Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rocketmomkd_gw

Your experience with Kashmir white granite?

rocketmomkd
12 years ago

I thought I was going with black granite and I still might, to go with our white cabinets. But I've been looking at kitchen pics with kashmir white granite and I really love that look as well. I'm going to look at some in person this week. But I'm wondering if it's more suseptible to staining or needs more care than darker granite. If you have Kashmir white, what can you tell me about it?

Comments (17)

• ellendi
    12 years ago

A good friend of mine has Kashmir white granite. In her kitchen is has a slight greenish hue to it. She has cream cabinets and tiles.

• nini804
    12 years ago

I put Kashmir White in my dd's bath and in the guest room bath for the vanities. Both vanities are white painted maple with crystal knobs. I really wanted marble in these baths...but with a 9 year old daughter who will one day be a teen (shudder) I DID NOT want to police her vanity for errant make up spills, etc. The granite showroom consultant said this was as close to a marble look as you could get with a granite. I beg to differ....it looks nothing like my marble. But, it is holding up very well, no stains or problems. It just looks very dark against my white cabs...I don't think of it as white.

• singingmicki
    12 years ago

I love the look of mine. It was just what I was looking for. I have had a couple of instances of staining in the kitchen. One was with red koolaid, but a poultice of baking soda overnight took it out with no problems. Grease has been the biggest issue. Any oil left on for a while leaves a stain tht doesn't easily come out. For instance, when plating some steaks, some juice, which contained some fats and oil, ran down the plate. We didn't notice and left it while we ate dinner. DH cleaned the kitchen that night and didn't notice the plate, so it sat there overnight. The next morning, when I cleared the plate, there was a half circle stain. I used a flour and hydrogen peroxide poultice, and it lightened the stain considerably, but it is not completely gone. Fortunately, there's a lot of gray movement in my stone, so it blends in. I've started cooking with a placemat next to the cooktop to put my spoon rest and serving dishes on while I plate things.

I still love the look of my counters, but if I had known just how porous they were, I might have tried to find something I liked just as much. If I didn't find something else I loved, however, I still would get them, even though they're porous.

• funnysunny
    12 years ago

We've had Kashmir White in our kitchen for almost four months. No problems w staining yet. Our granite installer sealed our granite twice, once pre-install and once post-install. They told us to re-seal every six months or earlier if we notice the seal wearing off.

I had darker granite in previous kitchens, which were rentals apts. And I admit I'm more careful w the Kashmir, but that is in large part due the fact I'm slightly more educated abt caring for granite. In my rentals, I regularly cleaned the granite w 409, clorax clean-up spray, and other similar products. I now know better. I use mainly soap and water on the Kasmir, and once in awhile I'll use the method granite cleaner. I never sealed the dark granite and have no idea if I needed to. We plan on sealing the Kasmir every six months.

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

We have Kashmir White in our laundry & master bath. We have KW's cousin River Valley in the kitchen on our 4.5' x 9' island. We haven't had any problem with staining, but we have noticed if liquid sits for an extended period of time it leaves a darker spot on the stone but it is temporary--like if you spilled water on a rock and then let it dry. Sealing helps.

• jasperdog
    12 years ago

I had a prep table made for my old kitchen with Kashmir white top and dark cherry-stained oak bottom. It turned out fantastic and has required minimal maintenance over the years.

• rocketmomkd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the input on KW. I can't wait to go see it in person, althought I am hoping for more of a grey tone to it than a greenish one like ellendi mentioned.
    singing- grease is the thing I read about being the biggest problem. I'm glad to hear the stains on yours blend in. The counters we just ripped out were laminate, so I always kept a clear glass cutting board next to the cooktop as a landing for hot pots and baking trays. Maybe I could just continue that practice.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

We have the Kashmir Gold which has gray to gray-blue tones. It has a "lifetime" sealer on it, so I don't anticipate having to re-seal. No issues with staining, etc. Our KG seems pretty light to me - I've seen KW which is lighter and KG which is darker, but ours seems to be in that middle ground. We had originally thought we'd go with a green paint for the walls, but when we chose this granite we picked up the blue tones instead.

• Debbi Branka
    12 years ago

Funnysunny - why no Clorox Kleenup on your granite? I use it about once every 2 weeks on my blue pearl and haven't noticed a problem. Am I not supposed to?

• funnysunny
    12 years ago

@ deb52899: i read somewhere you shouldn't use products containing bleach to clean granite. if i'm mistaken, someone please let me know so i can bust out the clorax again.

@rocketmomkd: our kw doesn't have the greenish hue, but it does have a few green flicks. it's more of a creamy color with gray.

• Shawna11
    12 years ago

suzannesl, what color paint did you end up chosing?

• mydreamhome
    12 years ago

On the color variations topic of KW--the one we have in the laundry has more yellow/gold tones to it while the one in the bathroom has alot of grey movement and flow to it with no noticeable hue. I would classify both as being a creamy/whipped white color to a certain extent. They were not the same lot--laundry was a remnant & bathroom was a whole slab that was selected for the unusual movement & flow it had. You really just have to go and see what the stone yard has in stock. Remember to take your cabinet door sample with you when you go to pick your granite out!

• regina_phalange
    12 years ago

We had originally put a couple slabs of kashmir white on hold and were setting up to have it fabricated for our kitchen. I loved it and went home to look up photos of kitchens with this granite and instead I found site after site of people complaining about staining. It really freaked me out and I brought up my concerns with our fabricator. They doubled sealed a sample of the kashmir white for us to take home and I did some testing with it. I put a few different things on the granite for about 10-20 minutes. Tomato sauce, oil and juice. All 3 stained horribly after I cleaned them off. I have read there are things you can do to get out stains but I certainly did not want to deal with a high maintenance granite like that, especially with 3 young children. We ditched the kashmir and went with something darker. I do like the look of the kashmir better though.

• rocketmomkd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

regina- that was a great idea to test the KW in your own home. The staining is what I'm afraid of. I'm going to the stone yard today, maybe I can get a small sample from them.Thanks for that info!

• gitybuxton
    10 years ago

My Kashmere White worktop is ugly and looks like a slab of cement. The Showroom work top that I saw, chose and paid for over ã4000. is light and pretty. Despite admitting that my work top is "VERY DIFFERENT" , the shop insists that because they are both called Kashmere White they can do nothing.
    My Kitchen design has been ruined because of this colour . Every day I go to my kitchen and think I did not choose and order this worktop.I would not have chosen this colour for my kitchen even if it was free.

Can anyone help me to resolve this problem please.

• KelinMD
    10 years ago

I wasn't aware that granite could have staining issues! I thought that bc it was so hard it was less prone to that. Thanks for the heads up. I am switching from marble for this reason...I did my etch test and know I can't live with a counter that never looks clean. My friend has the carrara island and said it is a nightmare and will need to be replaced/resurfaced within two years of normal family use. It looks awful. I will do the same test on KW now, thank you!!

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio