Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m2dougherty

Kitchen Reveal

m2dougherty
10 years ago

It has taken us a while to get these pictures taken and figure out how to post them. Right now I can only do one picture at a time for some reason.

Our counters are Viscount White granite. The pattern is unusual. We are very happy with the way the installers were able to sweep the pattern around the room.

We reused our appliances. The sink is new. It is a Franke Orca. We used the Delta Cassidy faucet.

We have no finished all of the work as yet. My husband is building a pair of cabinets for the dining room that will have granite counters extending into the kitchen.

Our cabinets were custom made by Taylor Made in Leominster, MA.

Many thanks to the advice we received from all of you.

I will try to post more pictures.

Michele

Comments (39)

• NashvilleBuild42
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's refreshing to see a kitchen other than white. You may want to just respond to this thread with an additional photo as a reply rather than creating multiple threads.

Great pendant over the island

• kksmama
    10 years ago

This looks lovely! Thank you for sharing. What are your counters? How tall are those uppers, looks like more than 42"? I think the easiest way to post multiple pictures is to upload them to a photo bucket.com account and upload the html code from there.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Pic from other thread, part 2.

• romy718
    10 years ago

Pic from other thread, part 3.

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Your granite is gorgeous, as are your cabinets! That wood is so rich looking!

• dutty
    10 years ago

Wow. So very beautiful. I love the rich brown cabinets and the way they work with the granite... makes me rethink my white cabs. :D

• mudhouse_gw
    10 years ago

OK, found this thread with all your pics together! I love your granite with your rich cabinets, and the movement in the granite is wonderful.

Is the stained glass fixture hanging over your island an antique?

• deedles
    10 years ago

Very classy looking kitchen re-do! Your hanging light is gorgeous, btw... really beautiful!

• gr8daygw
    10 years ago

Beautiful, love the granite and the cabinets are really great looking.

• francoise47
    10 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I love your granite and your cabinets.

• Cindy103d
    10 years ago

Absolutely beautiful! Love the wood floors with the cabinets, and the counter is gorgeous.

• carree
    10 years ago

Love, love the cabinets. A very rich depth of color. Congrats. You chose well.

• m2dougherty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The fixture over the island is a Tiffany reproduction. We have had it for 30 years. I think it is called Water Lily. It is not a true antique but it is very well made. It may nor really go with this kitchen but it was hanging in this spot already and I left it there.

The cabinets are all custom sizes. The cabinet makers came up with the design for us with ideas from my husband. The upper cabinets measure 50 inches from the ceiling to the bottom of the cabinet. The cabinet makers are very open to making anything you want and often offered to make a cabinet an inch or so deeper to suit the need.

There is a pipe run in the corner of the main kitchen to the right of the stove. The boxed in area extends from the ceiling to the floor and so had to be accommodated in both the upper and lower cabinets. There was no getting rid of it due to some oddities in the structure of the house.

The pantry are has a sloping ceiling which is why you see the difference in the trim above the cabinets.

This picture may show the granite behind the stove to better advantage. The top of the island is very pretty as well. I just do not have a picture of it as yet.

This granite is very reasonably priced and has resisted staining very well. It is sealed of course. There is an older thread on this forum about Viscount White. Some slabs are shown on it. There is the simpler usual version and also the one with the movement you see here.

Michele222

• romy718
    10 years ago

Gorgeous backspash. Each picture is quite a treat.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

Wow, your granite is gorgeous! So much movement. They did a great job & making it all flow. Your cabinets are so pretty too. Enjoy!

• m2dougherty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We have two of the original cabinet doors that we found in the cellar when we bought the house. They are similar in design to these. The original doors are 60 inches tall. They were likely in the dining room.

The house had been paneled in knotty pine throughout when we bought it. Knotty pine can be nice and has a place but not all over the whole house.

Michele222

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

You really have a magnificent kitchen. The cabinets are some of the most beautiful I've seen on GW. Also, the way they complement the doorways and window trim make the cabinets look original to the house. Did you enlarge the window area over the sink? I covet that window and all the natural light. All the rave reviews on your lovely granite and the light fixture are well deserved.
    All the stainles caught my eye, as well. with their great design--the Orca sink, range and range hood. Do you plan on putting a light inside the hutch? Thank you for going to all the hard work of posting so we can have the treat of enjoying your reveal.

• farmhousemom
    10 years ago

Beautiful! You did a great job!

• kksmama
    10 years ago

Thanks for the name of the stone, it is gorgeous. I think bringing it up for your backsplash was genius.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

Love this kitchen, and that granite is one of my favorites! Were you planning on finding different switch plates? That's the one thing that is discordant. Maybe ones to match the trim on the window and door? Maybe someone has a better idea on that.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Absolutely stunning! I am particularly smitten with your stunning cabinets. Are they cherry? I also love how you ran the gorgeous viscount white as a backsplash behind the range. Thank you for sharing.

