Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rcoop_gw

Can you tell me the pros/ cons of a leather finish on granite?

rcoop
11 years ago

I have been looking for information on leather finishes on granite. It has been hard to find much information.

Our local fabricator has a remnant of crema typhoon with leather finish that will work perfectly for our island. My DH loves it and really has liked the leather look on several display slabs he saw.

Is there anything I need to know about a leather finish and its care that is different? Also do you need to avoid certain edges?

I would love to see pictures of your leather finish granite or anyone with crema typhoon. It has been hard to find anything that looks like what we saw.

This post was edited by rcoop on Sun, Feb 17, 13 at 19:01

Comments (67)

• banana121
    8 years ago

Im considering a leather finish bacca bianca granite for the kitchen, but concerned if it will stain easier or not withstand hot pots, would like to get others experience on this, thank you.

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

I just got to visit the granite place that would be doing ours and... we loved the leather finish. We decided that is the route we plan to go.

Russ

• r2d2indy r2d2indy
    8 years ago

does that finish cost more ? Also can that be done later on an installed granite? Just checking..

• Russ Barnard
    8 years ago

I am sure it can be done later.. but it would cost a lot more as they would have to figure out a way to remove the granite I am sure. We were TOLD it would cost about $5 per sq ft more for the leathered look, but I am sure the costs vary.

Russ

• tpowers1951
    8 years ago

We are considering leather texture on our new counters. Is there a problem with the seams matching up? Do the seams show more because of the different textures meeting at a seam?

• rws252
    8 years ago

I am also curious about the seam on leather finish granite. Can anyone comment on the visibility of the seams as compared to a polished finish?

• Docter Dibley
    8 years ago

I had never thought of leathered granite but find the above photos stunning. So different and richer looking than the shiny granite most get.

• Janet Campbell
    7 years ago

One comment above asked about pricing - just an fyi. granite is divided into categories 1 - 8 1 being the lowest price and usually the more consistent patterns and 8 being the most costly and more exotic patterns. If you want the granite you choose leathered, you move up one category - so a 1 level granite when leathered would be priced as a level 2 granite. Not sure if that is how it is done all over but I would assume very similar. It is a different process for finishing so more money. We are looking at getting granite now and I am thinking that the glossy finish may be getting near the end of it's course and the duller leathered effect will be more timely or so I hope. I just personally like it more. I am finding however that it is the dark colors that are leathered locally. Anyone have light colors in their home and if so, how does it look? Any pics? Thanks

• bluegirl63
    7 years ago

Just installed leathered Colonial White granite in my kitchen. I absolutely love it. Never had granite before but many friends have and I'm so glad I picked the leathered finish. I love the feel and can't stop touching it, the same reaction visitors have.

• Alicia
    7 years ago

I would love to see a picture. I like the colonial white.

• Thompson Davis
    7 years ago

What about balancing a wine glass, wine bottle, laptop computer, etc. on this somewhat irregular surface? Do things wobble? Our kitchen counters will include a peninsula which will be our breakfast table, buffet, work surface for paperwork etc. and really the social center of our house. We have found a leathered granite called Nevada Black and it is just gorgeous.

• User
    7 years ago

Oh heck no.. not at all. We have lived with it now for like 4 months.. it was probably in the top 3 best choices we made on the house. Guaranteed, we will never use another counter that is done differently.

• Russ Barnard
    7 years ago

Holy cow.. I just realized I have 2 accounts on here! lol.. I need to keep this one and ditch the other.. hehe

That was me saying the above statement.. I am Russ and I agree with this ad!

lol

R

• blfenton
    7 years ago

Russ - Have you posted final pictures of your kitchen/house yet?

• atiman
    7 years ago

Those of you with leathered finish, can I see pictures of a leathered edge and ones with a honed edge with a leathered top?

One granite company is $15 less a sq ft for the honed edge with leathered top. I'm wondering how much will I notice the edge difference. For us the savings is quite substantial.

• Anon Username
    7 years ago

Other than the texture, what are the benefits of leathered vs honed? They are both matte. Does leathered have less maintenance, better durability, or something like that?

• bluegirl63
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Leathered is textured, honed is smooth. Both are matte. No difference in maintenance. Here is a pic of my leathered granite countertop (colonial white). (sorry it's an odd angle). I went with a more contemporary straight edge.

