Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Vintage kitchen design

mtnrdredux_gw
13 years ago

Not sure if this has been posted here before, but I am cleaning out all of my old bookmarks and when I came across this I thought it might be of interest.

Here is a link that might be useful: vintage kitchen

Comments (48)

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

Uber-cool! Thanks so much for posting. I really like the freestanding cabinet that sits off the floor on the 4th picture down of the model kitchen page. It looks very much like the Amishloft cabinets which still remain my favorite in spite of the average cost of $275lf. I wish i could find the same type elsewhere.

• artemis78
    13 years ago

Fun---I saw that eons ago, but hadn't looked at it recently! The book that is linked there ("Art principles in house, furniture, and village building," published in 1921) is also incredible. They test out kitchen plans by mapping out, step-by-step, where you would need to go to do each task, from prep to cleanup and all sorts of cooking, and how efficiently you can do it with the designs. Sounds familiar! (I also think this book is fascinating for its discussion of other elements of house design, too, though that may be in part because it was written by someone living in my area so practically every reference applies to my house---but still, some of that discussion of room purposes and flexibility is just as relevant today!)

This was one of the more interesting finds in our kitchen project---the original plans for our 1915 kitchen:

Cool to compare it to some of those kitchens (and also to what it had been replaced with, and what we then put in).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Artemis, i love the old plans!

For our prior house (well it will be prior, as soon as it sells!) we found a former Newsweek journalist who does house histories. Very cool stuff.

We were really excited that she found an archive that included our original house plans, from 1904. That is, until we looked at them. In all that time only two things had changed! One of the hall baths on the second floor went from being a hall bath to a captive bath, and one other closet became a bathroom. That was it (oh and removing sinks from each bedroom).

A real testament to the house that it worked well for 100+ years without moving any walls or adding any space.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Oh!! Thank you! Thank you! I saw that so long ago I completely forgot it. Put this with the 1949 video and you'd have it all! This is going to cause trouble though. I see things! Lots of things!

hajoca faucets! It looks like a lever to turn on and off! I would have loved a faucet like that. And I still want a couple bread boards. I don't know how I forgot that when I was planning my kitchen.

AND since I didn't buy anything on eBay today, I ordered the Art principles in house, furniture, and village building at amazon.

• cluelessincolorado
    13 years ago

Thanks for the interesting read! Pinch me, funny you should bring up the bread boards because I just started using mine YESTERDAY and wow, does it ever increase my counter space. Enough so I just added one into my kitchen plans. DH and I can practically get to knife wielding to defend our counter spaces in the morning and voila, I doubled mine :)

• ZacsDaddy
    13 years ago

I am happy to say I will be moving away from a vintage kitchen soon! Our house has built in 1936 and the kitchen in 90%+ original -- the only addition is a 18" dishwasher added next to the range (and on the other side of the room from the sink!). The tile color palette is great and the built-in are in good shape for their age -- but alas we are doing a complete gut. We hope to honor the house by doing a very bungalow/30's vibe in the design. Wish us luck!

• John Liu
    13 years ago

If you scroll about 1/2 way down that page, you see a line drawing of some base cabinets whose face has an overhanging angle.

The top row of drawers has faces that are tilted slightly down, so that the top edge of the face protrudes an inch or so further than the bottom edge.

I've seen that detail in vintage kitchens but never in a modern kitchen. What do you think - is it functional? Attractive?

I wonder if it serves the same purpose as a 1'' counter overhang does today.

I'm a sucker for weird details like bombe drawers, this reminds me of that.

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

Pinch - me, you're so funny! Though I downloaded a copy of the book from Google Books after reading the post.

So... talk to me about breadboards? Do you have them inset into the counters? Have one that slides out?

