Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paintedpeggies

If THIS was your kitchen..

What would you do to it? I hate the configuration, flow, materials...it needsto be lightened up.

The fridge needs to be moved...you can't even open the door all the way!
Maybe to the adjacent wall...move the island...extend the counter on the sink wall...

Here is the other wall across from the island, when you first walk in the kitchen. I think it is screaming for a pantry. The desk is not there anymore.

Thoughts? I am overwhelmed!

Comments (11)

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

it needs connection to an adjacent area of the home/what is through the walls? Can you open up a wall?

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I think you really need to post an overhead schematic (with dimensions) of the space.

• cottagewithroses
    11 years ago

What's on the other side of your range? If that is not a doorway, maybe the refrigerator could be placed there. If it is a doorway, then I would turn the refrigerator around so it faces the sink wall and move it back to be even with your island. Have a bookcase type of cabinet behind it to screen it from what seems to be the eating space.

This would make your island a peninsula. And, make sure you have a few inches between the refrigerator and the wall, so the door will open as it should. You could put new upper cabinets where the refrigerator is now for more storage by your sink.

Have you considered painting your cabinets? White like the island would look brighter and it would be easier to add new cabients. You could paint everything white and not concern yourself with matching wood tones.

Your stools and pendant lights are very pretty. I would continue that style with the white cabinets and black appliances. Maybe a few miniature roses in the kitchen window, for color.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

How functional is your island?

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

1- The area next to the range does have a doorway that leads into the playroom

2- I no longer have that range or microwave...I couldn't wait any longer for a new stove, and they are both stainless steel.

3- I have three kids, and we LIVE at that island. It is used multiple times every day! We put the island in a few years ago.

4- the wall adjacent to the fridge also has a doorway in it, that leads to my dining room. The kitchen is the middle room on the first floor. When you walk in my front door, it is the first room you see.

5- I love my pendants! We just put them in, so they would likely stay. My kitchen is NEVER this empty. I took this pic right after we completed an addition last year.

Here are some more pics from other angles:

(sorry they are so messy...this kitchen used to be a two-story room that we closed in, so these pics were during renovation...the one with the roses is the view of the front door from the kitchen sink)

view into the playroom from the kitchen:

• breezygirl
    11 years ago

I agree with Angie. A layout of the space drawn to scale (even just grid paper is great) showing windows, doorways and where they lead, etc. is the best way to start.

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

A softer color to brighten things up would help tremendously - yellow, blue, green - something soft but pretty.

• herbflavor
    11 years ago

if you turn the fridge onto the blank wall on the right and create a U, perhaps adjust the island by rotating it and moving it down so you have space to get into fridge. Since you like and use the island you might be able to get a new/bigger top and get more seating around it.Longterm,the floorspace avail without the desk means you could do a much bigger island with seating all around,if the island style of kitchen appeals to you...others would stick to a typical dinette table...

• nosoccermom
    11 years ago

Agree with herbflavor to make a U with the fridge on the wall opposite the range. That way you have a working triangle. Can you still get matching cabinets to fill in the empty space when you move the fridge? If not, perhaps add shelves, like pic below.
    Also, can you rotate and/or make the island larger and move it away from the sink, or will that block your door ways?

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Buehl
    11 years ago

Just to clarify - are you talking about a major remodel (new layout, cabinets, etc.)? Or, are you talking about just moving the refrigerator and/or island and some cosmetic changes?

• Painted Peggies (zone 6a)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was watching House Hunters last night and they had a similar kitchen, but the range and fridge were opposite mine...that idea appealed to me.

I have gone back and forth between major overhaul and minor cosmetic changes.