Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atomics_gw

backsplash recommendations with raven caesarstone??

atomics
12 years ago

Hi all! I'm trying to find a backsplash tile that works well with caesarstone raven. I had my heart set on bardiglio, which is a blue/gray travertine tile. Unfortunately, the raven caesarstone seems to have some gold or warm tones whereas the tile has cool colors. Does anyone have caesarstone in raven? If so, what backsplash did you choose? There's too many choices yet I can't find ONE! Thank you for your help!

Comments (18)

• theanimala
    12 years ago

We have Caesarstone Raven, and we did a simple white glass backsplash. Sounds like you are looking for something with more color / texture. What's nice about Raven is it's very neutral so you should be able to blend it with practically anything in my opinion.

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

So so pretty.

• atomics
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! Did you use misty carrara caesarstone on your island? We're trying to find the right countertop to go on our island, which will be 11' long and shaped like a soft "j". I wasn't sure if the misty carrara would look dirty based on the small sample.

I love your backsplash. I originally wanted glass subway tile. If I could break it up somehow like you did, I would use it. It feels a little more modern than I want otherwise. I think I'll end up with a tumbled white 2" x 4" tile, if I can find it :)

Thank you!

• theanimala
    12 years ago

Thanks. We did use Misty Carrera on the island, with a mitered edge to make it look like it's twice as think as the rest of the countertop. To me it doesn't look dirty (unless we have it covered with nonsense which is often).

Regarding the backsplash we definately went for a modern / transitional look, so I can understand the glass not being for you. I would think a tumbled white tile would look great against the Raven and have a very nice contrast.

• Bobby99
    12 years ago

I have Caesarstone Raven with 2X4 marble subway tiles that are called Milky Way. I really like them - it has blue-gray tones and faint yellow tones, so I find it ties in really well with the counter.

• cottonpenny
    12 years ago

Bobby - what a lovely backsplash! We are considering raven for our perimeter with our creamy white cabinets and I wanted marble but I'm not sure Carrera may be too cool...where did you get the milky way tiles? Are your cabinets cream? They look so in the picture.

Theanimala - I love your kitchen! We are doing a similar scheme, I think, with white perimeter/raven counters and espresso island/misty carrera counters. I am looking at your pictures as inspiration!

• Bunny
    12 years ago

Theanimala, your kitchen is gorgeous, esp. the tiles behind your range. Spectacular!

What color are your cabs? Mine are a similar shade and I also have dark gray Caesarstone (Smoky Ash), which has a little more movement than Raven. There's also a bit of a putty element in there.

I had been leaning towards a warmer backsplash, with subtle gold shading, but have gotten negative feedback on the board and am reconsidering. I know, I know, it's my kitchen and I must go with what I love. I'm not sure I've seen anything I love that works super well in my kitchen and am now inclined to fall back to something more neutral, whiter, something-er. Not sure. Back to the tile shops for me today.

What worries me is overdosing on white (or cream, etc.). Since your b/s is glass and very reflective, do you find that it has more interest as it reflects back the objects (and people) who pass before it?

• Bobby99
    12 years ago

Cottonpenny, the cabinets are BM Monterey White, which is so creamy I'm not sure they should call it white - yellow might be more appropriate :) This was a kitchen update, not a gut, so I expect when I have the cabinets sprayed I'll lighten the colour to mascarpone or similar.

The tiles are by Olympia, and I went with them because I also thought Carrera was too cold. I'm in Canada, but I think Olympia is an American company, so I bet they're available everywhere.

• atomics
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bobby ~ Love the backsplash! I think I looked into that line, but that was before I was totally sold on the raven caesarstone. I think I need to take a second look! thanks so much for posting!

• atomics
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bobby ~ Is the backsplash tile 2" x 4" or mini-bricks (1" x 2")? The more I look at it, the more I love it. I'm going back to the tile place tomorrow :)

• theanimala
    12 years ago

linelle, our cabinets are Shiloh brand in Soft White. Regarding the glass backsplash, it really is not reflective at all. It does reflect light in that it seems a bit brighter then normal when the undercabinet lights are on, but it does not reflect images at all. I never noticed until you asked so I got up close to see if I could see myself and nothing at all. It really acts like a regular old subway backsplash in that respect.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I don't have raven but I believe raven is similar to
    many dark black granites.
    Maybe one of these backsplashes would appeal.
    ~boxer

• atomics
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you boxerpups! I really like the tile in the third photo. Does it look like glass or ceramic? I'm trying to stay away from glass because it's a little too modern for me. I can't seem to find the exact right shade of gray blue in a ceramic tile. The closest I've come is Olympia Silver Gray but it's a little too gray rather than blue. Ugh!

Do you know any places that have a huge selection of ceramic tile? I'm either going with the ceramic or marble. Thanks so much!

http://s620.photobucket.com/albums/tt283/boxerpups22/White%20kitchens/?action=view&current=92cc5206.jpg

• Bobby99
    12 years ago

Atomics, thanks for you lovely comments! I've been suffering from a little bit of post-reno doubt, so it's great to hear something positive. The tiles are 2X4 and come on sheets, though I believe Milky Way comes in mini bricks as well. I also found that the tiles on the sample board at the store were almost pure white, and not at all like the actual boxes that arrived. I was pleased with the colour, but I could see it being a bit shocking if you saw the sample and had been hoping for white.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Bobby, I love your backsplash too. Is yours tumbled or polished? Also, do you have a finished kitchen strand with more pictures? I missed it. Thanks!

• cottonpenny
    12 years ago

Bobby - how much pink is in it? The Olympia website said grey, tan and pink veining and that scares me a bit...

• Bobby99
    12 years ago

Pink?? That would scare me too! I don't find there is any pink, but I'll take a close-up shot of the tile tomorrow morning when the light is better and maybe it will give you a better idea of the veining (it's been so dark and gloomy lately that the colour has been off in my photos - grrr February).

I still have a few things that need to be done so I haven't taken many photos yet, but I will! The tile is honed, BTW.

• Bobby99
    12 years ago

Here is a close-up of the backsplash with the light off:

And here with the light on: