Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Want to repurpose 1 kitchen cabinet for sentimental reasons.

Posted by seaswirl (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 25, 13 at 18:50

My house (the interior) was destroyed in Hurricane Sandy. My father custom built the kitchen cabinets back in 1963. He was a businessman and read books on building (he actually built the whole house). They are (were) beautiful for all these years, but since the flood, I can't really use them. I am so sad to let them go, so I thought of maybe repurposing one of them. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Want to repurpose 1 kitchen cabinet for sentimental reasons.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I am very sentimental and know I would be heartbroken the things very special to me.

I don't know if it's an upper or base cabinet, but if it's a base you could have it make up one end of a desk (with a deep table top going across it with two nice table legs on the other end.

Here is another one where they made it into a sort of sofa table that is very pretty. http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/before-after-re-1-156778

Here are some more pieces of furniture build out of cabinets: http://pinterest.com/dana_beam/repurposing-projects/

Here is a link that might be useful: Ideas for cabinet doors

o

no suggestions here but I am so sorry for your losses and everything you have had to go through.

Susan

o

So sorry for all you've lost. If they're uppers, could you hang them above your washer/dryer for storage of laundry items? Or above a flat desk area (maybe add open shelving if needed too)? Or above a workspace in a crafting or hobby area?

Hard to say without a pic. How cool that he built the house though!

o

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Even though it can't be a kitchen cab, could it be used in the basement or garage? In my neighborhood, most people have cabs in the garage that were clearly from the old kitchen. I realize this isn't as sentimental as making something new and lovely, but it would keep one around for you. Or could it become a vanity?

o

A single cabinet that doesn't match could be a message center, used as a bathroom medicine cabinet, in a child's room, garage -- and doors can be used in similar and other ways. You could put two bases together with a top to make a desk, two or more to form an island or a craft table/center Laundry cabinets have been mentioned.

Most of the time, people say the stuff can all be replaced, but your loss is greater than just the structure. I hope you can find a way to use at least one cabinet or possibly several doors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here