• stu2900
    6 years ago

Do you lose the sparkle with leathered granite? One of the things DH likes most about the granite we chose is the sparkle. But, he also wants it leathered. Can he have both?

• adparker53
    6 years ago

@bluegirl63 can I see pictures of the rest of your kitchen?? We just put a deposit down on colonial white leathered and have it installed in about two-three weeks. I am still debating if I want to do the cabinets in grey or white..would love to see some inspo!

• bluegirl63
    6 years ago

@Stu2900 - mine doesn't have a lot of sparkle but what there is, is still visible with the leathering.

• PRO
    House Of Cabinetry
    6 years ago

With "leathered" you will need to seal it a lot more often to keep it from staining easily, etc. There is also a loss in the depth of colors overall. It's also not recommended if you are going to be doing a lot of writing on it. The leathered finish will help with hiding fingerprint markings though.

• beachem
    6 years ago

For colorful stone, there is a loss of color. Certain stone will look washed out vs the polished or even honed. Others look amazing and 3D.

Our stone color became washed out even with the enhancer. The feel though is soft.

• Russ Barnard
    6 years ago

Personally, I really like the leathered look and have had numerous people come out specifically to see what it looks like. We lose a lot of the "green" and "Gold" tints in the Uba Tuba we have, but we also lose the friggin glare, and let me tell ya, that would have been blinding :P

It is a small trade-off.. sometimes, but not always.

• lolauren
    6 years ago

"With "leathered" you will need to seal it a lot more often to keep it from staining easily, etc" Is this true for lighter granites? Maybe... but it's not true for my black leathered granite. (That might be obvious, but just in case...) We've never sealed ours and don't intend to.

• op_mama
    6 years ago

We have a leathered black granite that looks like soapstone but without the maintenance. It's pretty much bulletproof. Love it! http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/4533919/finished-kitchen-reveal-classic-white-black-brass-and-marble

• Cheryl Hewitt
    6 years ago

Same here as lolauren. I have leathered (the granite shop called it suede) American Black granite on my perimeter and it's a dream. No finger smudges, no glare.

• lilly777
    6 years ago

I am considering using the same granite on counter top and Island, but having Island weathered. I would like the opinion of people that have lived with it for a while.

• Marie Christine Schiavone
    6 years ago

I have my black absolute leathered granit counter top for the last 2 weeks and it has water stains on it even though the granite was sealed twice in front of me. I attach a picture.

• Jerry McAllister
    5 years ago

We installed leathered viscount in our kitchen about a year ago. Here's what it looks like in polished on the left and a full slab of leathered on the right.

It's a pretty big difference and hopefully anyone that is considering leathered can find a few slabs to view in person at the stone yard. Pictures don't really do it justice.

Pros

We found that stains hide much better on the matte surface. So much so that we miss smaller ones from time to time and it's a mystery as to where they came from by the time we notice them. They still clean right up though.

We also have learned that it's easier to maintain. Quite a few of our friends have polished granite and the only time it's shiny is right after it's cleaned. Even something as small as fingerprints or as large as grease splatters from pan frying quickly dull the surface. Of course that stuff cleans right up and the shine can be restored, but it seems like a lot of work to me to constantly be shining up my countertop.

Any color can be leathered but I think it looks best in stones that are black & white mottled like in the ones in this image gallery on Architypes.

Cons

There's definitely a part of me that wants a shiny kitchen work surface. I so love that shiny look, and if you do too you're going to have to make a choice between the look you love the most, or a matte finish that you'll like too. In the end you just might not love it as much, but over time you'll come to appreciate it more and more.

I felt the choice was easy for me because I do a lot of cooking and having to constantly keep after my counter just didn't appeal to me. Smudges and moisture left behind from moving around hot and cold pots and pans isn't a worry. I just keep cooking and wipe everything down when I'm done.

• mdanback
    5 years ago

I'm thinking of getting leathered granite for a bathroom. Has anyone/do you know of anyone who has used it in a bathroom? If so, would appreciated your comments/suggestions.

• Melissa Baxter
    5 years ago
    I’m looking at a black leathered granite slab. I’ve done so much research on different countertops and I was hoping this would be the answer. Does anyone have an update on how their counters held up?
  • Russ Barnard
    5 years ago

We have had ours for 1.5 years and we still love them. Any top you use will soak up oils, water, etc.. and the colors, I think, over time will change a little...but, this hides anything..blemishes etc....and is so easy to maintain. No glare. No fingerprints etc.

