Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

What type of shelving should I put in reach-in pantry?

kaysd
12 years ago

I am working on a new kitchen design that will let me have a wider, shallower reach-in pantry area than originally planned. I originally had a space that was 42" wide by 24" deep, so I was going to do a larder cabinet with 16-18" deep shelves and narrow basket shelves on the cabinet doors. The new space is about 6' wide by 18" deep, so I am thinking of using just shelves that are 16-18" deep and using bi-fold doors to access the area. (Our previous house had a walk-in pantry / laundry room with two 4' wide x 18" deep shelf units, and the 18" depth worked well for us.)

I am trying to decide if the pantry area should just have drywall walls with simple painted or stained wood shelves installed by GC (probably cheaper), or if I should still have our cabinet makers make it like a cabinet with wood on all sides and probably a divider down the middle so we can have 3' long adjustable shelves on each side. WWYD?

Comments (11)

• pps7
    12 years ago

I would have your GC put in adjustable shelves. Something like Elfa can give you a lot of options and it's on sale right now. The main thing is to have solid shelves- not wire shelves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elfa

• lightlystarched
    12 years ago

I used Ikea Broder shelves - they are adjustable, but honestly, I've never moved them.

This is a picture through the doorway. The shelves themselves are suspended from the hanging rail on the top only.

• kirkhall
    12 years ago

Oh, I was also going to suggest Broder Ikea shelves. My pantry looks almost exactly like the one above.

They are easy to adjust, easy to install, inexpensive, heavy duty, and my GC actually recommended Ikea because "you won't find anything else for that price as good".

In our pantry, we have one wall with using the hanging rod only (like above), and one with the "feet". It had to do with the length of our walls, I think. Anyway, they both work great!

• lightlystarched
    12 years ago

I had my GC put in 2x4s in the pantry walls at the height I knew I would install the hanging rails...so all I had to do was screw them right in. Then I just hung the vertical parts. The shelves are standard 1x12 lumber, painted white. Easy and very, very heavy duty.

• buckheadhillbilly
    12 years ago

For my last pantry, I measured all my standard items, cereal boxes, canned goods, ketchup, etc. and made the shelves that far apart. That worked great for 20 years, so I did it again. The only changes this time were that I used 3/4" plywood with a nosing and instead of painting it white (never clean!), I stained it black. It's the sexiest pantry in town! By the way, my shelves are 12" deep which is deep enough for the dispenser boxes of canned tomatoes.

• theresa2
    12 years ago

I just helped my daughter do her pantry. She used Elfa. She used narrow shelves so that food items could be stored one item deep and not lost behind other items. Deeper shelves are nice for storing small appliances. My daughter talks about her pantry on her blog.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spices and Spackle

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Our pantry is for stuff not food. Our shelves are deep. We did the "extra heavy" coated wire shelving that you can buy at Home Depot or one of those places. Rubbermaid maybe? Not glamorous but practical.

It brings light into the back & bottom of the rows. Fewer shadows and quicker finding of items. No regrets.
    __

by the way, I haven't seen a mention of the "Sagulator" lately, which is useful when trying to decide how many braces to put under board shelves. Here it is...

Here is a link that might be useful: the Sagulator

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

oouuhhhh!! I love Hillbilly's pantry!

I hadn't been able to work out shelving for my pantry before we moved in a few days before Thanksgiving. I needed to get something organized in my house before hosting the holiday. My carpenter recommended the Rubbermaid adjustable shelving system with MDF shelves at HD. I really, really wanted something more custom looking, but settled for this as it was cheap, could be done in a day, and meant that I could UNPACK!

The shevles are 12" deep and are adjustable, although, like someone else mentioned, I doubt I'll adjust them. Carpenter said it was cheaper to do adjustable shelves than fixed. grrrr.

Oh, and BTW, that pantry was much more organized before DH came out from a visit in there and said, "there's a lot more room in the pantry now." He mushed everything together and put Christmas junk in there. Another grrrrr.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

oh, breezy, he didn't really! Time to visit his toolbench, I'd say:)

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Colorfast--Oh. Yes. He. Did. Can you see the boxes of chocolates, candy, and crackers in there? Uh huh. Shove, cram, shove. I've straightened it up a lot since I took that pic last month.

And his tool bench? I don't even think I could find it in the garage with all his cr@p out there.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!