• artemis78
    13 years ago

We had the ones that slide out in the old (vintage) kitchen and I loved them. We were supposed to have them in the new kitchen too, but due to various glitches and miscommunications, we just ended up with standard drawers there instead. I do miss them, but as my husband likes to point out, they would be rather gratuitous in the new kitchen, which has plenty of counter space and no particularly good place for them (versus the old kitchen which had very little counter space so they were pretty critical, and had lots of corners since there were more walls). Personally I prefer the kind that just slide out on wooden glides. I wanted them framed in our new inset cabinets, but for some reason our cabinetmaker had designed them to sit immediately above the drawers so there was no gap between doors and breadboards. We went back and forth on what to do and in the end I actually thought we'd decided that he would try installing them as designed to see if we liked it, but then he showed up with new drawer fronts to fill the space and I was out of energy. C'est la vie. (On the upside, my spices fit in the deeper drawers!) I think the glides are still in there, though, so in theory in the future I could always try ordering them and just cut the top off of the drawer fronts. :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Johnliu,

That is a cool detail. I always love something you dont see in anyone else's kitchen! I assume, though, the two lower drawers are shallower than normal. Plus nowadays most people's top drawers would have flatware or knife or spice inserts ... not making use of the extra space on row 1.

I liked the glass breakfront three images below that one, with the glass cabinet that continues over a window and doorway!

Zacsdaddy - do post before pics!

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Hadn't seen that. Thank you. The stove in the first picture looked like one that was in a farmhouse my grandparents had in Maine for a summer cottage. It reminded me of some cabinets that were in that kitchen. The top cabinets ran down to the counter which had space below but the top of the counter was hinged in front of the cabinet and you reached down in to get things that were in the space below. I don't know the reasoning looking back. It had one of the large farmhouse sinks on legs and the freestanding farmhouse tables to work on. Not much storage in those days. They didn't have all the things that we "need"!

• marcolo
    13 years ago

I wrote a whole post that the forum software ate. Gave me some message that said "Intelligent Programmer Not Found," or "Normal IQ Not Found In This Building" or "Post 1994 Forum Software Not Found," or something..

In any case: I've never seen those drawers in person, so I can't imagine what use they would be. The top of your pile would always be sliding forward when you pulled out the drawers, I would think.

There are some vintage details that are easy to find. Others are not.

One detail I like: Old kitchens of the '20s through '40s with an undermount sink, rather than a farm or freestanding sink, typically have tiled-in sinks with a band of black or colored tile along the front edge of the counter surface. I've been trying to figure out how to replicate this stripe without using tile. Unfortunately most countertop materials won't let you put a seam there, because it weakens the edge.

Here is a link that might be useful: 1920s Vintage Kitchens

• norlandian
    13 years ago

I'm with Marcolo on the usefulness of those drawers with slanted fronts, cool as they look.

Love the ironing board in Artemis's original plan, but have to admit that when I recently dug out our iron (before a funeral) my three-year-old asked, "Mom, what's that?"

Our 1923 plan didn't have the amazing sink drainboards of Artemis's. The clothes chute (C.C.) is long gone. The shadows on the wall (behind the later cabinets) above the range (G.R) showed that the hood was a big barrel type, of the sort done by Modernaire.

The pantry/icebox area was built as an alcove with an arch, and we can't find any evidence that the ice door to the back porch ever existed. When did electric refrigeration come in? Could they have designed the house for ice but then decided to go electric during the building?

{{!gwi}}

Re: breadboards, for ae2ga--we have a small one in the baking area, and it doubles as landing space for the microwave that's in the appliance garage on the left. It's set into the face frame just under the countertop. It doesn't have drawer glides, but rather slides in metal tracks on the sides, so it doesn't touch countertop anywhere. The countertop installer was disturbed that the board is so visible instead of being hidden by the overhang, but I don't mind a bit and find it extremely easy to pull out.

{{!gwi}}

• John Liu
    13 years ago

One detail I like: Old kitchens of the '20s through '40s with an undermount sink, rather than a farm or freestanding sink, typically have tiled-in sinks with a band of black or colored tile along the front edge of the counter surface. I've been trying to figure out how to replicate this stripe without using tile. Unfortunately most countertop materials won't let you put a seam there, because it weakens the edge.

