Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzienj

Help pick a granite with movement see our pics

suzienj
15 years ago

We have picked our cabinet (Shiloh- maple, Hazelnut (Color), Mocha (Glaze)

THese are kitchen cabinet pics-

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Paint is going to be SW Blonde *see pics of blonde- yellowish color

BLONDE--

{{!gwi}}

Also Blonde

{{!gwi}}

Tile is a neutral (see pic-- the tile is the large tile on the board-- It is just going to be large versions of that tile (not the fancy pieces in the middle) just the plain tile.. I have 2 pics -- the second pic has some other fancy tile pieces with it - again its just the large plain tile in the pic.. see it for color

KITCHEN TILE

{{!gwi}}

THis is the wood that will be outside of the kitchen (in dining room/living room)-- you can see the kitchen tile sample is sitting on top of the wood sample in this picture.

{{!gwi}}

We are going for traditional style. We are looking for suggestions for the granite color- SHOW US YOUR GRANITE that you think would look good - we are looking for movement... thank you!!

Comments (21)

• christinamc
    15 years ago

I'm no expert, but just finished a kitchen update with very similar colors to yours. Unfortunately, I haven't got pics yet. I'm not really answering your question, but wanted to share my input regarding picking backsplash materials to go with your granite choice.

Two tile stores employees told me to wait to pick backsplash materials until after the granite is installed. For us, this turned out to be excellent advice, because we ended up changing our b/s tile from our original idea.

We kept existing medium stained cabinets. We have natural Swedish finish red oak floors. Walls were painted BM Monroe Bisque to match FR, which is a neutral gold with green undertones. All new SS appliances.

We picked Santa Cecelia granite with less gold/rust than most, with more neutral beige/brown/cream/black. I would say it has a medium amount of "movement".

We were going to go with a travertine stone backsplash, but it kept looking too pink next to the granite. DH really wanted travertine. In the end, we picked glossy 3x6 subway tile in almond. We added a 2" accent of mosaic tiles in random 1" travertine and dark brown glossy glass tiles 2/3 up from the countertop. It looks striking and we really like it. We put the accent tile up higher to avoid running it into the switch plates, but the added bonus is that it isn't hidden by appliances or other stuff on the counters. We also did xenon undercabinet lights.

Before the granite was installed, I was afraid it would be too busy for my taste. Like you, I was going to go with a plain, neutral tile b/s because I didn't want too much pattern. However, once the granite was in, I was surprised that adding the accent tile to the b/s really made the colors in the granite pop and gave a more designer look.

I'll be watching this thread to see what OP recommend for a granite choice for you. Good luck.

• suzienj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

THANK YOU SO MUCH Christina-- post pics when you get a chance- would love ot see it-- and thanks for the advise- i just shared it with hubby. I hope to see your pics soon!!

• jen19083
    15 years ago

Suzi,
    My cabs are a similar color. Because I have narrower countertops, I ended up deciding I didn't want a lot of movement. I also sort of liked the look of a "cooler" granite against the warmer cabs. I chose bianco romano, as you can see in my pics below. (As you can see, I'm still in mid-reno).

Had I gone a different direction - warmer, more movement, there were a lot of granite slabs I really liked: Typhoon Bordeaux, Colonial Gold, and Golden Beach - slabs also posted below.

Good luck choosing!

This one is Colonial Gold:

Here is Typhoon Bordeaux:

{{!gwi}}

Gallio Falesia (sp?):

{{!gwi}}

Golden Beach:

• christinamc
    15 years ago

Sorry, I thought you were talking about your tile backsplash, but when I re-read your post, I realized--I think--that you were talking about your tile floors? I think any neutral beige floor will look great.

Okay, I just set up a photobucket account, let's see if I can insert a picture....

• suzienj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Christina- I AM talking about my Granite countertops- I'm trying to figure out what granite to pick to add some excitement to the neutral tones of the cabinet, flooring, etc. Thanks for the download- I love the pic- would love to see more- ie your cabinet- looks so pretty!

