Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fenster4

Kitchen remodel - beneath baseboard question

fenster4
10 years ago

Hi,

I am planning on laying down a new floor and I ripped out the base board but I am now unsure of what to do. There is some black spotting and a gap that I am unsure of what to do. Can someone take a look atbthebpictures and tell me what you think?

Comments (14)

• aries61
    10 years ago

No pictures are showing up.

• fenster4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the first pic

• fenster4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pic 2

• fenster4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry aries61, just got the pictures up.

• fenster4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any suggestions?

• jgopp
    10 years ago

Are you asking if there is mold under your baseboard? It's very possible, I'm not sure what you're planning on remodeling though... A lot of people I've worked with would tell you to remove the drywall 3 feet upward and replace it. Though it looks like you have plaster...

From the pictures it's hard to tell if this is a big problem that goes up into your walls along the cabinetry or not. It would be best to talk to someone who knows this issue better. If you're worried it might be mold you need to be prepared for a big clean up and expense. Hopefully the issue is just localized which, to my admittedly non expert eye, may be the case.

Good luck.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

What kind of new floor are you laying? Are you worried about where to take it up to? Or, are you worried about mold? If you can be more specific, we can help a little better.

If it's mold, it doesn't appear to be much, if that's what it is. Bleach & water would clean that up...if that's what it is.

• User
    10 years ago

What floor are you laying? Are you also planning to remove the cabinets to put the floor underneath? If you are installing a floor with some thickness, then if you don't do that, you will have some issues with appliance clearances.

• fenster4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Any suggestions?

• fenster4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, didn't see any other posts and now they suddenly show up. I am laying glueless laminate flooring. I am not as concerned with how high to take it up to as I am on what to do with that wood with the black spots behind the baseboard. Bleach and water cleanup? I doubt there is a serious mold problem because I am sure any mold on the wood was as a result of a few kitchen floods over the years and not a continuous moisture problem. Just wasn't sure if it looked like it needed to be replaced and what to do with that gap in the floor and the black substance in there.

• jellytoast
    10 years ago

The black substance in the gap is likely what is holding your current floor down, but I guess you'll find out when you pull it up.

I'd spray a little bleach and water on the spots you're concerned about and carry on. Your new baseboards will cover up the gap at the bottom of the drywall.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

I'm with jelly on bleach & water. I can't really see any black in the gap, other than I just thought it was a gap where no light was! But, it doesn't appear to be a big mold problem. If it was, you'd have it in more than just those couple of small places. If you do end up seeing more, post more pics so we can see. It grows pretty fast so if this were mold, I think you'd have more on there. Bleach & water & some elbow grease should kill what you have, if that is mold!

Good luck & let us see your new floors when you finish!

• fenster4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a closer picture. At the bottom of that crack it is lower than the floor so I don't think it is holding the current floor down but I could be wrong.

• bicyclegirl1
    10 years ago

I'm so not the one to help w/ this! If I were you, I'd go over to one of the other threads, maybe "Building a Home" or "Home Disasters" & post your pictures. Maybe someone on one of those can help you better. Or, you might get someone here that can give you feedback. Good luck!