I would not have changed a thing.

Russ

• Cheryl Hewitt
    5 years ago

I agree with Russ.

• Jordan E
    5 years ago

When I look for pictures of our counters I realize how few we have! Ha... this is black leathered granite. LOVE is an understatement. I despise shiny surfaces. Especially with the look I wanted - dark counters with white cabinets - I knew I’d be so upset about fingerprints. We’ve had them for about a year and a half now and I’m still in love. Also, I love that I could get an inexpensive granite and have it feel so special. Everyone asks what it is and comments that it’s so cool! Here in Denver, there was no additional cost for the leathered look. I’d do it over and over!

• Kimberly Dumoulin
    5 years ago

This is exactly what my color scheme will be with the same shaker cabinets...what "color" granite is this. And I love the leathered look! I go today to find my granite. I know I want black/dark color...

• Jordan E
    5 years ago

I can’t remember exactly what color it is. It’s black something... ha! Here’s what I know, it’s pretty much all black with no veining or variatio. It’s HEAVY! I know all granite is but our fabricator told us it’s one of the most dense granites. It also sounds almost like steel when you set a glass on it... again from the density. I originally wanted soapstone and got this instead and I’m so so happy.

• Kimberly Dumoulin
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

probably absolute black....thank you...kinda! LOL That whole description is the exact thing my husband wants in what we choose...durable, heavy, dense. If you happened to find the name and or receipt please follow up! Thank you so much for quick response.

• Russ Barnard
    5 years ago

I think the color is Uba Tuba. I know ours looks identical to that. Let's see if I can find a pic.. ok, this was when it was being built.

This is a little brighter

• Jordan E
    5 years ago

Yep I texted my fabricator and it’s leathered absolute black! Best of luck!

• theresams
    5 years ago

Leathered granite is lovely, and I do like the look and feel of it. I agree with others, it does evoke many comments, usually positive, some perplexed because they’ve never seen it before. I only have one complaint, and it’s quite annoying, the sounds when you slide anything across it. It’s loud and highly annoying, so much so that it would be. Deal breaker for me in the future.

• Janet
    5 years ago
    Sort of like hitting those rumble strips on the side of the highway?
  • atiman
    5 years ago

I love mine. I would not go back to shiny granite ever again. I get so many compliments on it, too. It’s easy to cleanup, which I thought could be a problem, but it is not at all.

• theresams
    5 years ago

Yes, it’s loud. I’m not saying you shouldn’t love it or that it’s hard to clean, and I, too, get many compliments. Want to know what it sounds like? Take a small plate to a showroom that has a piece and slide it across. We have the leather at our lake house and polished at home, and I like both, the leather because it’s unique, the shiny because it’s so beautiful in my newly remodeled kitchen. My mother-in-law, who is 94, comes to the lake with us and slides EVERYTHING across the leathered granite surface, and by the end of the day my nerves are frazzle.d. Just know what you’re buying and be okay with it. Both are wonderful choices, as far as I’m concerned.

5 years ago

My counters have many stains. they have been sealed twice. Which products do you use to seal your hem and clean! I clean them with a mild dish soap and water as suggested and granit cleanser.

• darlene christianson
    5 years ago

anyone have leathered granite on their islands and quartz on the back counter area ? Ideas

• atiman
    5 years ago

Darlene Christianson - I have the opposite of what you’re asking. Dark grey leathered on the perimeter and white with gray quartz on the island.

• HU-137276181
    5 years ago
    Yes Darlene that is exactly what I did in my new build. Steel grey leathered island and Calacatta Verona on the perimeter. I'm very happy with the look.
  • HU-737553817
    5 years ago

I am considering steel grey leathered on my countertops and was warned that leathered does not get sealed and there was a question as to food safety. Anyone have any info on these questions? Thanks

5 years ago

I have black absolute leathered counter tops and have been having so many issues with them. the Procider finally agreed to remove them have them polished and reinstall them

• Rae
    5 years ago

Marie,

What kinds of problems are you having with your black leathered counter tops? I am considering leathered (or antiqued) Cambrian Black granite. Thanks!