Jen- THANK YOU So much for the pics. I just saw Typhoon Bordeaux on someone elses link and LOVE IT== i want to see it in person now. And i love some of your other suggestions. I will check them all out. PS your kitchen is beautiful. So nice to see finished products. I really like your kitchen faucet- what is that (who makes it / what style?) Are you happy with it?
    Your floor is so nice too-- !

• djosie
    15 years ago

I have similar colors but have a slate floor. We have oro persa granite. Lots of movement and absolutely the star of the kitchen. I think it would look fantastic in your kitchen as well.

• suzienj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

DJ any pics?

• djosie
    15 years ago

Sorry I don't have any posted but it is also called golden persa. It has dots of garnet in it and large areas of creamy white. I will try to get pictures soon. We started on the kitchen 17 months ago and that caused us to remodel the entire house. I'm ready to be done.

• christinamc
    15 years ago

Suzi,
    Here is a pic of my 15-year-old cabinets. DH said no way to new ones. Now I'm glad he did, because the economy went south after we started our plans, but also because with the new counters, hardware and b/s, I like them again.

Here is a before picture:

Hope these photos are somewhat helpful. I (obviously) really like the colors you've chosen. I know it's an agonizing process at times, but it is worth it. Thanks to all the helpful people at GW Kitchens for the support.

• suzienj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Christina- Wow what a diff. the granite and hardware made with your kitchen- LOOKS GREAT!!!!!!!!

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

We used Golden Queen, and this particular slab had tons of movement. I've posted one picture below, but if you click on that picture, you can see more pictures of the kitchen. I'm in a rush and I don't have time to copy more pictures, sorry.

• jen19083
    15 years ago

Suzi,
    Thanks - it's nice to have an end in sight!

To answer your question - my faucet is Kohler Simplice. So far I really like it. Mind you, it's only been installed for a little less than a week now.

Good luck with your choices!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

How about Yellow River? Excuse the white template lines.

• sarahandbray
    15 years ago

My absolute, hands down, favorite slabs are these two--Yellow River and Wild West (I know you said NOTHING about green...but I just love looking at it...feel free to disregard!!)

Yellow River:

Wild West

Sarah

• secondlouise
    15 years ago

I am new to this forum and I also need help. I looked at a granite warehouse yesterday and some ideas for granite with movement and cream, yellow, brownish etc. are: Yellow River, Typhoon Bordeaux, Delicaties, and Juparana Wave. I want to go with Juparana Wave because the sample I saw has a lot of movement but is not too dark. Have any of you seen this granite and if so, what color small glass tiles could be used for a back splash or would it be better to let the granite speak for itself? What do you plan to do? Good luck in your search.

• _usernameblank_
    15 years ago

We have maple cabinets with a mocha glaze and installed Juparana Persa Brown granite. We felt the brown matched our cabinets better than the standard Juparana Persa. Sometimes I think we may have gone a bit too dark, but everyone who has seen it loves it. One thing we haven't decided on is what to do with the wall at the back of the stove. The granite has so much movement that we haven't found anything we loved that would match it. We did go with a 4" backspash in all other areas.

If I get a chance, I'll try and take a picture and upload it. Unfortunately, every picture I've taken so far doesn't represent the kitchen very well.

• _usernameblank_
    15 years ago

Here's the picture of my granite:

{{!gwi}}

And here's the picture of my kitchen:

{{!gwi}}

• franki1962
    15 years ago

sailorman,
    I also ended up at marblecity in No. Cal and for me they had the best selections of granites compared to any of the other 7 or so places I went.

We chose Blue Brazil, tons of movment but very dark as we have a wall of windows in the kitchen..

Slab at yard

same slab installed

• suzienj
    Original Author
    15 years ago

La Cocina- I LOOOVE your granite- what is it? I would love to see your floors too-do you have more pics? What is your cabinet?

• _usernameblank_
    15 years ago

Thank you! Our granite is called Juparana Persa Brown. Our cabinets were purchased from a local cabinet importer and were fairly inexpensive. Our house was built in the 1920's and we decided to stick with the same type of flooring, white oak with a natural finish.

{{!gwi}}