Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

GE Artistry Stove - good example of style over substance

Debbie Downer
10 years ago

Well got the new stove today.

My first reaction is - disappointment. Now I understand why they marketed this to Millenials and not Boomers. We Boomers value authenticity, and while it may have a sorta vintage-ish look, what with the clock and the general electric decal and all.... the quality of construction is very much circa 2014. The doors are solid enough, but the metal parts that dont' show - back panel, drawer construction, are noticeably more thin and flimsy than those in my 15 year old stove that this replaced.

OK - I can handle that. I looked hard at a lot of stoves in the $500-$1000 range, and basically the more expensive ones had more frills and features, but construction-wise, quality all about the same.

What really worries me is - this thing is going to be a PITA to keep clean. The oven is manual clean, and the instructions say "do not use oven cleaners, abrasive cleaners, strong liquid cleaners, steel wool, scouring pads or cleaning powders on the interior of oven. Clean with a mild soap and water or 50/50 solution of vinegar and water. Rinse with clean water and dry with a soft cloth. When cleaning surfaces make sure that they are at room temperature and not in direct sunlight."

Are they freakin serious? OK, I understand no steel wool, but plastic scrubbies? Mild soap? In what universe do you not get burnt on crud INSIDE AN OVEN??????

Is this typical of all stoves - if so please educate me. I didn't have to baby the 15 year old stove that this replaces.

SIGH. If I had known I couldn't use oven cleaner I would have sprung for something with steam clean. Cant believe I fell for the hype - oh well!

This post was edited by kashka_kat on Fri, Feb 28, 14 at 19:04

Comments (6)

• lisadlu
    10 years ago

No Easy Off??? Can you return it for something else? If not, I would cautiously try Easy Off in a small area or at least call the manufacturer and ask why you can't use Easy Off. :(

• carree
    10 years ago

So, I can top this. I mortgaged my children's future (ok, slight exaggeration), on a kickass 48 inch colored Bluestar. No clock, no timer, no self clean. The only consolation is the fact that supposedly the self clean feature shortens the life span of the stove. And I am planning to get a full 200'000 miles out of her. P.S. If fact, I have used hot heat and boiling water in a pan with vinegar to clean. Not great but not so horrible Either.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

Likewise, my Wolf specifies no oven cleaner ... mild soap and water. The interior doesn't appear to look much different than the ancient oven it replaced, but maybe the materials just aren't durable enough to handle those caustic cleaners any longer. I haven't used it enough to warrant a big cleaning, but do wonder how I'll handle it when the time comes. I know that soap and water isn't going to cut it.

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all - oddly, I feel better knowing that other people with manual-clean ovens have the same dilemma!

The product description says the cooktop is porcelain, but doesn't mention the interior of the oven or oven door, which makes me suspect those are just some sort of less durable sprayed on enamel.....?

Sure wish I had my old 1950s stove I had a while back - all surfaces on that thing were glossy white fired-on porcelain, except inside the oven which was this wonderful dark blue and white granite porcelain. Looked almost new. Now THAT's a vintage stove. I would not complain about having one of those PINK Bluestars either!

This post was edited by kashka_kat on Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 12:47

• Debbie Downer
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ps - what exactly is a "mild soap" anyway. It cant be dish detergent, because that's what's specified for the glass window.

Is there any reason why I shouldn't put aluminum foil under baking dishes (on rack, or on bottom blocking vents)

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

kashka_kat, my manual says that aluminum foil can melt and stick to the porcelain if placed on the bottom of the oven. I always threw a sheet of aluminum foil on the bottom of my old oven and it never stuck. I haven't tried it with this one. If I am cooking something that might seep over the edge (my stew does this sometimes), I will put a cookie sheet on the lowest rack to catch any random drips.

I've tried to adopt a new approach to oven cleaning ... rather than wait until the oven actually needs cleaning, I wipe it down with warm soapy water (yes, dish soap) every three or four uses, whether it needs it or not (after the oven has cooled).