Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanjuangirl

Whitehaus apron front sinks? Opinions needed Please!

sanjuangirl
11 years ago

I have found a really cool Whitehaus apron front sink at a good price that has the 70/30 split that I prefer. It has a lovely front and I think I can actually afford it, unlike another ultra expensive brand that I've been looking at.

I know nothing about this brand and cannot find a showroom that carries it anywhere near where I am. I would have to order it sight unseen from the internet. I would appreciate any information that you have on this sink. If you have one and could show me a picture of yours that would even be better!

Comments (12)

• sanjuangirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Opps, I forgot to mention that it's a fireclay sink. Here's an example of it in a single bowl configuation.

[Traditional Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Denver Kitchen And Bath Angela Otten; WmOhs Showrooms Inc

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Thats my sink in the picture. It's not installed yet but looks beautiful and sturdy. Plumber gave a thumbs up.
    What is cool about the sink is it is reversible. Fluted on one side and smooth with a thicker 2" rim on the opposite side. Of course DH and I have the disagreement. Of course I let him choose. Goodbye flutes.
    Now I've never had fireclay before but cant tell the difference between this and a GF's Shaws

• sanjuangirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So exciting to hear that your plumber thought it was a good one! Where did you purchase it? Had you seen it in person before you bought it?

• friedajune
    11 years ago

I recall a number of threads mentioning Whitehaus sinks - I'll link one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread about Whitehaus Sinks

• nap101
    11 years ago

I'm actually considering a whitehaus sink myself. The front runner is still the whitehaven, but I may not be able to have full counter depth and need to consider options that are not so wide front to back.

Is there any difference in durability long term between that and a shaw's? Or is it just the name and the look that causes the price increase. I swear I've read every post on this site regarding white farmhouse sinks at least 3 times and still don't know what to do.

• sanjuangirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I don't know,if the Rohl/Shaw sinks are sturdier, I've seen a few posts about issues with them as well.

The Whitehaus is one of the only apron front sinks w the 2 bowl configuration that split unevenly. It also has a prettier shape and the lovely fronts that many others don't, plus they're less expensive! I wish I could see one in person. Do you live near a showroom?

• quiltgirl
    11 years ago

nap101, I feel just like you do. Have not looked at the Whitehaus, but now I will throw it into the mix!

• sanjuangirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, we're an indecisive bunch! My friend was over the other night as I was discussing these finer points of sink selection and she just rolled her eyes and said "buy one already"! I'm not usually indecisive but I never knew that sinks has become so expensive with so many options.

• nap101
    11 years ago

The other issue I keep going back to is the expensive countertop that I'm putting on top of it. It's really a big commitment to that particular sink.

I want it to last forever of course.

I've read good and bad things about almost every sink.

• julieste
    11 years ago

I found a note I'd written to myself after reading a gazillion posts about sinks in the past week. My conclusion was not to buy one because there had been problems with this company. Do a search, and you'll find the old threads where people describe their problems with these cracking.

• deveson
    10 years ago

We'll we went through the same dilemma.. I just knew that I loved the farmhouse style period. Yes we installed granite counter tops too so we had that to consider. The one and only thing that scared me the most was it being fire clay and that it might chip. Drove an hour away to the only whitehaus show room. Loved it! The store wanted over 1,100 for it. I ordered it , very nervously from vintage tub and bath.com for just under $700. They were so wonderful I plan on ordering from them again. In that price I got the grid and drain. The sinks an investment so the stainless steel grid is a must.
    I have had no problems cleaning it or chips/ marks. I only had it installed for 4 month. Everyone loves the sink. Only bad thing is I lost some room under the sink.

• User
    10 years ago

I've had the Whitehaus single bowl for 3 or 4 years. I bought mine from bluebath.com. At the time I bought mine EVERYONE bought a Shaw's for considerably more money. There were some comments but since it was my money I was spending I went ahead and got the Whitehaus at bluebath. Everything is fine. I did buy a grate later. I've read some people run COLD water into their sink before they pour boiling water from the potatoes or spaghetti but that made no sense to me. If you are afraid of cracking it, wouldn't you pour hot water into it first? Less of a temperature change. I don't do either. I just dump the hot or cold water in it and go about my business. I bought the single bowl so I could wash the roaster and pressure cooker. I have a dishwasher and rarely wash anything by hand so the single bowl works better for me.