What about an inlay process. If using stone, maybe they can mill a 1/4'' deep recess around the sink edge (like milling out runnels), then laying thin tile in the recess. You can find small tiles of 1/8'' thickness, for mosaic work and other specialized stuff, see link. You can also find 1/8'' marble for floors/walls, and cut it to size. With dark epoxy grout lines of minimal width, the grotty grout issue might be eliminated.

Otherwise, maybe some creative use of dye - if the counter material can be dyed?

Here is a link that might be useful: 3/8'' x 3/8'' x 1/8'' tiles

• marcolo
    13 years ago

I am devoutly committed to NOT guinea-pigging any new forms of fabrication, although I did find one pic that looked like tile had been applied to the cabinet face instead, which was interesting.

Anyway, here's a comparison of vintage and vintage-looking modern kitchens that folks might find interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Contrasts 1920-2010

• artemis78
    13 years ago

I think electric refrigerators were in play by the late 20s and commonplace by the 30s---@mnerg, maybe they converted the ice door to an actual door or something? Is there access there?

Ours never had an ice door at all as far as I can tell from the plans and houses (those are actually our neighbor's plans, but the same family built both and flipped the design; mostly cool because our house has had 10 owners and incremental renovations over the years, but he bought his from the children of the original owners, and they hadn't changed a thing, so we often compare notes!) It was cool to read through the book at the site above and see how many things California people kept in their "cool closets," though, since I restored ours as part of the remodel, so I want to use it more actively/efficiently now. Trying to sort out what really can be left out of the fridge!

The ironing board in ours is the bane of my existence right now, though. It had already been moved in a 1939 remodel and then we took that entire wall out, so there's no place left to put it. We virtually never iron either, but DH really wanted to keep it because he thinks it's cool. So for now, it's in the basement. When we're all the way finished, I'll post photos and y'all can tell me if you spot any perfect places to install it---so far everything we've found blocks a major pathway when it's open. Ugh.

And on those funky drawers---interesting. Maybe just a way to get more storage with a smaller footprint? But it seems like it's the counter that matters more than the base of the cabinet does in terms of getting in the way...would there have been some item that would slide underneath it (buckets for scraps...??)

• marcolo
    13 years ago

I am devoutly committed to NOT guinea-pigging any new forms of fabrication, although I did find one pic that looked like tile had been applied to the cabinet face instead, which was interesting.

Anyway, here's a comparison of vintage and vintage-looking modern kitchens that folks might find interesting.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Contrasts 1920-2010

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

johnliu , I noticed those slanty drawers, too, and wondered if it was worth the effort to construct. Too late THIS time, but.........

ae2ga , I wasn't fast enough, left the book in my cart from 10:30 last night to 4:30 tis morning and lost it! So I downloaded it, too. I had a bunch of stuff I wanted to print on the high class printer at work until we got the speech today about using it too much.

mnerg's breadboard is what I had in mind but I can't do it since my doors and drawer fronts are so close to the counter. All of these spectacular ideas are coming one year too late! No one was doing nostolgic kitchens when I came here. I was the "unusual" kitchen. I think there were just the three of us? circuspeanut, farmhousbound and me?? Was there a fourth? I was the last, they had already done theirs.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

ZacsDaddy- How far are you from Iowa??? I might be parked out your back door when you start hauling stuff to the dumpster!!!

mtnrdredux, you get the credit for me sitting here ALL night tonight following one link to another! That was not my plan when I left for work this morning. I need to get over it. My kitchen is done. Been done for 11 months. Tweaks are permissible but not the things I'm drooling over!

I looked at a lot of 1920ish kitchens tonight. I sure do have a lot of stuff.

It looks to me like they had a kitchen that had a couple of tables, stove and sink. The food was in a cold cellar? And I didn't find the home canned foods. Cold cellar, too? The pantry had the "working" part of the kichen? There wasn't much mention of serving the food. Eat in kitchen or dining room? So many questions, so little time.

