertips.

G'luck in your 'decoration-choices' (cause that's what it is, IMHO)!

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I figured out how to post pics, so here's the pic of the actual granite for the island with a floor tile and a small cabinet door for color reference.

{{gwi:1687872}}

• codymaxx
    12 years ago

I know we're in the minority. My husband wants to get full bullnose.

• hottois
    12 years ago

Another minority - we're doing the beveled edge.

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Very pretty granite!
    I agree with you that a very simple edge treatment
    will work best with your granite and cabinets.
    Let that gorgeous granite be the star.

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dgsr1 - What size bevel are you getting? I've seen many different types of bevels. My fabricator is advocating for the large bevel, not sure if it's called a 45 bevel or a half bevel, but it's not a small bevel that just breaks the edge of the stone.

francoise47 - Thanks! :)

• hottois
    12 years ago

SugarCookies, our granite counters will have the 1/4" bevel. Our home is a 95 year old shake-shingled Tudor, which I am totally in love with. I'm redecorating the main floor (again) and changing from French Country to more of an updated eclectic look. I still have my favorite antique/country pieces but new wall colors, contemporary fabrics for new window treatments (which I make myself), etc.

The kitchen is getting a facelift - keeping some of the cherry cabinets, adding new white ones, new counter top, new floor. The beadboard wainscoting will stay but the French country wallpaper is going and will be replaced with painted walls. I like the clean lines of the beveled edge and don't believe they'll get dated any quicker than anything else does.

I've learned to trust my gut with what I like when it comes to decorating. I've had many people over the years say, "Really, you're going to do THAT?" them come back and say, "Wow - beautiful!"

You're the one who's going to live with your choices. Go with what you love.

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Is sounds like the updates you're doing are going to be beautiful! It's amazing how dramatic a simple change like a fresh coat of paint can be. When we painted the entry, living room, hallway and kitchen, it made everything look so much better. And, that was before we did anything else, so the old furniture and carpet were still there. Now it's even nicer since we tiled those same areas and got new furniture.

You're right about the granite, so I'm going with the straight edge.

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Update: Went to the granite shop today and they are cutting the slabs as I type this. I went with the straight edge. I'll post pics after the install tomorrow so you guys can see how it looks. So excited! I'm going to be like a kid on Christmas morning! And again when my appliances are delivered! :D

• cotoremodel
    12 years ago

please post a follow up! I can't wait to see pics! I just chose granite today too. I have been hunting for months and months, finally decided last November on AJ Brown. I found out last week that my fabricator isn't willing to work with that color. I was so upset, we are ready to install today! We have been without a kitchen since early December and I have three kids 5 and under. Our life is in chaos! But I finally found a good replacement. I'm going with Juparana Persa on the perimeter and a Bronzite slab for the island. I am paralyzed with edge detail. I can't wait to see more!
    good luck remodeling!

I wish I knew how to post pics on this site. I've been a long time lurker and don't know my way around yet.

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

cotoremodel - Lovely color choices on the granite/bronzite! What is the rest of your color palate?

How on earth are you getting by without a kitchen with kids that young?? Supermom. lol

I totally understand your edge detail paralysis!

The granite installers are here now, so I must be brief. Will come back later with pics.

Check out the link below for posting pics. Very helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Posting Pictures

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Then again, you might want a straight edge on your countertop because you bake a lot and it's a convenient place to crack an egg. I do love the look too and think it's more in keeping with our 70s tri-level than a more formal ogee.

Btw, our fabricator actually called it a modified T-edge.

• annac54
    12 years ago

SugarCookies, that is some pretty granite. Please post pictures when it's installed. With the style of kitchen you have, I think you made the right choice of edge. Looking forward to seeing how it turned out.

@alaris: I have ogee edges in my kitchen, and don't have a problem swiping stuff off, HOWEVER, I also have a good friend who has ogee edges, but she says stuff sticks on hers all the time. I've helped in her kitchen, and yes, you have to work to get the stuff sweeped off her counter. I think it might be a difference in the depth and width of the ogee cut. My friend's is different than mine, it seems to be wider and deeper, so that may make it harder to wipe it off easily. There may be no standard size for an ogee cut other than it's a double curve. My friend's edge looks a little more elegant than mine, probably because the edge detail is bigger. They were not cut by the same fabricator.

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Please keep in mind that this is a work in progress! We will be installing our BS tile and stainless sheet behind the stove this week as the appliances are being delivered on Friday. Please pretend that I have a stainless dishwasher as I plan to purchase one in the somewhat near future, but I need to save a few dollars before doing so. Also, there will be a drawer underneath the microwave at some point. The door jams and baseboard are not all there either.

Okay, so here are the pics of today's granite and microwave drawer install. The pics do not do the stone justice. I am beyond thrilled with how nice it looks! :D

{{gwi:1392492}}

{{gwi:1687875}}

{{gwi:1687877}}

{{gwi:1687879}}

{{gwi:1687881}}

• taggie
    12 years ago

Oh WOW, that granite and edging looks fabulous. And what a sink, btw, va va va voom. Great looking kitchen, you must be on could nine! :-)

• badgergal
    12 years ago

Looks great. Love your floors, sink and the granite with that edge. Everything goes together so nice. Enjoy!

• hottois
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Can't wait to see the finished kitchen!

• francoise47
    12 years ago

Beautiful! Your edge profile and both granite choices are perfect in your kitchen.
    I look forward to seeing your big reveal.

• SugarCookies
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. It's truly amazing how much difference the countertops make even though the project is not yet finished! I can't believe this is the same kitchen. lol

I just wish I could afford to grab a new dishwasher now too. The white one next to my stainless sink kind of ruins it for me. ;)

If anyone is interested in the floor tiles they are called Biltmore Gray from Home Depot. Reasonably priced. The grout color is called Haystack.

The cabinets are being done with the Rustoleum Cabinet Transformations light color kit in Porcelain with the glazing stain over it. If I had it to do over again, I would probably paint the cabinets with the base coat (Porcelain) and then hire someone to do the finishing glaze portion. It's somewhat difficult to get all the doors and drawer fronts to match using a light color, as I'm sure you can see in some of the pictures. If I were going with a dark cabinet color, I would not hesitate to use this kit. Just an FYI for anyone who might be considering alternatives to the high cost of new cabinets and doesn't want a straight painted look.

• aliris19
    12 years ago

Sugar - it looks great! I love the complimentary colors.

Anna -- that's a really interesting observation. Having read what you said, it feels obvious now that ogee edges are not standard in profile and some may be more 'catchy' than others. I've really been wondering how my experience can be so "off", but you may have a reasonable explanation for why we're all right.

Another reason for not liking it just occurred to me tonight: it diminishes useable countertop acreage. This matters around the sink. I like my wide perch-edge there and I would have it all! ;)