Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

How big is your pantry?

kam76
11 years ago

And do you feel it is too big or too small or just right? What do you use it to store? Just food or appliances you don't use often, canning supplies? Any other uses (a broom close?t). Mine is 20 square feet but it is layed out poorly in an L shape with really deep shelves on one side (about 2 feet deep shelves) that totally loose everything I put on them. I pretty much only store my canned/dried goods/spices. I'd like to be able to have some cleaning supplies, my infrequently used appliances (bread maker) my canning stuff/jars/pots etc. Currently all of those things are in the garage.

Comments (2)

• brianstreehouse
    11 years ago

Mine is 6 feet x 11 feet. We added on this space when we squared up the footprint. I love it. It has Swedish shelving on the long walls. It houses canned, boxed and dry goods, liquor, cook books, paper goods, vac hose, brooms, cleaning supplies, has a pot rack, and space for bread machine, mixer, cookie cutters, roasting pan, and plasticware. I wish it were more tidy. I have a hard time convincing the rest of the family that there is a place for everything and every thing in its place. I do group many items in sturdy dishpans from the dollar store. It makes it easy to pull out a bin for baking cookies or for snack foods.

Brian

• Mizinformation
    11 years ago

We're mid-remodel, but getting rid of our 3x6 walk-in pantry (that space will be a shower in the adjoining bathroom, eventually). We'll build a Hoosier-style cabinet to replace it on the range run, with a 30-inch-deep x 4-ft wide base, and 15-inch deep upper sitting on the base, with appliance garage on the counter for mixers and small appliances, and shelves for canned goods and everyday pantry items above, and baking goods and larger storage items in the 30-in-deep drawers below. We can get rid of some pantry storage in the kitchen because we have a 15'x8' "root cellar" in the basement; it's actually much nicer than a root cellar: an unheated, unfinished concrete walled and floored room that stays cool but not cold all year, with jelly cupboards, wine storage, etc., and that's where I store most of my canning and brewing equipment, cases of drinks, extra paper goods, odd holiday dishes, garden produce for winter, etc. It's a bit too cool and moist for squash, but perfect for most other long-storage vegetables.

In your case, perhaps consider having a 24" deep shelf at counter-height, with space below for 24" deep shelves (or no shelves) for larger items such as cases of drinks, large stockpots or other cumbersome items, big bags/boxed goods, etc. Store a few small appliances on the counter (perhaps even with outlets, so you can use them in place), and then shallower (12"-15") shelves above for storing canned goods and other items. That way you still have full use of the 24" deep space, but more organized shelves above. In my experience, a little more space at shoulder level can make the pantry seem larger and brighter. Perhaps lay out your usual pantry items on the floor as if they were on a wall of shelves, and measure how high each shelf needs to be so you can group items on the right-sized shelves. Just an idea! Good luck and have fun!