• m2dougherty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The window over the sink has a story to it. When we bought the house there was an awkward sort of awning window over the sink. We chose this window 26 years ago. The room was very dark and we wanted more light. We finally found some pictures of the house as it was originally built. There used to be a pair of double hung windows in this spot. We would have used double hungs if we had known. When we decided to redo the kitchen we just left this window as it is.

Yes, the switch and outlet plates are an issue. I have been considering painting them the color of the wall. The wall paint is C2 Paint's Salt Water. I really like it so if you all hate it don't tell me.I also found a place to order cherry ones made up. We just went with the ivory while we made up our minds. I tried finding granite covers for the wall behind the stove but they just did not work out and we are used to the shiny black ones now.

I have a cherry cover for the outlet on the island but I discovered that the outlet had to be a GFI type after I had ordered the other type. Must now custom order the correct one and stain to match. we have some of the stain which was custom made by the cabinet makers.

The Cabinet makers had a sample door in this style in their shop. There is an applied cove molding on the inside of the styles and rails on the doors around the center panels. These are similar to the original cabinet doors we found in the basement. We loved the brown stain on the natural cherry and the cove molding. It seems to go with a 1903 shingle style house in new England.

Yes, we have LED under cabinet lighting in both rooms and on the inside of the glass door cabinets. My husband was all over it for the design of the LED lighting and the height of the backsplashes. He had them made higher than usual and I like it too. I am not all that good at visualizing things. He is much better at it. He and the head granite man spent forever laying the templates out on our slabs. It was great that they were so in tune. I love how it turned out.

Angie at Taylor Made helped us so much with the design and her husband Bob was willing to work around our odd areas. We really liked that the cabinet makers also install the cabinets and put on the handles as well. There is a little rope detail around the knobs and pulls that may not show in the pictures. I must have looked at every knob and handle in the world before deciding on these from Home Depot. Our neighbor told me that she had been too overwhelmed by her kitchen redo to settle on her pulls and handles and so chose some that were inexpensive. then when/if she changed them she would not feel too bad about the cost. So far she still has the less expensive ones and they look great in her kitchen.

I love the Orca sink. I use the bottom and right side interior grids all the time. The soap dispenser does not exactly match the stainless color of the faucet. It is from Delta but is the Victorian style. You do not really notice the difference. I LOVE the Never MT for the soap. I would never have known about it if not for you.

So should I try painting the switch and outlet plates the same color as the walls?

We owe all of you so much for your help through all of this.

Michele222

• m2dougherty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Also, we tried so hard to not have any outlets on the granite behind the stove. We had a devil of a time trying to persuade the electrician that we did not want any there and that we did not need any there either. We were willing to have one on the pretty much unseen side of the pipe chase but it was a no go with the code or his understanding of it anyway. Putting outlets on the underside of the cabinets was also a no go for some reason.

I have thought of trying to faux finish covers to blend with the granite. I have a friend who lives at something of a distance who does this sort thing as part of her business.
    Maybe I could hire her to give it a try? Do any of you think that we should try to blend the outlet covers in with the granite?

Michele222

• laughablemoments
    10 years ago

You have a truly lovely kitchen! The attention that you and your cabinet makers gave your work just shines. : )

Is that a soapstone wood stove I see in there?

"There is an applied cove molding on the inside of the styles and rails on the doors around the center panels. These are similar to the original cabinet doors we found in the basement. We loved the brown stain on the natural cherry and the cove molding. It seems to go with a 1903 shingle style house in new England. "

I'm intrigued by the idea of the cove molding on your doors! Is there any chance you would be able to do a close-up photo of this detail? This sounds like it would fit very well in the kitchen we are preparing to do for a house build in 1897. I'm also thinking that this might be a little easier to clean than a shaker framed door with 90 degree edges.

Well done! Thank you so much for sharing. : )

Oh, and one more thing. If the outlet covers are bothering you, could you simply paint them the dominant gray color of the granite? That would help them blend more. IMO, this would help them to disappear more than painting them the wall color.

• countryatheart
    10 years ago

Very pretty kitchen, so warm and welcoming. Love all the details. Thanks for sharing.

• louislinus
    10 years ago

Beautiful! The way they put the sweeping granite over the stove is true artistry. It definitely shows thoughtful installation and design.

If it was me I think I'd try just putting up white outlet covers first before going through the trouble and expense of having something custom done. I think the white would blend okay and I think I'd prefer it on the granite too instead of the black.

• suzanne_sl
    10 years ago

Not only do I not hate the wall paint color, I love it! I've heard of people painting their switch plates to match the wall color, but I wonder if the paint tends to get bumped off? What the heck, it's cheap so try it. If it doesn't work out, you've lost a whole $1.50 and can try something else.The black ones on the granite look OK to me. I think I'm in love with your granite.

• m2dougherty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will have my husband take a close up of the cabinet door detail this evening and post it here.