• ZacsDaddy
    13 years ago

@Pinch_me: Sorry, all the way in San Francisco. If we can get the old gum wood cabinets out, we're going to craigslist them -- but our GC isn't so sure its possible.

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

I am spending way too much time on this, but I am addicted to the 1920s kitchen. I WANT ONE!

I think the syle would work with the Amish Loft cabinets because they are very similar in style to the bottom half of a Hoosier freestanding cabinet. I'm not really a fan of uppers, but the 1949 kitchen with the corner cabinets with lazy susans is still a great idea - maybe just on the bottom? Though a few uppers would not be too bad I think. Does anyone know of another place to get cabinets like these (link below)?

The style fits best with the Heartland Classic appliances which does have matching stove, refrigerator, and dishwasher; otherwise, panels would have to cover the dishwasher and refrigerator to keep consistency. I think the Bertazzoni Hertiage or the Ilve traditional would also work - maybe the legs are a little off?

I already have a beautiful Shaker drop-leaf table and am planning to get Shaker ladder back chairs with woven seats. Too far off from the 20's do you think? What type of dining chairs?

I think I've fallen off the deep end!

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen cabinets for 1920s period style?

• artemis78
    13 years ago

@ZacsDaddy, if you do successfully get them out, feel free to drop an email---we might be interested (not for kitchen but for dining room; have been hunting for cabinets to match a gumwood piece we got a few years back to put where an old built-in used to be). We're in Oakland.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry, pinch me. I know how that goes. I am just combing through pages and pages of bookmarks, supposedly to cull them, but, well .....

I notice a lot of folks who are done their kitchens still spend time here. Some are professionals, some just have "the sickness". I worry I will be the latter. Totally done and installed, accessories in place, yet unable to resist the temptation to just "check in "....

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

Mtnrdredux, for one, am extremely glad that you are here. My kitchen will owe its period styling to you and Pinch me. I look and look at kitchens, all beautiful, but not at all what I want. Thanks to the two of you, I now know and my research has focus.

If you ever get "cured" I'll hope that you relapse every now and then so that you will come back.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

And yet another on line book! I'm saving as PDF right now. One of these days I'll bring home a couple of reams of paper and print everything off here. My new cartridges arrived today. 2 black and 3 color tanks. And my black laser printer has an almost new tank! It will probably be about the same $$ as buying the books. I'd rather have the books.

ae2ga, I bought a bunch of old magazines and took out the full page ads. I have about half framed for my backsplash. I still need a few 11x14 frames - from the junk store. I had planned new finished kitchen photos this weekend since I never really did post the totally finished kitchen BUT I'm going junking instead because I don't have enough (junk). When I take my finished photos I'll be sure to put my tax refund table cloth on the table. The one I paid $90 for!! I still can't believe I did that. I'm aiming for 1945 and before.

Here is a link that might be useful: On line book!!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Heartland Classic appliances - WAY out of my price range! One gas range and one refrigerator/freezer cost more than my total remodel! How I wish I could. Can't do Big chill either. Is there anything else that doesn't cost multiple thousands of dollars? I want to be ready if/when my refrigerator dies. It's over 10 years old so........

Here is a link that might be useful: Heartland Classic appliances

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

Finding appliances that match the period makes me think an extra year of job #2.

Have you looked at the Smeg? It's 50's style, but it is uber cool and might match with your kitchen, and it's not nearly as expensive as the Heartland.

Here is a link that might be useful: Smeg refrigerator

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Well, Smeg isn't energy star, they're not self defrost and they're just as expensive if you look at the full size. So not those either.

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

**One detail I like: Old kitchens of the '20s through '40s with an undermount sink, rather than a farm or freestanding sink, typically have tiled-in sinks with a band of black or colored tile along the front edge of the counter surface.**

Marcolo, do you have a link or photo of that? It sounds gorgeous, but I can't quite picture it. Waah!

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

PInch me, there's always Craigslist/eBay. You could make a habit of checking them for the fridges you want, and then grab it if it ever shows up at a reasonable price and keep it in the basement until your fridge dies... Or just install it then and there, and put your existing fridge in the basement for back-up...