I had meant painting the ivory colored outlet covers on the painted portion of the wall. I can go buy some white or gray covers and try them out.

The old fashioned looking heating stove in the picture is a Hearthstone black enamel gas log stove with granite tiles. It would be hard to replace all of the tiles to match the kitchen without taking the stove apart so we are just ignoring the difference. It gives us good heat when we lose power and we enjoy it on cold mornings.

Michele222

• girlromin
    10 years ago

Wow - this is so inspiring for me! We are planning quartersawn oak cabinets, oak floors, and white granite - it's wonderful to see how your beautiful kitchen. Your layout also appears similar to mine. Can you tell me the aisle width between your island and sink? What is behind the stools? Is that where the second photo (coffee/MW) fits in? Thanks so much!

• m2dougherty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The space between the island and the sink is 48 inches. We love quarter sawn oak as well. it was a tough decision.

Right behind the island is our fridge. The cabinet makers made a box for our Samsung counter depth fridge. I have a picture of that as well. The wall that crosses the stairway is still a full spectrum paint color called Honeysuckle. I have to decide whether to go with the Salt Water color all the way into what we call the little living room. It is a front parlor/entryway with a bay window. The thing is that I bought some William Morris design Golden Lily Minor fabric on eBay a while back. It is called minor as it is a scaled down version of the original design. It has a greenish/grayish background. The Ellen McKinnon Honeysuckle paint color goes all the way up the stairs and all around the upstairs hallway. The back hall which you can see a little is not done yet. I thought that I would use the Salt Water color in there as well with bead board halfway up.

We found some goldish brown colored bead board under the knotty pine when we took it down. There was only a bit of it here and there so not worth saving if we could not match it. I had seen the same color in the kitchen areas of homes in Newport, RI.

The cabinet makers sent me a picture of the door molding up close. I am trying to send it to the list.

The dark colored baseboard you can see in the picture is original to the house. The stairway and all the trim originally was colored with dye in shellac to look like mahogany. The past owners painted or had it painted in a soft green color. The trouble was that it was not properly primed and the paint alligatored meaning that it was all cracked with the dark reddish brown color showing through. I stripped the entire stair case and the second story surround. The wood was poplar underneath. It was a great deal of work and took a long time, The balusters are turned with a lot of ins and outs. I spent a lot of time on them. I found a great guy who used to do yacht refinishing. he had done some high end work in historic homes. He was kind enough to agree to finish our stairway because I had done a really good job of stripping it. He and a helper did a bit more work in the grooves and were able to make it all match using a stain called modern walnut by Zar. My husband manufactured some new trim to fill in here and there and the finishers were able to get the new and the old wood to match. I mention that they were kind enough to do it because when I told him that I would recommend him to people to redo their staircases he said that he only had one staircase a year in him so he was used up for a while!
    We just take the position the stairway and surrounding trim are antiques and a thing all their own.

Here is a picture of the fridge. the cabinet people wanted to bring it up to the ceiling but my husband wanted to put his TV on top as he likes to watch while he cooks.

The brass outlet cover is from a while back. have to decide what to do now.

Michele222

• m2dougherty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the close up of the molding,

The braided rugs are old and getting shabby. I just have them to protect the floors through this endless winter. The rug on the stairway is a wool sisal like rug. The stair also goes down two steps into the from parlor on the other side.
    The door to the left of the fridge goes to the stone and brick cellar.

Michelle222

• laughablemoments
    10 years ago

Beautiful!! Thank you so much for including the extra pictures, Michelle222. I love the story about your stairwell refinisher. LOL

I would have loved having a soap stone stove in our kitchen during this frigid winter. : ) That must be so cozy.

• crl_
    10 years ago

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing.

• westsider40
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is elegant. I love hearing about how you both made each decision. After all, creating this kitchen room is the cumulative result of hundreds of small and large decisions. The colors, the veining, the wood striations, --putting it together is art. You guys did a magnificent job. Thank you for posting.

• Linda
    10 years ago

What a gorgeous, timeless kitchen! Your cabinets are exquisite, and I love the granite. It all goes together so well!

• michoumonster
    10 years ago

beautiful! it is amazing how much your cabinet finish matches your windows too! everything ties in so well. congrats!

• chiefy
    10 years ago

oh, that's a gorgeous kitchen! I love the deep wood color. And the granite is beautiful.

I feel like maybe oldbat photocopied her tile and decoupaged it onto the outlet cover? That might work for you just to make them less obtrusive. (Although really, no one's focusing on the outlets, everything else is so stunning!)

• m2dougherty
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much about the photo copy idea! I would never have thought of it on my own.

I so appreciate all of the help I have received here.

Michele222

• kateshome
    10 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful! The cabinets have such a rich, warm look to them and the granite is stunning. We are in the process of a kitchen remodel and I will have white cabinets. When I look at your beautiful cabinets I hope I will be happy with the white!