If you google "craigslist heartland" (or whatever brand name), you can find things on Craigslist that are out of your area. So you might find the fridge 200 miles away or something and need to ship it... but it could make sense, depending on the sale price.

The other thing to consider, if you're handy or there are very handy people in your area, is whether you could "dress up" your fridge to look like that. I mean put new panels on it, etc. You'd have to be very handy but it can be done.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

our craigslist isn't very useful but I will try the google method just in case I get lucky. Iowa is not exactly a fashion leader, if you know what I mean. We're really happy to get up to date stuff. I'd probably find a 1970 fridge that doesn't work before I found anything I really wanted and even at that, the offerings are slim and none. There have been a few really old stoves in the last 6 months but from the look of them,,,,, no one would be able to get them working without spending the national debt.

On another note, I keep forgetting to post this advertising memorabilia site so today is the day. There are some flooring and appliance ads. What struck me the most was everyone must have been malnourished and a nervous wreck BUT there was something that would easily fix it. And the amount of ladies' underwear! There were no secrets in 1930! Notice the product itself was usually a small photo but whatever you could do with it was the full size of the page. Lots of yummy food pictures. I even printed some adds that had the recipe on it that I'm going to try.

Here is a link that might be useful: old ads

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Pinch me, thanks for wasting untold hours of my life. That link you posted is DANGEROUS!! I love it!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Dangerous link #2!! Look at the food! And the decor! And everything!

Here is a link that might be useful: magazine art

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Well, reading through those links, I finally learned what "Shinola" is. Now it makes sense.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

marcolo!! You must tell me so that I don't have to spend years of my life looking it up!

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Sorry.

But you'll enjoy it more.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Ideagirl--

**One detail I like: Old kitchens of the '20s through '40s with an undermount sink, rather than a farm or freestanding sink, typically have tiled-in sinks with a band of black or colored tile along the front edge of the counter surface.**
    Marcolo, do you have a link or photo of that? It sounds gorgeous, but I can't quite picture it. Waah!

Found it!

Reading all the recent posts about quartz counter edges chipping, I'm wondering if it's possible to do the main countertop surface in Caesarstone with only the edges in tile??

• John Liu
    13 years ago

Seems you'd cut the caesarstone to end 1'' (or whatever) short of the edge of the substrate, then tile that 1'' edge exactly as shown in your picture, with a filler strip underneath as needed to match the height of the surfaces of the tile and the stone. I think it would look great.

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

Marcolo, that is AWESOME. Thank you.
    I agree that there's no apparent reason you couldn't or shouldn't do that with quartz.

• ZacsDaddy
    13 years ago

Wow ... that looks like my current kitchen!

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Cool! Hey...you're not ripping that out, are you?!?!?

• ZacsDaddy
    13 years ago

Yup ... its all going. What you can't tell is the counter depth is at max 20" everywhere. The previous owner tried to be smart and installed a dishwasher by the stove, but its really impratical. I have to say, it looks much better in this photo than in reality. (This was the "staged" photo from when we purchased the house last year. The vinyl floor is painted red (and ripped all over the place), the cabinets and tiles are broken. I usually try to save as much as I can, but this time we're doing a full gut.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Well, it's nice to know I'm going to be paying a lot of money to look like your "before" picture!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Well, I just saved your staged photo to my inspiration folder. yeah, I know. I'm done. But next time.....

• ae2ga
    13 years ago

I LOVE the sink! And the window - yes, my pricey after pictures will be very similar to your before picture.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

marcolo!!, I did find that shinola still refers to the original meaning from way back when I was a little kid. Mystery solved!

So now I've saved both those counters/kitchens to my inspiration folder. It will be a lot easier next time. I'll have pictures of the real deal!

• marcolo
    13 years ago

I never understood the phrase at all. I thought it was just for the alliteration. But, think brown.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ae2ga --- that's so kind of you! I missed your post because we were away on vacation. Had to reply!